Old 11-14-2008, 04:59 AM
Ray Parrish

Default unable to resolve host ...

Hello,

I followed some instructions from another thread to install vnc packages
so I can use Remote Desktop Viewer and got the following output from
terminal. The line I'm worried about is - *sudo: unable to resolve host
ray-desktop*.
Does this mean this install bombed. If not, why can it not resolve my
local host and is this something I need to worry about?

Later, Ray Parrish

ray@ray-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install xtightvncviewer xvnc4viewer
sudo: unable to resolve host ray-desktop
[sudo] password for ray:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
required:
python-zopeinterface python-twisted-core python-twisted-web python-elisa
python-bluez python-pgm python-avahi python-mutagen python-daap
python-pylirc libpigment0.3-4 python-setuptools python-pkg-resources
python-gpod python-twisted-bin
Suggested packages:
ssh tightvncserver vnc4-common vnc-common
xtightvncviewer xvnc4viewer
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 17 not upgraded.
Need to get 204kB of archives.
After this operation, 598kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/universe xtightvncviewer
1.2.9-22 [60.5kB]
Get:2 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/universe xvnc4viewer
4.1.1+xorg1.0.2-0ubuntu7 [143kB]
Fetched 204kB in 2s (82.8kB/s)
Selecting previously deselected package xtightvncviewer.
(Reading database ... 187358 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking xtightvncviewer (from .../xtightvncviewer_1.2.9-22_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package xvnc4viewer.
Unpacking xvnc4viewer (from
.../xvnc4viewer_4.1.1+xorg1.0.2-0ubuntu7_i386.deb) ...
Setting up xtightvncviewer (1.2.9-22) ...

Setting up xvnc4viewer (4.1.1+xorg1.0.2-0ubuntu7) ...

ray@ray-desktop:~$

Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows

Old 11-14-2008, 05:14 AM
Rashkae

Ray Parrish wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I followed some instructions from another thread to install vnc packages
> so I can use Remote Desktop Viewer and got the following output from
> terminal. The line I'm worried about is - *sudo: unable to resolve host
> ray-desktop*.
> Does this mean this install bombed. If not, why can it not resolve my
> local host and is this something I need to worry about?

your install worked, but the messed up hostname can cause problems down
the road.

Check your /etc/hosts file, by default, it should contain something like:

127.0.0.1 localhost Horo
127.0.1.1 Horo

In my case, Horo is my host name, yours should be ray-desktop

You can also try setting your hostname from Ubuntu GUI (System ->
Administration -> Network, General tab). That should fix the hostname
in all places Ubuntu expects it to be.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:29 AM
Ray Parrish

Thanks! I had a hard time getting terminal to co-operate to get this
done as you can see from the following output, but it finally let me
start gedit in admin mode, and the changes to the hosts file have fixed
the problem.

OOPS! Never mind pasting that output in here, it contained my password.

Later, Ray Parrish