Old 11-15-2008, 02:12 AM
"Chaman Singh Verma"

Default Installed Software Query

Hello,

How can I get the list of software installed on my present machine so that, if something goes wrong
with this machine, I can install all the software once again on new machine?

Thanks.
csv

Old 11-15-2008, 02:19 AM
"kapil singh kushwah"

This command gives the list of all installed packages on your system.

dpkg-query -l

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 8:42 AM, Chaman Singh Verma <csv610@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> How can I get the list of software installed on my present machine so that,
> if something goes wrong
> with this machine, I can install all the software once again on new machine?
>
> Thanks.
> csv

Regards
Kapil singh Kushwah
Linux System Administrator
Hotwax Media Inc., Indore
09907514840
www.hotwaxmedia.com

Old 11-15-2008, 10:26 AM
Florian Diesch

"Chaman Singh Verma" <csv610@gmail.com> wrote:

> How can I get the list of software installed on my present machine so that,
> if something goes wrong
> with this machine, I can install all the software once again on new machine?

This saves the list into installed_software.txt

dpkg --get-selections > installed_software.txt

and this installs the packages from the list:

dpkg --get-selections < installed_software.txt && sudo apt-get dselect-upgrade

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>

Old 11-15-2008, 12:04 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Sat, 2008-11-15 at 12:26 +0100, Florian Diesch wrote:

> and this installs the packages from the list:
>
> dpkg --get-selections < installed_software.txt && sudo apt-get
> dselect-upgrade

This, however, poses the problem that from then on, APT will regard all
packages as "manually installed", as opposed to some being installed as
a dependency by some other package. This will adversely affect the
automatic housekeeping, as packages that are not really needed (because
nothing depends on them, say, after you removed some packages by hand)
are not going to be automatically removed.

Unfortunately I don't know a solution to this problem. If anyone knows,
please post, thanks.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:58 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Sat, 2008-11-15 at 14:04 +0100, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> Unfortunately I don't know a solution to this problem. If anyone
> knows, please post, thanks.

Ah, something like this:
http://blogs.gnome.org/hughsie/2008/11/15/pkcon-list-install-foopackage-list/

There's hoping it gets integrated better, though (Ubuntu needs an
automatic backup tool that really backs up everything and ideally is
able to fully restore a system to a previous state)

Old 11-15-2008, 05:46 PM
Florian Diesch

Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic@dantian.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-11-15 at 12:26 +0100, Florian Diesch wrote:
>>
>> and this installs the packages from the list:
>>
>> dpkg --get-selections < installed_software.txt && sudo apt-get
>> dselect-upgrade
>
> This, however, poses the problem that from then on, APT will regard all
> packages as "manually installed", as opposed to some being installed as
> a dependency by some other package. This will adversely affect the
> automatic housekeeping, as packages that are not really needed (because
> nothing depends on them, say, after you removed some packages by hand)
> are not going to be automatically removed.
>
> Unfortunately I don't know a solution to this problem. If anyone knows,
> please post, thanks.

Backing up /var/lib/apt/extended_states should solve that.

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>

Old 11-15-2008, 06:32 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 8:04 AM, Mario Vukelic
<mario.vukelic@dantian.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-11-15 at 12:26 +0100, Florian Diesch wrote:
>>
>> and this installs the packages from the list:
>>
>> dpkg --get-selections < installed_software.txt && sudo apt-get
>> dselect-upgrade
>
> This, however, poses the problem that from then on, APT will regard all
> packages as "manually installed", as opposed to some being installed as
> a dependency by some other package. This will adversely affect the
> automatic housekeeping, as packages that are not really needed (because
> nothing depends on them, say, after you removed some packages by hand)
> are not going to be automatically removed.
>
> Unfortunately I don't know a solution to this problem. If anyone knows,
> please post, thanks.

Just went through this over on the debian user list.

old machine
dpkg --get-selections > selections.txt
aptitude -F '%p' search '~M' > auto-list.txt
new machine
minimal install from cd - cli-expert option
altered sources.list to match old machine
mekg --set-selections < selections.txt
dselect to install
aptitude unmarkauto '~i'
aptitude markauto $(cat auto-list.txt)

Worked great !

Brian

Old 11-15-2008, 11:15 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Sat, 2008-11-15 at 19:46 +0100, Florian Diesch wrote:
> Backing up /var/lib/apt/extended_states should solve that.

Fabulous, many thanks!

Old 11-15-2008, 11:16 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Sat, 2008-11-15 at 14:32 -0500, Brian McKee wrote:
> old machine
> dpkg --get-selections > selections.txt
> aptitude -F '%p' search '~M' > auto-list.txt
> new machine
> minimal install from cd - cli-expert option
> altered sources.list to match old machine
> mekg --set-selections < selections.txt
> dselect to install
> aptitude unmarkauto '~i'
> aptitude markauto $(cat auto-list.txt)

Great, many thanks!

Old 11-15-2008, 11:52 PM
Ray Parrish

Look in the followinf file, it contains a list of everything on your system

/var/lib/dpkg/status

Later, Ray Parrish

Chaman Singh Verma wrote:
> Hello,
>
> How can I get the list of software installed on my present machine so
> that, if something goes wrong
> with this machine, I can install all the software once again on new
> machine?
>
> Thanks.
> csv

Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows