-   -   LVM management (was Boot sequence (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/193403-lvm-management-boot-sequence.html)

Derek Broughton 11-14-2008 02:42 PM

Derek Broughton wrote:

> I'm trying out kvpm, now, but there's system-config-lvm for gnome.
> So, yes, the desktop supports LVM.

With caveats.

I created a Logical Volume on one of the spare partitions.
I then extended the existing Volume Group to include the volume.

So far, so good, no problem.
Then I extended /home to include the new space. Oops. :-) It works -
and it might work better or worse if you have a different filesystem on
the partition you're extending (in this case JFS), but when I extended
the /home partition, it automatically extended the filesystem - and
_that_ required remounting RO (presumably because I was using it at the
time). So I still ended up having to reboot (one of the very few cases
where I miss having a root account - you can't be logged into a non-root
account without /home being in use [well, I suppose even that's not
really true, but creating an account with it's home directories
somewhere else seems just silly]).

Needless to say, don't do this without a backup :-)
--
derek

John Hubbard 11-14-2008 02:53 PM

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Derek Broughton wrote:
>

>> I'm trying out kvpm, now, but there's system-config-lvm for gnome.
>> So, yes, the desktop supports LVM.
>>

> With caveats.
>
> I created a Logical Volume on one of the spare partitions.
> I then extended the existing Volume Group to include the volume.
>
> So far, so good, no problem.
> Then I extended /home to include the new space. Oops. :-) It works -
> and it might work better or worse if you have a different filesystem on
> the partition you're extending (in this case JFS), but when I extended
> the /home partition, it automatically extended the filesystem - and
> _that_ required remounting RO (presumably because I was using it at the
> time). So I still ended up having to reboot (one of the very few cases
> where I miss having a root account - you can't be logged into a non-root
> account without /home being in use [well, I suppose even that's not
> really true, but creating an account with it's home directories
> somewhere else seems just silly]).
>
> Needless to say, don't do this without a backup :-)

Doesn't 'sudo su' get you logged in as root? Or is the problem that you
are still also logged in as your normal user?

--
-john

2b || !2b
(0b10)*(0b1100010) || !(0b10)*(0b1100010)
0b11000100 || !0b11000100
0b11000100 || 0b00111011
0b11111111
255, that is the answer.

Derek Broughton 11-14-2008 04:49 PM

John Hubbard wrote:

> Doesn't 'sudo su' get you logged in as root? Or is the problem that
> you are still also logged in as your normal user?

Precisely. The normal user still has /home/$USER open.

--
derek