Old 12-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Noah

Default best way to find duplicate files

Hi there,

I have a bunch mp3s in a bunch of subdirectories and was wondering if
somebody could recommend a command line program that would search for
duplicates and remove all but one of the files?

Cheers,

Noah

Old 12-09-2008, 11:41 AM
Marius Gedminas

On Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 12:41:34PM -0800, Noah wrote:
> I have a bunch mp3s in a bunch of subdirectories and was wondering if
> somebody could recommend a command line program that would search for
> duplicates and remove all but one of the files?

apt-cache show duplicate lists

fdupes - identifies duplicate files within given directories

which seems promising.

There's also a slow Unix one-liner that can do the same thing,
inefficiently:

find -name '*.mp3'|xargs md5sum|sort|uniq -d

Marius Gedminas
--
Microsoft is not the answer.
Microsoft is the question.