-   -   How to get gtk "Emacs" theme again in xubuntu 8.10? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/193050-how-get-gtk-emacs-theme-again-xubuntu-8-10-a.html)

Chris G 11-13-2008 08:54 PM

How to get gtk "Emacs" theme again in xubuntu 8.10?

In previous Linux installations I have created a file ~/.gtkrc-2.0
with the following contents:-

gtk-key-theme-name = "Emacs"

... and this gives me the expected keyboard shortcuts I want in
firefox among other places. In particular it means that CTRL/U is
delete line.

However in xubuntu 8.10 with firefox 3.0.3 this doesn't work, can
anyone tell me the magic incantation to get CTL/U to work as I expect
it to with this installation?

--
Chris Green

Marius Gedminas 11-13-2008 10:09 PM

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 09:54:10PM +0000, Chris G wrote:
> In previous Linux installations I have created a file ~/.gtkrc-2.0
> with the following contents:-
>
> gtk-key-theme-name = "Emacs"
>
> ... and this gives me the expected keyboard shortcuts I want in
> firefox among other places. In particular it means that CTRL/U is
> delete line.
>
> However in xubuntu 8.10 with firefox 3.0.3 this doesn't work, can
> anyone tell me the magic incantation to get CTL/U to work as I expect
> it to with this installation?

In Ubuntu you can set that with gconf-editor (or gconftool if you prefer
the command line), under /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_key_theme.
Perhaps that would work for you.

HTH,
Marius Gedminas
--
The memory management on the PowerPC can be used to frighten small children.
-- Linus Torvalds

Chris G 11-14-2008 09:00 AM

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 01:09:46AM +0200, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 09:54:10PM +0000, Chris G wrote:
> > In previous Linux installations I have created a file ~/.gtkrc-2.0
> > with the following contents:-
> >
> > gtk-key-theme-name = "Emacs"
> >
> > ... and this gives me the expected keyboard shortcuts I want in
> > firefox among other places. In particular it means that CTRL/U is
> > delete line.
> >
> > However in xubuntu 8.10 with firefox 3.0.3 this doesn't work, can
> > anyone tell me the magic incantation to get CTL/U to work as I expect
> > it to with this installation?
>
> In Ubuntu you can set that with gconf-editor (or gconftool if you prefer
> the command line), under /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_key_theme.
> Perhaps that would work for you.

I wonder what the xfce equivalent is, I'll go and ask on the xfce list.

--
Chris Green