-   -   Can't get laptop into more than 800x600? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/193473-cant-get-laptop-into-more-than-800x600.html)

Knute Johnson 11-14-2008 04:30 PM

Can't get laptop into more than 800x600?

I installed Ubuntu on my older laptop but the only options for screen
resolution are 800x600 and 640x480. I ran 1024x768 with XP and Fedora.
Any ideas how to get there?

Thanks,

--

Knute Johnson
knute2008@www.knutejohnson.com

"Szymon Marciniak" 11-15-2008 07:51 AM

Can't get laptop into more than 800x600?

What is your grapgic card?
And how your xorg.conf

Sajmon313 sajmon313@gmail.com
Swietne forum o Symbianie: http://forum.s60v3.info

Knute Johnson 11-15-2008 04:09 PM

Szymon Marciniak wrote:
> What is your grapgic card?
> And how your xorg.conf
>
> 2008/11/14 Knute Johnson <knute2008@www.knutejohnson.com>:
>> I installed Ubuntu on my older laptop but the only options for screen
>> resolution are 800x600 and 640x480. I ran 1024x768 with XP and Fedora.
>> Any ideas how to get there?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> --
>>
>> Knute Johnson
>> knute2008@www.knutejohnson.com
>>

>> --

xorg.conf is below. I don't know what the video card is in the laptop
but I know it is capable of much higher resolutions.

Thanks,

knute...

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# Note that some configuration settings that could be done previously
# in this file, now are automatically configured by the server and settings
# here are ignored.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

"Szymon Marciniak" 11-15-2008 08:15 PM

Can't get laptop into more than 800x600?

There's nothing in your xorg.conf
No "Driver" line,
no Modes, its blank

If you have nvidia or ati card, you can try envyng
(i've not tested it with intel video cards - some laptops has this)

"Kim Briggs" 11-15-2008 09:21 PM

On 11/14/08, Knute Johnson <knute2008@www.knutejohnson.com> wrote:
> I installed Ubuntu on my older laptop but the only options for screen
> resolution are 800x600 and 640x480. I ran 1024x768 with XP and Fedora.
> Any ideas how to get there?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
>
> Knute Johnson
> knute2008@www.knutejohnson.com

Knute,

It is really worth it to research your laptop make and model and find
out what video card is used. You may be able to install additional
drivers.

Ubuntu can do an initial check through System - Administration -
Hardware Drivers

As long as you make a backup to the xorg.conf file, you can try to
reconfigure the package:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

and follow the instructions. If you boot up to blackness, you can
press Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get to a terminal, where you can use the cp or mv
command to replace the existing xorg.conf file with the backup. Make
sure you are comfortable with doing this before starting.

cheers,
--
http://kimbriggs.com

"Owen Townend" 11-15-2008 11:52 PM

Can't get laptop into more than 800x600?

2008/11/15 Knute Johnson <knute2008@www.knutejohnson.com>:
> I installed Ubuntu on my older laptop but the only options for screen
> resolution are 800x600 and 640x480. I ran 1024x768 with XP and Fedora.
> Any ideas how to get there?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
>
> Knute Johnson
> knute2008@www.knutejohnson.com

Hey,

I have had this same problem with my laptop. Reading through
/var/log/Xorg.0.log you'll probably find that the 1024x768 LCD is
found but that the hsync and vsync are not correctly detected.
Try looking for specs for your particular laptop and adding them to
/etc/X11/xorg.conf, or you can try adding the same as mine:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
Horizsync 31.5-48.0
Vertrefresh 56.0-65.0
EndSection

cheers,
Owen.

Knute Johnson 11-16-2008 01:52 AM

Szymon Marciniak wrote:
> There's nothing in your xorg.conf
> No "Driver" line,
> no Modes, its blank
>
> If you have nvidia or ati card, you can try envyng
> (i've not tested it with intel video cards - some laptops has this)

The card is an ATI M3. envyng just left me with a small window in my
larger screen. Couldn't get rid of it either.

Thanks,

Knute Johnson 11-16-2008 02:45 AM

Kim Briggs wrote:
> On 11/14/08, Knute Johnson <knute2008@www.knutejohnson.com> wrote:
>> I installed Ubuntu on my older laptop but the only options for screen
>> resolution are 800x600 and 640x480. I ran 1024x768 with XP and Fedora.
>> Any ideas how to get there?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> --
>>
>> Knute Johnson
>> knute2008@www.knutejohnson.com
>>
> Knute,
>
> It is really worth it to research your laptop make and model and find
> out what video card is used. You may be able to install additional
> drivers.

ATI M3

> Ubuntu can do an initial check through System - Administration -
> Hardware Drivers

Nothing shows up there for the video card.

> As long as you make a backup to the xorg.conf file, you can try to
> reconfigure the package:
>
> sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

I'll try that after I reload U from the little problem with envyng.

> and follow the instructions. If you boot up to blackness, you can
> press Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get to a terminal, where you can use the cp or mv
> command to replace the existing xorg.conf file with the backup. Make
> sure you are comfortable with doing this before starting.
>
> cheers,

I can do that, I think :-).

Thanks,

Knute Johnson 11-16-2008 02:47 AM

Owen Townend wrote:
> 2008/11/15 Knute Johnson <knute2008@www.knutejohnson.com>:
>> I installed Ubuntu on my older laptop but the only options for screen
>> resolution are 800x600 and 640x480. I ran 1024x768 with XP and Fedora.
>> Any ideas how to get there?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> --
>>
>> Knute Johnson
>> knute2008@www.knutejohnson.com
>
> Hey,
>
> I have had this same problem with my laptop. Reading through
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log you'll probably find that the 1024x768 LCD is
> found but that the hsync and vsync are not correctly detected.
> Try looking for specs for your particular laptop and adding them to
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf, or you can try adding the same as mine:
>
> Section "Monitor"
> Identifier "Configured Monitor"
> Horizsync 31.5-48.0
> Vertrefresh 56.0-65.0
> EndSection
>
> cheers,
> Owen.

I'll try that too, thanks.

Knute Johnson 11-16-2008 06:06 AM

Kim Briggs wrote:
> On 11/14/08, Knute Johnson <knute2008@www.knutejohnson.com> wrote:
>> I installed Ubuntu on my older laptop but the only options for screen
>> resolution are 800x600 and 640x480. I ran 1024x768 with XP and Fedora.
>> Any ideas how to get there?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> --
>>
>> Knute Johnson
>> knute2008@www.knutejohnson.com
>>
> Knute,
>
> It is really worth it to research your laptop make and model and find
> out what video card is used. You may be able to install additional
> drivers.
>
> Ubuntu can do an initial check through System - Administration -
> Hardware Drivers
>
> As long as you make a backup to the xorg.conf file, you can try to
> reconfigure the package:
>
> sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
>
> and follow the instructions. If you boot up to blackness, you can
> press Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get to a terminal, where you can use the cp or mv
> command to replace the existing xorg.conf file with the backup. Make
> sure you are comfortable with doing this before starting.
>
> cheers,

I tried that but it just hung. Had to power down to restart the
computer. I did solve it though with Owen's idea of adding Horizsync
and Vertrefresh lines to the xorg.conf file.

Thanks,