Old 12-08-2008, 07:50 PM
NoOp

Default Memory usage measurement

On 12/08/2008 11:49 AM, Rashkae wrote:
> I'm trying, unsuccessfully,. to find a utility that will display the
> memory allocated, not including cache and buffers.
>
> The closes I could come is with the free command. I can add the -/+
> buffers/cache and Swap used column, which should be fairly close.
> However, those numbers will contain 'clean' pages that exist both in
> physical ram as well as used swap space.

Perhaps try the System Monitor applet?

Old 12-08-2008, 08:41 PM
Rashkae

NoOp wrote:
> On 12/08/2008 11:49 AM, Rashkae wrote:
>> I'm trying, unsuccessfully,. to find a utility that will display the
>> memory allocated, not including cache and buffers.
>>
>> The closes I could come is with the free command. I can add the -/+
>> buffers/cache and Swap used column, which should be fairly close.
>> However, those numbers will contain 'clean' pages that exist both in
>> physical ram as well as used swap space.
>>

> Perhaps try the System Monitor applet?

Not really.. that's no better than the free command.

I guess what I'm looking from, roughly, is something like the Used
memory - Cache (from free) + Used Swap - Swapcashed (from /proc/meminfo)

I could get all that info from /proc/meminfo,, of course, but then you
have to subtract to find Used Memory and Used swap.

I find it interesting to comapre that with the Commited_AS value,, for
example, assuming I have the above formula right, my system now is
"using" 1.3 GB of memory, but applications have committed total of 1.78)

I guess I'll just have to write myself a little perl script to parse
meminfo for what I'm looking for.. should be fun.

Old 12-09-2008, 06:50 AM
Erik Christiansen

On Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 02:49:13PM -0500, Rashkae wrote:
> I'm trying, unsuccessfully,. to find a utility that will display the
> memory allocated, not including cache and buffers.
>
> The closes I could come is with the free command. I can add the -/+
> buffers/cache and Swap used column, which should be fairly close.
> However, those numbers will contain 'clean' pages that exist both in
> physical ram as well as used swap space.

A little awking might be needed for such specific requirements?

Here we have "Dirty" and "Writeback", at least. Can you deduce "clean"
from that? Is inactive "clean", or a subset thereof?

$ more /proc/meminfo
MemTotal: 251928 kB
MemFree: 5176 kB
Buffers: 10408 kB
Cached: 77556 kB
SwapCached: 64 kB
Active: 201500 kB
Inactive: 24056 kB
HighTotal: 0 kB
HighFree: 0 kB
LowTotal: 251928 kB
LowFree: 5176 kB
SwapTotal: 730916 kB
SwapFree: 696232 kB
Dirty: 24 kB
Writeback: 0 kB
AnonPages: 137528 kB
Mapped: 56592 kB
Slab: 14204 kB
SReclaimable: 7148 kB
SUnreclaim: 7056 kB
PageTables: 1824 kB
NFS_Unstable: 0 kB
Bounce: 0 kB
CommitLimit: 856880 kB
Committed_AS: 454848 kB
VmallocTotal: 770040 kB
VmallocUsed: 2648 kB
VmallocChunk: 767044 kB

Erik

--
Habit is habit, and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but
coaxed down-stairs a step at a time.

Old 12-14-2008, 02:32 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

Rashkae <rashkae@tigershaunt.com> said:

[...]
> I guess what I'm looking from, roughly, is something like the Used
> memory - Cache (from free) + Used Swap - Swapcashed
> (from /proc/meminfo)
>
> I could get all that info from /proc/meminfo,, of course, but then you
> have to subtract to find Used Memory and Used swap.
>
> I find it interesting to comapre that with the Commited_AS value,, for
> example, assuming I have the above formula right, my system now is
> "using" 1.3 GB of memory, but applications have committed total of
> 1.78)
>
> I guess I'll just have to write myself a little perl script to parse
> meminfo for what I'm looking for.. should be fun.

Would this information help you if presented in a side monitor?
-------------
Used and Free
The used and free memory here are calculated from the kernel reported
used and free by subtracting or adding the buffers and cache memory.
See the README and compare to the "-/+ buffers/cache:" line from the
free command. If you show three memory krells, the kernel "raw free" is
the space after the rightmost krell.

Chart Labels
Substitution variables for the format string for chart labels:
$M maximum chart value
$T total swap in blocks + swap out blocks
$i swap in blocks
$o swap out blocks

Panel Labels
Substitution variables for the format string for the Mem and Swap
panels (a MiB is a binary megabyte - 2^20):
For memory and swap:
$t total MiB
$u used MiB
$f free MiB
$U used %
$F free %
$l the panel label
For memory only:
$s shared MiB
$b buffered MiB
$c cached MiB

The free and used variables may have a 'r' qualifier for printing
raw free and raw used values. For example: $fr for raw free.

Substitution variables may be used in alert commands.

If so, it is the description of the memory meter part of GKrellM.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes