-   -   8.10 audio and video help (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/208595-8-10-audio-video-help.html)

Alexia Hudspeth 12-09-2008 09:50 AM

8.10 audio and video help

Hello, I have Ubuntu 8.10 and this is my first linux distro. I am having sound and playback issues with mplayer while trying to play any file. Also all I get with any sound, including the start up tone, is static that sounds to me like a blown speaker. I am a hardware, not a software tech so this is very perplexing to me.
For the record, I have a Toshiba L305d-s5892, stock, just in case you need to know. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
-alex

Suspicious message? There’s an alert for that. Get your Hotmail® account now.

"Karl F. Larsen" 12-09-2008 11:54 AM

8.10 audio and video help

Alexia Hudspeth wrote:
> Hello, I have Ubuntu 8.10 and this is my first linux distro. I am having sound and playback issues with mplayer while trying to play any file. Also all I get with any sound, including the start up tone, is static that sounds to me like a blown speaker. I am a hardware, not a software tech so this is very perplexing to me.
> For the record, I have a Toshiba L305d-s5892, stock, just in case you need to know. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
> -alex

> Suspicious message? There’s an alert for that.
> http://windowslive.com/Explore/hotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_hotmail_acq_broad2_12200 8

If you let the installer get all the updates for 8.10 then your
sound should be fixed. Mine was on my laptop. Your video problem should
be helped with updates too.

Karl

Nigel Henry 12-09-2008 12:14 PM

8.10 audio and video help

On Tuesday 09 December 2008 11:50, Alexia Hudspeth wrote:
> Hello, I have Ubuntu 8.10 and this is my first linux distro. I am having
> sound and playback issues with mplayer while trying to play any file. Also
> all I get with any sound, including the start up tone, is static that
> sounds to me like a blown speaker. I am a hardware, not a software tech so
> this is very perplexing to me. For the record, I have a Toshiba
> L305d-s5892, stock, just in case you need to know. Thanks in advance for
> any help you can provide. -alex

Hi Alex.

Open a terminal, and post back the output of the following commands please.

cat /proc/asound/cards
grep ^ Codec /proc/asound/card?/codec*
lspci -vn (just the bit for the soundcard)
lsmod | grep snd

While the terminal is open, open alsamixer with the command below, and you'll
see all the controls for your soundcard.

alsamixer -D hw:0

There may be something muted (the M key toggles mute/unmute), and right, and
left arrow keys allow you to scroll along the different controls. The usual
controls that need to be pushed up are, Master, PCM, Front, CD (if they
exist). The ESC key will close alsamixer.

A bit of Google shows this laptop to be a very new model, and may not yet be
supported in the alsa driver, or you may just have to set a model option, as
with other toshiba laptops. Post back the info first though.

All the best.

Nigel.