Old 11-13-2008, 07:14 PM
"ls199mp1505@shaped.dsl.eca.co.za"

Default SAK gives kernel panic

Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid, 32-bits.

First, switch to a text console , e.g. console_4
with <ctrl><alt><f4>. Login as root.

Then use loadkeys and assign the SAK key to

Finally, press the SAK key. Result:

attempt to kill init
kernel panic

Can be reproduced anytime.

-- frank

Old 11-14-2008, 10:52 AM
Derek Broughton

ls199mp1505@shaped.dsl.eca.co.za wrote:

> Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid, 32-bits.
>
> First, switch to a text console , e.g. console_4
> with <ctrl><alt><f4>. Login as root.
>
> Then use loadkeys and assign the SAK key to
>
> Finally, press the SAK key. Result:
>
> attempt to kill init
> kernel panic
>
> Can be reproduced anytime.

Not by the majority of us who don't have a SAK key :-) Do you have a
clue what that would be on a PC-104 US keyboard?
--
derek

Old 11-14-2008, 11:10 AM
"Steve Flynn"

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 11:52 AM, Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:

> Not by the majority of us who don't have a SAK key :-) Do you have a
> clue what that would be on a PC-104 US keyboard?

SAK only exists if you set it up - it's the Secure Attention Key, used
to kill any program attached to /dev/console.

See http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/SAK.txt or the kernel source.

--
Steve

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Old 11-14-2008, 03:57 PM
"ls199mp1505@shaped.dsl.eca.co.za"

Thanks, Steve, and yes SAK only is available after setting
it up.

And after setting it up it gives a kernel panic.

Are we together?

-- frank

Old 11-17-2008, 03:12 AM
"Anthony M. Rasat"

ls199mp1505@shaped.dsl.eca.co.za wrote:
> Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid, 32-bits.
>
> First, switch to a text console , e.g. console_4
> with <ctrl><alt><f4>. Login as root.
>
> Then use loadkeys and assign the SAK key to
>
> Finally, press the SAK key. Result:
>
> attempt to kill init
> kernel panic
>
> Can be reproduced anytime.
>

> -- frank

Frank, frankly I have never heard of SAK key. So I asked goodie ol'
Google. Apparently the mighty Andrew Morton have a good explaination, as
I quoted:

Linux 2.4.2 Secure Attention Key (SAK) handling
18 March 2001, Andrew Morton <akpm[AT]osdl[DOT]org>

An operating system's Secure Attention Key is a security tool which is
provided as protection against trojan password capturing programs. It
is an undefeatable way of killing all programs which could be
masquerading as login applications. Users need to be taught to enter
this key sequence before they log in to the system.

From the PC keyboard, Linux has two similar but different ways of
providing SAK. One is the ALT-SYSRQ-K sequence. You shouldn't use
this sequence. It is only available if the kernel was compiled with
sysrq support.

The proper way of generating a SAK is to define the key sequence using
`loadkeys'. This will work whether or not sysrq support is compiled
into the kernel.

SAK works correctly when the keyboard is in raw mode. This means that
once defined, SAK will kill a running X server. If the system is in
run level 5, the X server will restart. This is what you want to
happen.

What key sequence should you use? Well, CTRL-ALT-DEL is used to reboot
the machine. CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE is magical to the X server. We'll
choose CTRL-ALT-PAUSE.

In your rc.sysinit (or rc.local) file, add the command

echo "control alt keycode 101 = SAK" | /bin/loadkeys

And that's it! Only the superuser may reprogram the SAK key.

Anthony M. Rasat
Manager - Technical, Network and Support Division
PT. Jawa Pos National Network
Graha Pena Jawa Pos Group Building, 5th floor
Jln. Raya Kebayoran Lama 12, Jakarta Barat 12210
Indonesia.-
Phone 02132185562
Phone 081574217035
Fax 02153651465