Old 12-08-2008, 08:31 PM
"Brian McKee"

Default Problem with 'Realtek RTL-8169 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 08)'

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 4:18 PM, Ben Edwards <list4me2@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I have the following Ethernet Cards:-
> 01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
> RTL-8169 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 08)
> 01:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82562EZ 10/100
> Ethernet Controller (rev 02)

review /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistant-net something or other
and make sure they are the only two cards mentioned and appearing
associated with the interface number (eth0, 1 etc) you expect.

Brian

Old 12-08-2008, 09:12 PM
"Ben Edwards"

Thanks for that. There do seem to be too many entries. However how
do I find the mac address as the carddoes not show up in ifconfig?

Also will
/etc/init.d/udev restart
fix things after I have changed the file (dont want to reboot box if I
can help it).

Ben

Old 12-08-2008, 09:21 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 5:12 PM, Ben Edwards <list4me2@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for that. There do seem to be too many entries. However how
> do I find the mac address as the carddoes not show up in ifconfig?

lspci? dmidecode? lshw? Sticker on the hardware? Should be there
somewhere.....

But I'm betting if you just delete the extras and make the ones that
are actually there 0 and 1 things will work as you expect.

> Also will
> /etc/init.d/udev restart
> fix things after I have changed the file (dont want to reboot box if I
> can help it).

I don't think so - I don't know the right way to get that updated
without rebooting (but I would LIKE to know if you figure it out....)

NoOp or others?

Brian

Old 12-08-2008, 10:17 PM
"Ben Edwards"

2008/12/8 Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 5:12 PM, Ben Edwards <list4me2@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks for that. There do seem to be too many entries. However how
>> do I find the mac address as the carddoes not show up in ifconfig?
>
> lspci? dmidecode? lshw? Sticker on the hardware? Should be there
> somewhere.....
>
> But I'm betting if you just delete the extras and make the ones that
> are actually there 0 and 1 things will work as you expect.

Tried that and rebooted but no luck;(

Think the card might be bust, no lights come up on back and when I do
lcpci sometimes it reports (rev 08) and sometimes (rev 10). Very odd.

Ben

Old 12-09-2008, 06:01 AM
Nils Kassube

Ben Edwards wrote:
> Think the card might be bust, no lights come up on back and when I do
> lcpci sometimes it reports (rev 08) and sometimes (rev 10). Very odd.

If the lspci output isn't always the same it might really be a hardware
problem. I would suggest you try these commands in a terminal to reload
the module for the card and check for error messages:

sudo rmmod r8169
sudo modprobe r8169
dmesg

At the end of the dmesg output there should be the messages from
restarting the module. Are there any errors? On my machine it looks like
this:

[14958.665839] ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:06:07.0 disabled
[14964.285809] r8169 Gigabit Ethernet driver 2.2LK loaded
[14964.285972] ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:06:07.0[A] -> GSI 20 (level,
low) -> IRQ 21
[14964.287423] eth0: RTL8169sb/8110sb at 0xe00a0000, 00:0a:e4:b9:f2:13,
XID 10000000 IRQ 21
[14964.341611] r8169: eth0: link down
[14964.342191] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready

There is no cable connected here, thats why there are the "link down"
and "link is not ready" messages.

Nils