Old 12-09-2008, 05:37 AM
"Stephanus Hikmat"

Default Share directory

*Hello Linuxer,*I
'm a new comer which still learn how to install system completely. When I
want to share a directory, I found message
"net usershare' returned error
255: net usershare: cannot open usershare directory
/var/lib/samba/usershares. Error Permission denied
You do not have
permission to create a usershare. Ask your administrator to grant you
permissions to create a share."
May give me advise to solve this problem
?
Thank you* in advance.

Regards,

S.Hikmat

Old 12-09-2008, 01:17 PM
"Brian McKee"

> I 'm a new comer which still learn how to install system completely. When I
> want to share a directory, I found message
> "net usershare' returned error 255: net usershare: cannot open usershare
> directory /var/lib/samba/usershares. Error Permission denied
> grant you permissions to create a share."
> May give me advise to solve this problem ?

From the man page
> Starting with version 3.0.23, a Samba server now supports the ability for non-root users to add user-defined shares to be
> exported using the "net usershare" commands.
> Members of the UNIX group "sambashare" can create user-defined shares on demand using the commands below.

It looks like

1 - you need to be part of the sambashare usergroup - are you?
2 - check the syntax of your command - it looks like you should be
doing 'net usershare add foldername'

Note I haven't much experience with working with samba this way - I
might be missing something

Brian