Old 11-13-2008, 06:56 PM
Bill Taylor

Default SOLVED intrepid problem

Old 11-13-2008, 07:19 PM
NoOp

On 11/13/2008 11:56 AM, Bill Taylor wrote:

> title Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-7-generic
> root (hd0,5)
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic
> root=UUID=d0357aa7-0f56-456b-8ce9-2b6fe6d8e429 ro quiet splash
> initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-7-generic
> quiet
>
> title Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-7-generic (recovery mode)
> root (hd0,5)
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic
> root=UUID=d0357aa7-0f56-456b-8ce9-2b6fe6d8e429 ro single
> initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-7-generic
> - -----------------------------------------------------------------
> NoOp,
> Thank you, it not only boots to the new kernel, it accepted the new
> version of Sun's xVM VirtualBox and now everything works.

Great! Now follow Leonard's advise to clean up your system - from the
terminal (I've added a few extras):

sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo apt-get -f install
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo cp /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.intrepid.backup
sudo update-grub

and hopefully you'll be OK now. If the 'sudo update-grub' messes up
anything, then you'll have a backup 'menu.intrepid.backup' that can be
moved back to menu.lst.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:07 PM
Bill Taylor

Old 11-14-2008, 10:58 AM
Derek Broughton

Bill Taylor wrote:

> NoOp and everyone else, Thank-you!
> I ran the commands and my system boots faster. If you men can stand me
> for a while longer

As long as you stop making new threads for every second post, please.
It's hard to follow when there are no threads. I'm not 100% certain
what you did do in the end. Just keep replying to previous messages, and
don't change the subjects unless you're really discussing something
different.

> I might, just might, get as good on Ubuntu as I am or
> was on windoze. I noted the commands in my notebook for the future.

I'm a little concerned that you appear to now have a hard-code menu.lst
- the next time you update a kernel (today, if you keep up with
updates!) you'll have the same problem, because your kernel won't be
automatically added to the grub menu. You have a work-around, not a fix.
--
derek

Old 11-14-2008, 06:20 PM
NoOp

On 11/14/2008 03:58 AM, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Bill Taylor wrote:
>>
>> NoOp and everyone else, Thank-you!
>> I ran the commands and my system boots faster. If you men can stand me
>> for a while longer
>
> As long as you stop making new threads for every second post, please.
> It's hard to follow when there are no threads. I'm not 100% certain
> what you did do in the end. Just keep replying to previous messages, and
> don't change the subjects unless you're really discussing something
> different.
>
>> I might, just might, get as good on Ubuntu as I am or
>> was on windoze. I noted the commands in my notebook for the future.
>
> I'm a little concerned that you appear to now have a hard-code menu.lst
> - the next time you update a kernel (today, if you keep up with
> updates!) you'll have the same problem, because your kernel won't be
> automatically added to the grub menu. You have a work-around, not a fix.

Actually it should update just fine. I had a similar problem on one of
my hardy systems & after modifying et al it updated just fine from -19
to -21. The only other thing that I'd probably suggest is to

sudo update-initramfs -u -k all

Old 11-14-2008, 07:07 PM
Derek Broughton

NoOp wrote:

> On 11/14/2008 03:58 AM, Derek Broughton wrote:
>>
>> I'm a little concerned that you appear to now have a hard-code
>> menu.lst - the next time you update a kernel (today, if you keep up
>> with updates!) you'll have the same problem, because your kernel
>> won't be
>> automatically added to the grub menu. You have a work-around, not a
>> fix.
>
> Actually it should update just fine.

How? It's never been updating before... I'm pretty well convinced he
doesn't have any of the meta-comments needed for update-grub (at least
when I asked him to post his menu.lst, he didn't send any of that...)

--
derek

Old 11-15-2008, 12:14 AM
NoOp

On 11/14/2008 12:07 PM, Derek Broughton wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>
>> On 11/14/2008 03:58 AM, Derek Broughton wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm a little concerned that you appear to now have a hard-code
>>> menu.lst - the next time you update a kernel (today, if you keep up
>>> with updates!) you'll have the same problem, because your kernel
>>> won't be
>>> automatically added to the grub menu. You have a work-around, not a
>>> fix.
>>
>> Actually it should update just fine.
>
> How? It's never been updating before... I'm pretty well convinced he
> doesn't have any of the meta-comments needed for update-grub (at least
> when I asked him to post his menu.lst, he didn't send any of that...)

I think that you _might_ be referring to another guy that posted his
menu.lst in response to Bill's issue, but I could be wrong.
Bill hasn't quite gotten the hang of staying on a single thread & the

Anyway, I had a similar issue with one of my machines - in fact the
exact same issue with hardy. I think that a few others mentioned that
they had the same as well. Anyway, the lines/commands I recommended to
Bill worked for me & that machine has been updating just fine ever
since. So... WorksForMe & apparently is working for Bill. Who knows what
the real issue was, but I'm not willing to spend any more time trying to
ask Bill to tweak his system any further. If he has any further issues
then we'll (YTINW) work on them as they come along.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:58 PM
Bill Taylor

Old 11-15-2008, 09:22 PM
Derek Broughton

Bill Taylor wrote:

> Some time back I cleaned all the unused entries from my
> /boot/grub/menu.lst and when I did so I created
> /boot/grub/menu.lst.backup. Last evening I printed the backup copy of
> the original backup and the present menu.lst. In the comments there
> was an entry that was missing as follows;
>
> ## Setup crashdump menu entries
> ## e.g. crashdump=1
> # crashdump=0
>
> I have edited /boot/grub/menu.lst and have placed the missing entry
> into the menu at the exact location as the backup copy from before I
> fiddled
> with it. I might be wrong but I feel that this has been the problem,
> am I wrong?

I would _think_ you're wrong. I can't see that doing anything like
this.

You never did answer my question - was what you posted to the list your
ENTIRE menu.lst? If it was, update-grub still isn't going to work. Why
don't you just post your entire current menu.lst?
--
derek

Old 11-15-2008, 10:01 PM
NoOp

On 11/15/2008 02:22 PM, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Bill Taylor wrote:
>
>> Some time back I cleaned all the unused entries from my
>> /boot/grub/menu.lst and when I did so I created
>> /boot/grub/menu.lst.backup. Last evening I printed the backup copy of
>> the original backup and the present menu.lst. In the comments there
>> was an entry that was missing as follows;
>>
>> ## Setup crashdump menu entries
>> ## e.g. crashdump=1
>> # crashdump=0
>>
>> I have edited /boot/grub/menu.lst and have placed the missing entry
>> into the menu at the exact location as the backup copy from before I
>> fiddled
>> with it. I might be wrong but I feel that this has been the problem,
>> am I wrong?
>
> I would _think_ you're wrong. I can't see that doing anything like
> this.
>
> You never did answer my question - was what you posted to the list your
> ENTIRE menu.lst? If it was, update-grub still isn't going to work. Why
> don't you just post your entire current menu.lst?

And I'd agree with Derek, that if that was your entire menu.lst you will
encounter problems. Post the entire menu.lst & then we can post a
complete one with your kernel lines included.