Old 11-14-2008, 02:16 PM
Scott

Default Need to install Ubuntu via USB

The CD drive in my wife's laptop is broken, so I only have the option to
install through USB and I have had nothing but severe problems. I tried
with both a 8.04.1 disk and a iso with "create a usb startup disk" and
got the same outcome, a busybox shell prompt when trying to boot on the
USB drive.

I tried using unetbootin and it never even got to the first menu on the
USB drive and gave me an error saying it could not find a kernel.

I lastly tried the isotostick.sh script and I got the same busybox shell
when trying to boot into Ubuntu on the USB drive.

Help!! If I can't do this my wife's laptop will become nothing but a
very expensive paper weight.

--
Your friend,
Scott

Sent to you from a Linux computer using Ubuntu Version 8.10

Old 11-14-2008, 02:23 PM
"Loïc Grenié"

2008/11/14 Scott <slewin@bmts.com>:
> The CD drive in my wife's laptop is broken, so I only have the option to
> install through USB and I have had nothing but severe problems. I tried
> with both a 8.04.1 disk and a iso with "create a usb startup disk" and
> got the same outcome, a busybox shell prompt when trying to boot on the
> USB drive.

There may be an error hidden by the initramfs. Try to type

cat /casper.log

at the busybox prompt, the last line(s) should contain the error
(if there is one).

Hope this helps,

Loïc Grenié