Old 11-14-2008, 07:43 PM
Karl Larsen

Default Intrepid Sound Problems

I did a search today to try and get sound back on my new Intrepid. I
see this is a MAJOR problem and there are 25 web pages full of
mis-information.

First, the sound was perfect yesterday. Turned off the laptop and
this morning when it booted up the little speaker's had a red X over
them. I cleared that by right clicking and setting it right. No idea how
it got changed.

I tried the w32codecs which was worthless, turned of PulseAudio
worthless, and began to wonder what is going on.

I did get some drivers for Firefox to view U-Tube things and tried
to install a special driver that apt-get could not find which was
supposed to fix the sound problem. I will continue to Google but will
avoid all bug reports because they are VERY confusing.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-14-2008, 10:46 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> said:
> I did a search today to try and get sound back on my new Intrepid.

I wish you luck with that, Karl, and hope you get it sorted soon.
When/if you do please post about it here so other will know it's ready.
The sound problem in Intrepid is whats keeping me from using it full
time.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

Old 11-15-2008, 01:15 AM
"David Fox"

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 12:43 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:

> I tried the w32codecs which was worthless, turned of PulseAudio
> worthless, and began to wonder what is going on.

For some reason, w32codecs was not installed in Intrepid, and
apt-cache policy w32codecs returns (none) for an installation
candidate, so that means to me that it can't be installed, and I
believe I have all the restricted / medibuntu repositories for
intrepid enabled, and I remember having it installed (as far as I can
remember, that is) when I first installed Hardy earlier this year.

Pulseaudio is not enabled and nothing connects to it here, and that
might be a gnome thing, and as far as I can tell, I don't need it.

I mostly listen to radio station content and my own collection of mp3s
and oggs, and haven't found something that can't be played. And, I
have sound in youtube and other video sites (cnn etc) and get sound
with vlc and mplayerplugin and so forth.

The only sound related issue I had was with amarok-neon which is in
beta test - as soon as I did the intrepid dist-upgrade, it acted like
it could play the stuff but no sound came out through the speakers.
But that is a known bug, and was recently resolved a day or so ago.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:14 AM
Karl Larsen

David Fox wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 12:43 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:
>

>> I tried the w32codecs which was worthless, turned of PulseAudio
>> worthless, and began to wonder what is going on.
>>

> For some reason, w32codecs was not installed in Intrepid, and
> apt-cache policy w32codecs returns (none) for an installation
> candidate, so that means to me that it can't be installed, and I
> believe I have all the restricted / medibuntu repositories for
> intrepid enabled, and I remember having it installed (as far as I can
> remember, that is) when I first installed Hardy earlier this year.
>
> Pulseaudio is not enabled and nothing connects to it here, and that
> might be a gnome thing, and as far as I can tell, I don't need it.
>
> I mostly listen to radio station content and my own collection of mp3s
> and oggs, and haven't found something that can't be played. And, I
> have sound in youtube and other video sites (cnn etc) and get sound
> with vlc and mplayerplugin and so forth.
>
> The only sound related issue I had was with amarok-neon which is in
> beta test - as soon as I did the intrepid dist-upgrade, it acted like
> it could play the stuff but no sound came out through the speakers.
> But that is a known bug, and was recently resolved a day or so ago.

I would sure like to know the solution. I have tried several and had
zero success. So how do I learn of this solution.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-15-2008, 08:00 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Fri, 2008-11-14 at 18:15 -0800, David Fox wrote:
> For some reason, w32codecs was not installed in Intrepid,

It is never installed by default and it is not in the regular Ubuntu
repositories because it is illegal in most jurisdictions.

> and apt-cache policy w32codecs returns (none) for an installation
> candidate,

I dunno what some people's problem is with accessing medibuntu (except
medibuntu sometimes being awfully slow at times -- they ask for
donations, let's give them some), but it works fine for me.

apt-cache policy w32codecs
w32codecs:
Installed: 20071007-0medibuntu3
Candidate: 20071007-0medibuntu3
Version table:
*** 20071007-0medibuntu3 0
500 http://packages.medibuntu.org intrepid/non-free Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

> so that means to me that it can't be installed, and I
> believe I have all the restricted / medibuntu repositories for
> intrepid enabled,

You *believe*? How about checking?

> Pulseaudio is not enabled

Did you disable it? Because otherwise it probably is.

> and nothing connects to it here, and that
> might be a gnome thing, and as far as I can tell, I don't need it.

Unless you sometimes fancy 2 sound sources being able to have access to
the sound device at the same time. Most people have cheapo soundcards
that do not have hardware support for this, and this is where pulseaudio
comes in. (Alsa could also mix in software, but Pulse can do much more)

Old 11-15-2008, 12:22 PM
Karl Larsen

Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> said:
>
>> I did a search today to try and get sound back on my new Intrepid.
>>

> I wish you luck with that, Karl, and hope you get it sorted soon.
> When/if you do please post about it here so other will know it's ready.
> The sound problem in Intrepid is whats keeping me from using it full
> time.
>
> Cybe R. Wizard

I have found that 5 "fixes" that worked for the writer do not work
for me. I find people who have almost the exact problem I have, have
never solved the problem. So it sounds like it is a hard to fix problem.

One guy removed pulseaudio and put back an older sound device. This
might be a fix but I do not like it much.

I am now thinking of Hardy again with an Intrepid GTX system. I'm
not sure you can do that but it may be easier than fixing the lost sound
problem :-)

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-15-2008, 04:06 PM
"David Fox"

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 1:00 AM, Mario Vukelic
<mario.vukelic@dantian.org> wrote:

> I dunno what some people's problem is with accessing medibuntu (except
> medibuntu sometimes being awfully slow at times -- they ask for
> donations, let's give them some), but it works fine for me.

And I have it set up per the instructions on medibuntu. Turns out it's
not a package that is installable on 64 bit hardware which is what I
have. My bad, I thought I had both installed because I have ia32-libs
installed for 32 bit compatibility.

Re PulseAudio:

> Did you disable it? Because otherwise it probably is.

It was just never started by default, and still isn't. I discovered by
accident that I could start pulse-session as a user in a konsole, and
then it runs pulseaudio and I don't get complaints from programs such
as mplayer that tell me they can't connect to pulseaudio, but
otherwise play OK.

Old 11-15-2008, 04:08 PM
"David Fox"

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 5:22 AM, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:

> I am now thinking of Hardy again with an Intrepid GTX system. I'm
> not sure you can do that but it may be easier than fixing the lost sound
> problem :-)

I doubt you can mix and match like that. Even where it is possible,
for example on debian, i ran a lenny system with occasional packages
from sid, it was not a recommended thing to do.

Old 11-15-2008, 04:12 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Sat, 2008-11-15 at 09:06 -0800, David Fox wrote:
> then it runs pulseaudio and I don't get complaints from programs such
> as mplayer that tell me they can't connect to pulseaudio, but
> otherwise play OK.

Just in case you ever want to run pulseaudio because you'd like to
stream over the network or something, you can rightclick the mplayer
movie window, click preferences, go to tab Audio and select pulse as the
audio system. Same for, e.g., xine or vlc.

Old 11-15-2008, 06:01 PM
Markus Schönhaber

David Fox:

> And I have it set up per the instructions on medibuntu. Turns out it's
> not a package that is installable on 64 bit hardware which is what I
> have.

Of course w32codecs is installable on 64-bit hardware - provided you're
running a 32-bit OS on this hardware.

> My bad, I thought I had both installed because I have ia32-libs
> installed for 32 bit compatibility.

Installing ia32-libs won't change the fact that you're running a 64-bit
system. But Ubuntu's stock 64-bit kernel is capable of running 32-bit
applications - which, in turn, may need 32-bit shared libs. ia32-libs
provides the most commonly needed ones.

But the important point is: if you need the codecs on 64-bit Ubuntu,
install the w64codecs package from medibuntu.

Regards
mks