Old 12-09-2008, 01:08 AM
Robert James

Default Ubuntu and Nvidia

Tried unsuccessfully a few months ago to dual boot install Ubuntu 8.04
on a new Compaq laptop with an Nvidia graphics and found I could not
get 1280 by 800 resolution. It was less than 640 if I recall. It was
low enough that if I chose the wrong options I ended up with a
resolution so low I could not see enough of the options to even get
back to working low res. The usual result - using my Vista recovery
disk to kick Ubuntu out. Had no success downloading other Nvidia
drivers.

Just the other day I downloaded the new 8.10, burned it to a disk and
tried a live boot. The resolution looks fine, but the scrolling with
the mouse is jerky and wavy. Does this mean the newest version will
recognize and deal with Nvidia OK? And if I do an install will the
jerky, wavy scrolling on the screen disappear?

I really would like to find a Linux distro that works on my laptop but
really have come to dislike Vista recoveries!!!

Thanks for any help.

Rob

Robert James
robertjames@mountaincable.net

Old 12-09-2008, 01:24 AM
NoOp

On 12/08/2008 06:08 PM, Robert James wrote:
> Tried unsuccessfully a few months ago to dual boot install Ubuntu 8.04
> on a new Compaq laptop with an Nvidia graphics and found I could not
> get 1280 by 800 resolution. It was less than 640 if I recall. It was
> low enough that if I chose the wrong options I ended up with a
> resolution so low I could not see enough of the options to even get
> back to working low res. The usual result - using my Vista recovery
> disk to kick Ubuntu out. Had no success downloading other Nvidia
> drivers.
>
> Just the other day I downloaded the new 8.10, burned it to a disk and
> tried a live boot. The resolution looks fine, but the scrolling with
> the mouse is jerky and wavy. Does this mean the newest version will
> recognize and deal with Nvidia OK? And if I do an install will the
> jerky, wavy scrolling on the screen disappear?
>
> I really would like to find a Linux distro that works on my laptop but
> really have come to dislike Vista recoveries!!!
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Rob

There are many issues with Nvidia and 8.10; I'd recommend that you try
8.04 again, and then post on what you are seeing (or not) with nvidia.
[1] That way folks can help get it resolved for you. When You do, be
sure to post which nvidia card you are using. I'm running 1280x1024 on
an old NV25GL [Quadro4 900 XGL] w/Dell 1800fp monitor & Hardy 8.04.1 and
it's working just fine.

[1] Sample: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/251107
It's getting better, but still not fully there yet (IMO).

Old 12-09-2008, 01:30 AM
Robert James

Thanks. Will try that. The Nvidia card is GeForce 8200M G and the
computer is a Compaq Presario CQ50
The card is not on the options list to choose from. Guessing what
might be close is what gets me into big trouble.

Rob

Old 12-09-2008, 01:50 AM
"Chris Mohler"

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 8:08 PM, Robert James
<robertjames@mountaincable.net> wrote:
[...]
> Just the other day I downloaded the new 8.10, burned it to a disk and
> tried a live boot. The resolution looks fine, but the scrolling with
> the mouse is jerky and wavy. Does this mean the newest version will
> recognize and deal with Nvidia OK? And if I do an install will the
> jerky, wavy scrolling on the screen disappear?

I *think* this means the free (as in freedom) nv driver can now handle
your card. The jerkiness may come from the live session or the nv
driver - hard to say.

> Thanks. Will try that. The Nvidia card is GeForce 8200M G and the
> computer is a Compaq Presario CQ50
> The card is not on the options list to choose from. Guessing what
> might be close is what gets me into big trouble.

You should not have to guess anything - once you install, try enabling
the proprietary driver through System->Administration->Hardware
drivers (choose 'recommended'). With any luck, it Just Works after
reboot or logout. Where are you 'guessing' the make/model of the
card?

If you get stuck - change the "driver" option to "vesa" in the card
section of your xorg.conf - that should get you 800x600 at least. I
used to have to that 'back in the day'[1] - but haven't had to do that
anytime recently.

For the record, I have a GeForce 8600M GT on this system and either a
6600 or 6800 on another system and they both run 8.10 with full
hardware acceleration and no real problems...

Chris

[1] The only time I've had to do this with Ubuntu that was when Gutsy
came out - my desktop's graphic card was too recent, so I had to spend
time in console mode installing the driver. Couple that with the
network driver not working and also the wrong gcc (not the one used to
compile the kernel) on the install CD and it was a pretty rough patch
It was a routine procedure in past distros...

Old 12-09-2008, 02:19 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

Robert James wrote:
> Tried unsuccessfully a few months ago to dual boot install Ubuntu 8.04
> on a new Compaq laptop with an Nvidia graphics and found I could not
> get 1280 by 800 resolution. It was less than 640 if I recall. It was
> low enough that if I chose the wrong options I ended up with a
> resolution so low I could not see enough of the options to even get
> back to working low res. The usual result - using my Vista recovery
> disk to kick Ubuntu out. Had no success downloading other Nvidia
> drivers.
>
> Just the other day I downloaded the new 8.10, burned it to a disk and
> tried a live boot. The resolution looks fine, but the scrolling with
> the mouse is jerky and wavy. Does this mean the newest version will
> recognize and deal with Nvidia OK? And if I do an install will the
> jerky, wavy scrolling on the screen disappear?
>
> I really would like to find a Linux distro that works on my laptop but
> really have come to dislike Vista recoveries!!!
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Rob
>

> Robert James
> robertjames@mountaincable.net

No issues here with 8.10 on onboard NVidia 8200 and (the last) 177.82
driver (desktop) although I'm still afraid of Compiz.

The nvidia-xconfig 1.0 offers resolutions up to 1440x900 (too much for
my CRT).

It took a lot of fiddling to install Ubuntu on a XFX mobo with the 8200
NVidia (almost not supported) chipset, but it's running fine.

L.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:49 AM
Knapp

I have a lot of problems that sound like what you are talking about
and it is not because of my nvidia card but because the auto configure
of my monitor never works and I must do it by hand out of my monitor's
handbook settings.
--
Douglas E Knapp

Old 12-09-2008, 11:25 AM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Robert James wrote:
> Tried unsuccessfully a few months ago to dual boot install Ubuntu 8.04
> on a new Compaq laptop with an Nvidia graphics and found I could not
> get 1280 by 800 resolution. It was less than 640 if I recall. It was
> low enough that if I chose the wrong options I ended up with a
> resolution so low I could not see enough of the options to even get
> back to working low res. The usual result - using my Vista recovery
> disk to kick Ubuntu out. Had no success downloading other Nvidia
> drivers.
>
> Just the other day I downloaded the new 8.10, burned it to a disk and
> tried a live boot. The resolution looks fine, but the scrolling with
> the mouse is jerky and wavy. Does this mean the newest version will
> recognize and deal with Nvidia OK? And if I do an install will the
> jerky, wavy scrolling on the screen disappear?
>
> I really would like to find a Linux distro that works on my laptop but
> really have come to dislike Vista recoveries!!!
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Rob
>

> Robert James
> robertjames@mountaincable.net

While you have the liveCD working please open a terminal and write
lspci and find the line that tells the video software and send it here.
The jerky pointer is typical of the liveCD and is not likely to persist
after you load 8.10 so not to worry.

When you load the software you need a nVidia driver software that
you can d/l from a tab that will show up with the update tab.

Karl

Old 12-09-2008, 11:44 AM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Robert James wrote:
> Thanks. Will try that. The Nvidia card is GeForce 8200M G and the
> computer is a Compaq Presario CQ50
> The card is not on the options list to choose from. Guessing what
> might be close is what gets me into big trouble.

I have exactly the same laptop you have but mine has a Intel chip
set. I discovered my video device had to have the new in 8.10 video
software. To my surprise 8.10 loaded from the liveCD makes a perfect
screen and works fine.

Do not try to load WindowsXP on that laptop. It will not work.I
tried, and failed.

Karl

Old 12-09-2008, 01:34 PM
Robert Holtzman

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008, Karl F. Larsen wrote:

> Robert James wrote:
>> Thanks. Will try that. The Nvidia card is GeForce 8200M G and the
>> computer is a Compaq Presario CQ50
>> The card is not on the options list to choose from. Guessing what
>> might be close is what gets me into big trouble.
>>
> I have exactly the same laptop you have but mine has a Intel chip
> set. I discovered my video device had to have the new in 8.10 video
> software. To my surprise 8.10 loaded from the liveCD makes a perfect
> screen and works fine.
>
> Do not try to load WindowsXP on that laptop. It will not work.I
> tried, and failed.

Which obviously means it's impossible for everyone.

--
Bob Holtzman
Your mail is being read by tight lipped