FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-15-2008, 08:00 AM
Florian Diesch
 
Default Selling Linux to Windows Users

"Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2008/12/10 Michael Haney <thezorch@gmail.com>:
>> It disturbs me to see such comments from Linux Advocates. It really
>> does and it worries me.
>>
>
> I know, the truth hurts. I have installed Fedora and Ubuntu on over 20
> peoples' computers. I help people move thier Windows systems to Linux.
> However, it is not for everybody. I only install Linux for people that
> _asked_ me to after seeing my own computer. I then tell them that they
> can't have it because it is not 'ready'. Only after they convince me
> that Linux is ready for them to I do the install.
>
> I do believe that Ubuntu will be ready. But not yet.

Computers aren't ready for most people yet. Or maybe people aren't
ready for computers yet. But at least you have to choice of what
problems you want to have


> Congress? Hollywood? I don't live in America, sorry, and if American
> policies restrict American citizens then so be it. I am using a South
> African Linux distro in Israel,

The Ubuntu Foundation is placed in GB (Isle of Man). It's just Mark
who is from South Africa.


Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
** Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your signature, please! **
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-15-2008, 08:23 AM
Florian Diesch
 
Default Selling Linux to Windows Users

Knapp <magick.crow@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Gilles.
> Commercial developers of Linux.
>
> You missed a big one here. This one was a bit of a shock to me. KDE
> was not free! To be more exact QT (the lib of KDE) is a company.
> http://trolltech.com/about/open-source-business-model
> I always thought it was just like the kernal.

Qt is available under GPL, so it's free. It's available under a
commercial licence, too, for people developing closed source
software. That's a quite common business model in the FOSS world.

When KDE started Qt wasn't free, there just was a 'free for
non-commercial use' type of license. This led to much discussions and
flame wars, and ultimately to make GTK independent of The Gimp and to GNOME.



Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
** Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your signature, please! **
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-15-2008, 08:42 AM
Knapp
 
Default Selling Linux to Windows Users

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 10:23 AM, Florian Diesch <diesch@spamfence.net> wrote:
> Knapp <magick.crow@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Gilles.
>> Commercial developers of Linux.
>>
>> You missed a big one here. This one was a bit of a shock to me. KDE
>> was not free! To be more exact QT (the lib of KDE) is a company.
>> http://trolltech.com/about/open-source-business-model
>> I always thought it was just like the kernal.
>
> Qt is available under GPL, so it's free. It's available under a
> commercial licence, too, for people developing closed source
> software. That's a quite common business model in the FOSS world.
>
> When KDE started Qt wasn't free, there just was a 'free for
> non-commercial use' type of license. This led to much discussions and
> flame wars, and ultimately to make GTK independent of The Gimp and to GNOME.
>
>
>
> Florian

Just to be clear, I said, "WAS not free", "not IS not free"
Also as best as I can tell the gui making tools are still not free. I
respect the rights of a company to work this way to make a profit but
it would be nice to have the gui editor free also. Perhaps I miss one
that is free?

--
Douglas E Knapp

Amazon Gift Cards; let them choose!!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001078FFE?ie=UTF8&tag=seattlebujinkand&linkCode=a s2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B001078FF E

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-15-2008, 10:52 AM
Florian Diesch
 
Default Selling Linux to Windows Users

Knapp <magick.crow@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 10:23 AM, Florian Diesch <diesch@spamfence.net> wrote:
>> Knapp <magick.crow@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>> Gilles.
>>> Commercial developers of Linux.
>>>
>>> You missed a big one here. This one was a bit of a shock to me. KDE
>>> was not free! To be more exact QT (the lib of KDE) is a company.
>>> http://trolltech.com/about/open-source-business-model
>>> I always thought it was just like the kernal.
>>
>> Qt is available under GPL, so it's free. It's available under a
>> commercial licence, too, for people developing closed source
>> software. That's a quite common business model in the FOSS world.
>>
>> When KDE started Qt wasn't free, there just was a 'free for
>> non-commercial use' type of license. This led to much discussions and
>> flame wars, and ultimately to make GTK independent of The Gimp and to GNOME.
>>
> Just to be clear, I said, "WAS not free", "not IS not free"
> Also as best as I can tell the gui making tools are still not free. I
> respect the rights of a company to work this way to make a profit but
> it would be nice to have the gui editor free also. Perhaps I miss one
> that is free?

The Qt Designer is released under GPL. There isn't a *commercial*
license for Designer.


Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
** Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your signature, please! **
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-16-2008, 04:22 AM
Christopher Chan
 
Default Selling Linux to Windows Users

> For now, if I can find a way to login a user via the gdm but from a
> shell prompt, I would not even need a user at the remote machine to help
> me do anything at all!

vpn + setup gdm to accept remote login sessions?

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-16-2008, 04:41 AM
Christopher Chan
 
Default Selling Linux to Windows Users

>>From my experience the most useful and flexible financial software is
> that marketed by Sage. There are several versions suitable for business
> from small to large. I used to teach computerised accounting and Sage
> was the only software considered to be suitable for training and
> examination. I have written to them some 3 years ago when Ubuntu was
> getting going but received the standard reply that they had no plans to
> port their software to Linux.

Accpac is available on Linux IIRC.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-16-2008, 04:43 AM
Christopher Chan
 
Default Selling Linux to Windows Users

>> >From my experience the most useful and flexible financial software is
>>> that marketed by Sage. There are several versions suitable for
>>> business from small to large. I used to teach computerised accounting
>>> and Sage was the only software considered to be suitable for training
>>> and examination. I have written to them some 3 years ago when Ubuntu
>>> was getting going but received the standard reply that they had no
>>> plans to port their software to Linux.
>
> imo, there is no accounting software to beat SQL-Ledger... The biggest
> problem with it is that it's all written in Perl :-(

Scratch that. I MODIFIED SQL-Ledger to make it fit the needs of the
accounting department. But that was about two years ago. Maybe the
latest version has segment support.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-16-2008, 04:47 AM
Christopher Chan
 
Default Selling Linux to Windows Users

>>From my experience the most useful and flexible financial software is
> that marketed by Sage. There are several versions suitable for business
> from small to large. I used to teach computerised accounting and Sage
> was the only software considered to be suitable for training and
> examination. I have written to them some 3 years ago when Ubuntu was
> getting going but received the standard reply that they had no plans to
> port their software to Linux.
>

I was going to write a qt4 app to mimic accpac two years ago with
firebirdsql as the backend but alas, it never did quite get off the ground.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-16-2008, 02:20 PM
"H.S."
 
Default Selling Linux to Windows Users

Christopher Chan wrote:
>> For now, if I can find a way to login a user via the gdm but from a
>> shell prompt, I would not even need a user at the remote machine to help
>> me do anything at all!
>
> vpn + setup gdm to accept remote login sessions?
>

Not familiar with this, so I could give it a shot. But is vpn necessary?
Wouldn't ssh be sufficient?

--

Please reply to this list only. I read this list on its corresponding
newsgroup on gmane.org. Replies sent to my email address are just
filtered to a folder in my mailbox and get periodically deleted without
ever having been read.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-16-2008, 11:27 PM
Christopher Chan
 
Default Selling Linux to Windows Users

H.S. wrote:
> Christopher Chan wrote:
>>> For now, if I can find a way to login a user via the gdm but from a
>>> shell prompt, I would not even need a user at the remote machine to help
>>> me do anything at all!
>> vpn + setup gdm to accept remote login sessions?
>>
>
> Not familiar with this, so I could give it a shot. But is vpn necessary?
> Wouldn't ssh be sufficient?
>

I am not sure...look up XDMCP. I believe you can tell Xnest or whatever
you use to lookup a display manager by ip but I don't know if you can do
that with ssh redirection and pointing to localhost. I have not tried that.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:24 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org