Old 12-09-2008, 08:17 AM
"Sandy Harris"

Default De-virus USB after Windows?

I have a Linux box at home, but I'm a teacher and the classroom machines
are poorly set up XP boxes where students have administrator access.
Some, but not all, have anti-virus software but without Internet, so it is
not updated. I cannot fix them; not my job and it is XP in Chinese.

My larger USB sticks have no read-only switch. Almost every time I
use one for a class, it gets various Windows virus files. .exe, .inf
and .com extensions. I delete these from Linux when I get home.

Has anyone got a tool for this? Not a hard script to write, but it
seemed worth asking first.

--
Sandy Harris,
Quanzhou, Fujian, China

Old 12-09-2008, 08:22 AM
Gilles Gravier

Install CLAMAV...

Gilles.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:03 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Sandy Harris wrote:
> I have a Linux box at home, but I'm a teacher and the classroom machines
> are poorly set up XP boxes where students have administrator access.
> Some, but not all, have anti-virus software but without Internet, so it is
> not updated. I cannot fix them; not my job and it is XP in Chinese.
>
> My larger USB sticks have no read-only switch. Almost every time I
> use one for a class, it gets various Windows virus files. .exe, .inf
> and .com extensions. I delete these from Linux when I get home.
>
> Has anyone got a tool for this? Not a hard script to write, but it
> seemed worth asking first.

Try searching for ClamAV. It's an antivirus kind of geared for email
servers, but you can run "clamscan" at the command line to search for
malware and remove the buggers.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:33 PM
NoOp

On 12/09/2008 01:17 AM, Sandy Harris wrote:
> I have a Linux box at home, but I'm a teacher and the classroom machines
> are poorly set up XP boxes where students have administrator access.
> Some, but not all, have anti-virus software but without Internet, so it is
> not updated. I cannot fix them; not my job and it is XP in Chinese.
>
> My larger USB sticks have no read-only switch. Almost every time I
> use one for a class, it gets various Windows virus files. .exe, .inf
> and .com extensions. I delete these from Linux when I get home.
>
> Has anyone got a tool for this? Not a hard script to write, but it
> seemed worth asking first.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Antivirus

The links will open help pages on help.ubuntu or in the case of avast!
it will take you to the avast! home page. I use ClamAV and AVG; AVG as
that is what I also use on my Windows drives.