-   -   easiest way to change my locale? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/193588-easiest-way-change-my-locale.html)

"H.S." 11-14-2008 08:22 PM

easiest way to change my locale?

Hello,

I am wondering if there is an easy way change the locale being used by a
user. A GUI method would be desirable. If not, the eastest method to
change it via text files would be next. But either way, I hope it is
doable by every user (without needing admin privileges) and is straight
forward.

Regards.

ever having been read.

Marius Gedminas 11-14-2008 10:34 PM

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 04:22:36PM -0500, H.S. wrote:
> I am wondering if there is an easy way change the locale being used by a
> user. A GUI method would be desirable. If not, the eastest method to
> change it via text files would be next. But either way, I hope it is
> doable by every user (without needing admin privileges) and is straight
> forward.

There's an option to select your language in the login screen (gdm). It
actually selects the locale.

Marius Gedminas
--
"In general, it is safe and legal to kill your children and their children"
POSIX Prg Gt, by Donald Lewine, O'Reilly & Associates, 1991, p.110 (On process

"H.S." 11-15-2008 03:34 AM

Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 04:22:36PM -0500, H.S. wrote:
>> I am wondering if there is an easy way change the locale being used by a
>> user. A GUI method would be desirable. If not, the eastest method to
>> change it via text files would be next. But either way, I hope it is
>> doable by every user (without needing admin privileges) and is straight
>> forward.
>
> There's an option to select your language in the login screen (gdm). It
> actually selects the locale.
>
> Marius Gedminas

Thanks for that info. However, once a user has selected a locale, how
does the user then do I just change the time format or any other
particular aspect of the locale?

ever having been read.

Mario Vukelic 11-15-2008 08:04 AM

On Fri, 2008-11-14 at 23:34 -0500, H.S. wrote:
> However, once a user has selected a locale, how
> does the user then do I just change the time format or any other
> particular aspect of the locale?

I think the only way is to set the LC_* variables in $HOME/.profile.
The individual LC_* variables are explained in "man locale", and
supported values can be found in /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED.

If some LC_* setting shall be changed system-wide, the place
is /etc/environment

Marius Gedminas 11-15-2008 12:00 PM

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 10:04:15AM +0100, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-11-14 at 23:34 -0500, H.S. wrote:
> > However, once a user has selected a locale, how
> > does the user then do I just change the time format or any other
> > particular aspect of the locale?
>
> I think the only way is to set the LC_* variables in $HOME/.profile.

Problem is: .profile is not loaded for the GUI session, so any apps you
launch from the GNOME menus won't see your changes.

For a long time I had a ~/.gnomerc which set a couple of environment
variables. This one works for all GNOME sessions. The syntax is the
same as ~/.profile, only be very careful about introducing errors (or
using bashisms), as those will prevent you from logging in.

Marius Gedminas
--
When in trouble or in doubt,
run in circles, scream and shout.

Mario Vukelic 11-15-2008 12:05 PM

On Sat, 2008-11-15 at 15:00 +0200, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> Problem is: .profile is not loaded for the GUI session, so any apps you
> launch from the GNOME menus won't see your changes.

Ah! Thanks for the correction

> For a long time I had a ~/.gnomerc which set a couple of environment
> variables. This one works for all GNOME sessions. The syntax is the
> same as ~/.profile, only be very careful about introducing errors (or
> using bashisms), as those will prevent you from logging in.

More thanks

"Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk" 11-15-2008 02:49 PM

2008/11/15 Marius Gedminas <marius@pov.lt>:

>> I think the only way is to set the LC_* variables in $HOME/.profile.
>
> Problem is: .profile is not loaded for the GUI session,

It is (by /etc/gdm/Xsession).

--
Marcin Kowalczyk
qrczak@knm.org.pl

NoOp 11-15-2008 08:59 PM

On 11/14/2008 08:34 PM, H.S. wrote:
> Marius Gedminas wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 04:22:36PM -0500, H.S. wrote:
>>> I am wondering if there is an easy way change the locale being used by a
>>> user. A GUI method would be desirable. If not, the eastest method to
>>> change it via text files would be next. But either way, I hope it is
>>> doable by every user (without needing admin privileges) and is straight
>>> forward.
>>
>> There's an option to select your language in the login screen (gdm). It
>> actually selects the locale.
>>
>> Marius Gedminas
>>

> Thanks for that info. However, once a user has selected a locale, how
> does the user then do I just change the time format or any other
> particular aspect of the locale?

These may help:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LocaleConf
and read this thread:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user/151481
you'll find good info from sktsee about 3/4 the way down the thread.

"H.S." 11-16-2008 06:09 AM

NoOp wrote:
> On 11/14/2008 08:34 PM, H.S. wrote:
>> Marius Gedminas wrote:
>>> There's an option to select your language in the login screen (gdm). It
>>> actually selects the locale.
>>>
>>> Marius Gedminas
>>>
>> Thanks for that info. However, once a user has selected a locale, how
>> does the user then do I just change the time format or any other
>> particular aspect of the locale?
>>

> These may help:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LocaleConf
> and read this thread:
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user/151481
> you'll find good info from sktsee about 3/4 the way down the thread.

Yes, that is helpful, somewhat. Alas, it appears that there is no easy
GUI way to let a user choose these kind of options. Any plans in Ubuntu
to get this feature, if anybody knows?

Also, as I was reading the thread you mentioned, from a user interface
point of view (since Ubuntu is trying to be a very GUI friendly distro
and wants to present a polished interface to a potentially average Joe
user), seeing different formats of time in different applications
appears to show lack of polish. Just my 2 cents.

Note that I do realize that these options can be changed by some
commands on command line (perhaps by using sudo).

Regards.

ever having been read.

Marius Gedminas 11-16-2008 01:41 PM

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 04:49:11PM +0100, Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk wrote:
> 2008/11/15 Marius Gedminas <marius@pov.lt>:
>
> >> I think the only way is to set the LC_* variables in $HOME/.profile.
> >
> > Problem is: .profile is not loaded for the GUI session,
>
> It is (by /etc/gdm/Xsession).

So it is. Thank you, I hadn't noticed this change. Do you happen to
know which Ubuntu version introduced it?

Marius Gedminas
--
Special bonus feature: absolutely nowhere in RetchMail's code is there an
arbitrary 3-second sleep(). Wow! What other mail retriever can say that? (Hint: