Old 12-08-2008, 07:45 PM
"H.S."

Default how to deal with cameras on Hardy

Hello,

I am trying to see how are cameras dealt with in Hardy. At present, if a
digital camera is connected via USB cable, f-spot pops up and gets the
photos and the photos can be saved to a folder (not sure if this is
necessary if f-spot keeps the photos in its own database).

However, no camera icon appears on the desktop.

I was wondering how to:
1. Make a camera icon appears on the desktop (while not having to have
others disks volumes appears as well).
2. Get the photos to a folder instead of in to f-spot (not familiar with
f-spot, is it a viable option for a total newbie to computers?).

The main idea is to let the user attach the camera via a USB cable, a
file browser pop up showing the camera contents from which the photos
can be dragged to a destination folder of the user's choice. This is
much more intuitive than f-spot (at least at preset) for the new user
since the user is already familiar with file copying and deleting and
not familiar with f-spot's GUI at all.

Comments?

Thanks.

ever having been read.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:58 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 3:45 PM, H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is
> much more intuitive than f-spot (at least at preset) for the new user
> since the user is already familiar with file copying and deleting and
> not familiar with f-spot's GUI at all.
>
> Comments?

I think you should teach the user to use F-Spot. The first time they
want to FIND a picture, they'll understand why. I have users who are,
well, computer challenged let us say, successfully using F-Spot.

Brian

Old 12-08-2008, 09:43 PM
"H.S."

Brian McKee wrote:

> I think you should teach the user to use F-Spot. The first time they
> want to FIND a picture, they'll understand why. I have users who are,
> well, computer challenged let us say, successfully using F-Spot.
>
> Brian

Interesting. I have never used f-spot so I do not know how it helps. But
since you are experienced in this sort of situation, I am willing to
give it a try.

At present, when the user connects the camera to the computer, f-spot
seems to start and also grab the pictures automatically (?) The user
does not need to do anything, does he? Sorry, I do not have a Hardy
machine nearby at present, plus I have never f-spot myself (I have use
digikam a little though). If there is web page that shows the behavior
of f-spot on Hardy, that would be great too.

ever having been read.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:51 PM
"H.S."

H.S. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to see how are cameras dealt with in Hardy. At present, if a
> digital camera is connected via USB cable, f-spot pops up and gets the
> photos and the photos can be saved to a folder (not sure if this is
> necessary if f-spot keeps the photos in its own database).
>
> However, no camera icon appears on the desktop.
>
> I was wondering how to:
> 1. Make a camera icon appears on the desktop (while not having to have
> others disks volumes appears as well).
> 2. Get the photos to a folder instead of in to f-spot (not familiar with
> f-spot, is it a viable option for a total newbie to computers?).
>
> The main idea is to let the user attach the camera via a USB cable, a
> file browser pop up showing the camera contents from which the photos
> can be dragged to a destination folder of the user's choice. This is
> much more intuitive than f-spot (at least at preset) for the new user
> since the user is already familiar with file copying and deleting and
> not familiar with f-spot's GUI at all.
>
> Comments?
>
> Thanks.

Morever, is it me or does f-spot in Hardy try to import photos into
"Photos" folder? That folder does not exist, but "Pictures" does. I have
set f-spot's destination folder to Pictures for now.

What is other experienced users' take on this?

Thanks.

ever having been read.