Old 11-14-2008, 11:41 AM
Karl Larsen

Default Learned to love Intrepid

Back to Intrepid for a reason

My little Cheap Laptop had a problem. It has an Intel Mobile 4
video system which, when a nice guy said you may have a GTK problem, got
me started the right way in my Google search.

It took a while but then in a reference to the Mobile 4 that
Hardy will not work well with this computer because it has a lousy gtk
driver. The new Intrepid has a much improved gtk driver.

So I put 2 and 2 together and it all fell in place. I was
finding that Hardy would not come up every time and both Totem and VLC
would freeze the screen. I had to load it with the Alternate CD. Now
when I first tried Intrepid I had several unhappy problems, not of my
own making. I could not apt-get some things I wanted and updates were a
day late.

Last night I used the Intrepid LiveCD to load it again on the
lap-top and this time it wanted to update in 5 minutes 180 updates. I
let it do that and then d/l VLC and some things for that stupid Totem.
Totem can now display a DVD movie, but it still can't display local .wmv
short movie files. So the heck with Totem! VLC works fine and I can do
it all with no freezing of the screen.

I am prepared to love Intrepid because on the cheap laptop it is
the only Ubuntu that works :-)

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-14-2008, 01:27 PM
David Vincent

Old 11-14-2008, 02:32 PM
Karl Larsen

David Vincent wrote:

Nope. VLC is so superior to Totem for all things I will just leave
Totem alone.

It was just easy to test with Totem if Intrepid really fixed the freeze
problem :-)

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI