Old 12-08-2008, 06:47 PM
"Anthony M. Rasat"

Default Ubuntu on a stick - on a Nokia?

Amichai Rotman wrote :
>Hello all,

Hi.

>A friend of mine gave me an idea: install Linux on
>the memory card of
my Nokia E71 and
>use it as a rescue system by connecting it to a PC
>via USB, like Pendrive.
>Any of you know if it's possible and can point me
>to the right direction?
>Thanks!

Sure. There is an application called Unetbootin that can do exactly that. Creating a bootable USB live from Ubuntu ISO file. It doesn't care that you are using Nokia phone as card reader, as long as it was accessible.

However, make sure:

1) You have at least 1GB free space in that memory card.
2) I don't remember Unetbootin format memory card before starting but don't take chances, save your data to another place before starting Unetbootin.
3) Also I think Unetbootin only wants FAT and FAT32 as partition.

Hope that helps. Happy Googling (that's should be easy).

Anthony M. Rasat
Manager - Technical, Network and Support Division
PT. Jawa Pos National Network
Graha Pena Jawa Pos Group Building, 5th floor
Jln. Raya Kebayoran Lama 12, Jakarta Barat 12210
Indonesia.-
Phone 02132185562
Phone 081574217035
Fax 02153651465
Web http://www.jpnn.com

Old 12-08-2008, 07:05 PM
"Amichai Rotman"

Thanks!
I'll give it a try

On 08/12/2008, Anthony M. Rasat <anthony.rasat@gmail.com> wrote:
> Amichai Rotman wrote :
>>Hello all,
>
> Hi.
>
>>A friend of mine gave me an idea: install Linux on
>>the memory card of
> my Nokia E71 and
>>use it as a rescue system by connecting it to a PC
>>via USB, like Pendrive.
>>Any of you know if it's possible and can point me
>>to the right direction?
>>Thanks!
>
> Sure. There is an application called Unetbootin that can do exactly that.
> Creating a bootable USB live from Ubuntu ISO file. It doesn't care that you
> are using Nokia phone as card reader, as long as it was accessible.
>
> However, make sure:
>
> 1) You have at least 1GB free space in that memory card.
> 2) I don't remember Unetbootin format memory card before starting but don't
> take chances, save your data to another place before starting Unetbootin.
> 3) Also I think Unetbootin only wants FAT and FAT32 as partition.
>
> Hope that helps. Happy Googling (that's should be easy).
>
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Anthony M. Rasat
> Manager - Technical, Network and Support Division
> PT. Jawa Pos National Network
> Graha Pena Jawa Pos Group Building, 5th floor
> Jln. Raya Kebayoran Lama 12, Jakarta Barat 12210
> Indonesia.-
> Phone 02132185562
> Phone 081574217035
> Fax 02153651465
> Web http://www.jpnn.com

Sent from my mobile device

.:================================================ ====:.

Amichai Rotman

UIN#: 6401746

PLEASE READ: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html

Old 12-09-2008, 11:53 PM
"Mario Spinthiras"

I don't really remember what unetbootin formats the thumb drives as BUT as long as its fat32 (what the nokia wants natively) it should be fine otherwise the phone being as dumb as it is (I have a Nokia too) will moan on a corrupted filesystem or something stupid like that.

But if your looking on installing linux on a usb stick (and not installing the install-er) you will probably run into issues I bet.

I wrote a blog post about using unetbootin to get things rolling some time ago. You might like to reference it for help or something if this is new to you. http://www.spinthiras.net/2008/09/20/quick-way-to-install-ubuntu-from-a-usb-stickthumb-drive/

Please let us know on your results.

Warm Regards,
Mario A. Spinthiras
http://www.spinthiras.net/

Old 12-10-2008, 06:48 AM
"Amichai Rotman"

Anthony, Mario and all,

Thanks for the pointer, but I think I wasn't clear as for my plan:

I need a mobile environment to fix computers on the go. I also like it to be Linux based. I walk around with my trusty Nokia E71 anyway, including a 2GB SD card inside.

I once installed a full Ubuntu system on a USB stick using the guides in Pendrive Linux.

I wondered if someone had tried installing Linux on an SD card and use it as a rescue / swiss army knife on the go to fix computers.

I was hoping for a pointer to a guide for a Linux distro geared for that purpose exactly.

I guess I could use the above site to install Ubuntu on my SD card and the customize it, but I hoped to skip this step and hear from an experienced Linuxer out there.

Thanks!
.:================================================ ====:.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:25 PM
"Mario Spinthiras"

Sorry to burst your bubble but 8GB USB sticks cost 10 GBP where I live and they weigh about 1/15 of your phone. Not too much to carry is it ? Why waste your phone that way. If you need something viable , do something everyone else does....

regards,
Mario A. Spinthiras
http://www.spinthiras.net/

Old 12-11-2008, 03:57 PM
"Amichai Rotman"

True.

I could argue "Carrying a thumb drive, no matter the weight, is still carrying an additional device. I carry my phone anyway", but then I remembered I'd have to carry the dedicated USB cable for it to work anyway, so there goes my argument... ;-)

I will buy myself a USB stick soon, can any of you suggest a Linux flavor specific for this task?

The following tool is what I have in mind, but I'd like it to be more tailored for USB sticks and maybe a pure Linux solution...

Thanks!
.:================================================ ====:.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:07 PM
"Mario Spinthiras"

Naturally Ubuntu. Dedpending on the line of work you are in we can
suggest packages you might need accordingly of course. So what do you
do ?

Regards,
Mario A. Spinthiras
http://www.spinthiras.net/

Old 12-15-2008, 12:09 PM
"Amichai Rotman"

Hello again,

I a nice guy all around. I like to help people and I also *love* Linux, so I'd like to walk around with a USB stick I plug into a troubled Windows PC and figure out what's wrong with it and possibly fix it...

Maybe then I'd be able to convince the poor owner of said PC to switch to Linux and forget all those Viruses and other things causing problems...

Is there a definitive list of packages you can provide for me to install on a clean system?

I'd like it to be minimal.

I though maybe I'll follow this, or a similar guide:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2008/11/25/usb-kubuntu-810-install-via-usb-creator/

Thanks!