Old 12-07-2008, 11:21 PM
Himanshu Sharma

Default Extending Ubuntu Partition

Hi all,
I am new to the Ubuntu world and was wandering if i can extend my ubuntu
partition by using another fat 32 partition(after formatting it to ext3).
Is it possible ?

Thanks
Himanshu

Old 12-08-2008, 05:05 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 7:21 PM, Himanshu Sharma <s.himanshu9@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am new to the Ubuntu world and was wandering if i can extend my ubuntu
> partition by using another fat 32 partition(after formatting it to ext3).
> Is it possible ?

Depending on what you mean - yes... You can reformat a FAT partition
to ext3 and just mount it anywhere you like.
Heck, you don't even have to reformat it - although you'd likely want
to. If that gets you what you need, then it's the easy safe way out.

Or, if the partitions are continuous you can boot from a live cd like
the gparted live cd and extend the existing partition to include the
FAT partition, then extend the file system to use the newly enlarged
partition. Please note this kind of mucking around can go off the
rails and kill the patient so to speak, especially if you aren't
careful. BACKUP FIRST! and test your backups :-)

Brian

Old 12-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Rashkae

Himanshu Sharma wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am new to the Ubuntu world and was wandering if i can extend my ubuntu
> partition by using another fat 32 partition(after formatting it to ext3).
> Is it possible ?
>
> Thanks
> Himanshu

If the partition is immediate adjacent to and following the Ubuntu
partition, then yes.

Of course, before modifying partitions like this, a fresh backup is
always a must in case of accidents.

Use a boot disk, like the System rescue cd, to delete the fat 32
partition, then extend the existing ext3 over the empty space. There is
no point in formatting that space ext3 first.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:36 PM
Karl Larsen

Rashkae wrote:
> Himanshu Sharma wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> I am new to the Ubuntu world and was wandering if i can extend my ubuntu
>> partition by using another fat 32 partition(after formatting it to ext3).
>> Is it possible ?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Himanshu
>>

> If the partition is immediate adjacent to and following the Ubuntu
> partition, then yes.
>
> Of course, before modifying partitions like this, a fresh backup is
> always a must in case of accidents.
>
> Use a boot disk, like the System rescue cd, to delete the fat 32
> partition, then extend the existing ext3 over the empty space. There is
> no point in formatting that space ext3 first.

The boot disk is also called a liveCD and it comes up just like your
installed Ubuntu. On this go to System - Administration- and then
Deparitioner or a word like this. It will let you expand your current
Ubuntu partition

Karl