-   -   Recommendation for Gigabit Ethernet on ibex please (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/208281-recommendation-gigabit-ethernet-ibex-please.html)

"Ben Edwards" 12-08-2008 10:29 PM

Recommendation for Gigabit Ethernet on ibex please

Have done some googeling for the above without much luck. All I have
found is Realtek seem (I got a couple of RTL-8169 and cant get them
working) to be a bad idea and Broadcom work (not sure which models).

Any advice?
Ben

Carl Friis-Hansen 12-09-2008 04:30 AM

Ben Edwards wrote:
> Have done some googeling for the above without much luck. All I have
> found is Realtek seem (I got a couple of RTL-8169 and cant get them
> working) to be a bad idea and Broadcom work (not sure which models).

I have a number of HP Proliant ML-115 boxes with 8.04 on. They were
fitted with an extra Ethernet card. Both the build-in and the extra card
is working fine in 8.04.

carl@cjfhs12:~$ lspci | grep ther
01:08.0 Ethernet controller: D-Link System Inc DGE-528T Gigabit Ethernet
Adapter (rev 10)
06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5721
Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 21)
carl@cjfhs12:~$

I can dig up more info if needed.

Nils Kassube 12-09-2008 06:06 AM

Ben Edwards wrote:
> Have done some googeling for the above without much luck. All I have
> found is Realtek seem (I got a couple of RTL-8169 and cant get them
> working) to be a bad idea and Broadcom work (not sure which models).

I have a Broadcom onboard and an Intel PCI card (sorry, don't remember the
name of the card). This is the lspci output:

09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5755
Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)
0c:05.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82541GI Gigabit Ethernet
Controller

Nils

Carl Friis-Hansen 12-09-2008 06:00 PM

Ben Edwards wrote:
> Do you get full speeds? did it work out of the box?
>
> Regards,
> Ben
>
> 2008/12/9 Carl Friis-Hansen <ubuntuuser@carl-fh.com>:
>> Ben Edwards wrote:
>>> Have done some googeling for the above without much luck. All I have
>>> found is Realtek seem (I got a couple of RTL-8169 and cant get them
>>> working) to be a bad idea and Broadcom work (not sure which models).
>> I have a number of HP Proliant ML-115 boxes with 8.04 on. They were
>> fitted with an extra Ethernet card. Both the build-in and the extra card
>> is working fine in 8.04.
>>
>> carl@cjfhs12:~$ lspci | grep ther
>> 01:08.0 Ethernet controller: D-Link System Inc DGE-528T Gigabit Ethernet
>> Adapter (rev 10)
>> 06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5721
>> Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 21)
>> carl@cjfhs12:~$
>>
>> I can dig up more info if needed.

According to the list
http://hardware4linux.info/type/34/
The DGE-528T is green and tested on Ubuntu 7.04.
The BCM5721, which is on the motherboard by me, is also green, but not
tested on Ubuntu.

Christopher Chan 12-10-2008 12:14 AM

Ben Edwards wrote:
> Have done some googeling for the above without much luck. All I have
> found is Realtek seem (I got a couple of RTL-8169 and cant get them
> working) to be a bad idea and Broadcom work (not sure which models).

I have RTL8111/8168B (rev 01) working no problemo...and that is on
Centos 5 (uses an ancient kernel) and also on Ubuntu Hardy. Onboard NIC
them.