Old 11-15-2008, 05:37 AM
David Christensen

Default ubuntu-8.10-alternate-i386 LTS multimedia players recently died

ubuntu-users:

I have a ubuntu-8.10-alternate-i386 machine running LTS. I've noticed
that the video and sound players have recently died. If I try to play a
sound or video file, the players start, do nothing, and then turn gray
after 5-10 seconds. When I try to close them, I get a dialog:

The window "<name>" is not responding.

Forcing this application to quit will cause you to lose any unsaved
changes.

Cancel Force Quit

I'm not sure exactly when the problems started, but some possibilities
come to mind:

1. I installed the Dragon video player, because the default video
player didn't work correctly on certain MPEG clips (very jerky playback,
large portions skipped). Dragon was smoother, but the colors were very
strange. When I then tried the default player, the jerkiness was still
there, as was the color problem. So, I rebooted and ignored it for a
few days. Now video playback is dead.

2. I uninstalled Dragon, but the problems persist.

3. I've installed updates, when notified that they were available.

Are there log files I can look at for clues? Are there any other
troubleshooting means?

TIA,

David

Old 11-15-2008, 07:33 AM
steve

David Christensen wrote:
> ubuntu-users:
>
> I have a ubuntu-8.10-alternate-i386 machine running LTS. I've noticed
> that the video and sound players have recently died. If I try to play a
> sound or video file, the players start, do nothing, and then turn gray
> after 5-10 seconds. When I try to close them, I get a dialog:
>
> The window "<name>" is not responding.
>
> Forcing this application to quit will cause you to lose any unsaved
> changes.
>
> Cancel Force Quit
>
> I'm not sure exactly when the problems started, but some possibilities
> come to mind:
>
> 1. I installed the Dragon video player, because the default video
> player didn't work correctly on certain MPEG clips (very jerky playback,
> large portions skipped). Dragon was smoother, but the colors were very
> strange. When I then tried the default player, the jerkiness was still
> there, as was the color problem. So, I rebooted and ignored it for a
> few days. Now video playback is dead.
>
> 2. I uninstalled Dragon, but the problems persist.
>
> 3. I've installed updates, when notified that they were available.
>

> Are there log files I can look at for clues? Are there any other
> troubleshooting means?
>

> TIA,
>
> David

you may have answered your own question, all the problems started when
you installed dragon player. so if its removed, a dependency of it may
still be around that was brought in when you installed dragon player?
or you enabled some odd repository recently, ran updates and a newer
version of some codec was installed that isnt compatible with the
video/audio player. either way, some intervention happened, Im running
up to date lts too, no problems with medibuntu codecs here?

--
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com

"Any people anywhere, being inclined, and having the power, have the
right to rise up and shake off the existing government, and form a new
one that suits them better." Abraham Lincoln 1848

Old 11-15-2008, 08:54 AM
Carl Friis-Hansen

steve wrote:
> David Christensen wrote:
>> I have a ubuntu-8.10-alternate-i386 machine running LTS. I've noticed
>> that the video and sound players have recently died. If I try to play a
>> sound or video file, the players start, do nothing, and then turn gray
>> after 5-10 seconds. When I try to close them, I get a dialog:
>>
>> The window "<name>" is not responding.
>>
>> Forcing this application to quit will cause you to lose any unsaved
>> changes.
>>
>> Cancel Force Quit
>>
>> I'm not sure exactly when the problems started, but some possibilities
>> come to mind:
>>
>> 1. I installed the Dragon video player, because the default video
>> player didn't work correctly on certain MPEG clips (very jerky playback,
>> large portions skipped). Dragon was smoother, but the colors were very
>> strange. When I then tried the default player, the jerkiness was still
>> there, as was the color problem. So, I rebooted and ignored it for a
>> few days. Now video playback is dead.
>>
>> 2. I uninstalled Dragon, but the problems persist.
>>
>> 3. I've installed updates, when notified that they were available.
>>

>> Are there log files I can look at for clues? Are there any other
>> troubleshooting means?
>>

>> TIA,
>>
>> David
>
> you may have answered your own question, all the problems started when
> you installed dragon player. so if its removed, a dependency of it may
> still be around that was brought in when you installed dragon player?
> or you enabled some odd repository recently, ran updates and a newer
> version of some codec was installed that isnt compatible with the
> video/audio player. either way, some intervention happened, Im running
> up to date lts too, no problems with medibuntu codecs here?

I assume you are talking dragonplayer from universe/kde repository?
My suggestion is simple: why don't you check wahat is installed in
connection with totem and reinstall totem, totem-plugins, totem-mozilla,
etc. (if that is the default player in 8.10).

You are bound to have error messages in
tail /var/log/messages
tail /var/log/dmesg
tail /var/log/syslog
right after the problem occurs.

Please note that you are *not* running LTS as you state above. 8.04 is
LTS and well tested. If I were in your shoes, I would have chosen 8.04
and maybe in 6 months time, upgrade to 8.10.

It appears you used the alternate cd when you installed 8.10. That
suggests to me that you are running a computer with somewhat limited
resources in terms of RAM and CPU. There are limits to what you can
expect from, let's say 400MHz and 256K. Secondly, the Xubuntu es better
suited for low spec computers. You might fix this install and get your
nice, but jumpy pictures back, but not much more than that.

Why did you choose dragonplayer? Most people with Ubuntu desktop
installs the VLC player.
If you want help to find a suitable approach, then give us info about
your hardware.

All the best