Old 11-13-2008, 04:34 PM
norman

Default helping a new Ubuntu user

My brother is in the process of converting from Windows to Ubuntu and is
quite computerate. However, I am expected to be the fount of all
knowledge about Ubuntu whereas I am really pretty ignorant. The
difficulty is that we are several hundred kilometres apart and sometimes
it is quite difficult to visualise what he is seeing on his monitor from
his descriptions. It would be most useful if I were able to see his
monitor screen and I wondered if this were possible for a relative
rookie like me.

There must be lots of you who have had similar problems and I would
welcome any useful advice you can pass to me. Who knows, if I am
successful in converting my brother to Ubuntu others in the family may
follow.

Norman

Old 11-13-2008, 04:50 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

> My brother is in the process of converting from Windows to
> Ubuntu and is
> quite computerate. However, I am expected to be the fount
> of all
> knowledge about Ubuntu whereas I am really pretty ignorant.
> The
> difficulty is that we are several hundred kilometres apart
> and sometimes
> it is quite difficult to visualise what he is seeing on his
> monitor from
> his descriptions. It would be most useful if I were able to
> see his
> monitor screen and I wondered if this were possible for a
> relative
> rookie like me.
>
> There must be lots of you who have had similar problems and
> I would
> welcome any useful advice you can pass to me. Who knows, if
> I am
> successful in converting my brother to Ubuntu others in the
> family may
> follow.
>
> Norman

Norman, I'm no expert either but I think you can do what you want with "ksnapshot" installed on your brother's computer. I use kde4 desktop but it should work for the gnome desktop once installed. HTH,

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 11-13-2008, 05:19 PM
norman

< snip >

> Norman, I'm no expert either but I think you can do what you want with "ksnapshot" installed on your brother's computer. I use kde4 desktop but it should work for the gnome desktop once installed. HTH,

Perhaps I did not explain myself very well. I want to be able to see his
monitor screen whilst we are talking on the telephone so that I can see
what is happening as he follows my instruction.

Norman

Old 11-13-2008, 05:24 PM
Mark Barton

Hi Norman

norman wrote:
> My brother is in the process of converting from Windows to Ubuntu and is
> quite computerate. However, I am expected to be the fount of all
> knowledge about Ubuntu whereas I am really pretty ignorant. The
> difficulty is that we are several hundred kilometres apart and sometimes
> it is quite difficult to visualise what he is seeing on his monitor from
> his descriptions. It would be most useful if I were able to see his
> monitor screen and I wondered if this were possible for a relative
> rookie like me.
>
> There must be lots of you who have had similar problems and I would
> welcome any useful advice you can pass to me. Who knows, if I am
> successful in converting my brother to Ubuntu others in the family may
> follow.
>
> Norman

Yes and it easy to use. At least on Hardy using the gnome desktop, you
can enable the server on you brother computer in
System-.Preferences->Remote Desktop. You can specify a password if
desired. On your machine, the client, you would use the remote desktop
viewer in Application->Internet->Remote Desktop Viewer to view and
control the remote desktop. I don't remember if the viewer was from a
stock Hardy install or I had to pull it from the repositories. You can
also use a terminal base program called vncviewer available from the
respositories. Make sure that port 5900 is not blocked by your router or
firewall.

Having said that, I understand there is a bug in Hardy that may cause
some grief. I have had lost connection issues with tightvnc viewer
running on windows and the gnome based desktop server.

Enabling the remote desktop server is not very secure even if you use a
password although it is better than nothing. I would enable the remote
desktop only when necessary. There are several other slight more complex
ways of doing the same thing which are much more secure. Perhaps someone
more knowledgeable than me can chime in.

Mark

Old 11-13-2008, 05:25 PM
Knapp

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 7:19 PM, norman <norman@littletank.org> wrote:
> < snip >
>
>> Norman, I'm no expert either but I think you can do what you want with "ksnapshot" installed on your brother's computer. I use kde4 desktop but it should work for the gnome desktop once installed. HTH,
>
> Perhaps I did not explain myself very well. I want to be able to see his
> monitor screen whilst we are talking on the telephone so that I can see
> what is happening as he follows my instruction.
>
> Norman

Never tried it though. I have the same problem, Brother Seattle WA
USA, me Essen Germany.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubuntu/kubuntu/enable-remote-desktop-vnc-on-kubuntu/
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/share-your-ubuntu-desktop-using-remote-desktop.html

--
Douglas E Knapp

Old 11-13-2008, 05:33 PM
Leif Gregory

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 18:19:56 +0000
norman <norman@littletank.org> wrote:

> Perhaps I did not explain myself very well. I want to be able to see
> his monitor screen whilst we are talking on the telephone so that I
> can see what is happening as he follows my instruction.

Remote Desktop is the easiest way. It's even built in. Here's a how-to.

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/share-your-ubuntu-desktop-using-remote-desktop.html

Old 11-13-2008, 05:52 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

> > Norman, I'm no expert either but I think you can
> do what you want with "ksnapshot" installed on
> your brother's computer. I use kde4 desktop but it
> should work for the gnome desktop once installed. HTH,
>
> Perhaps I did not explain myself very well. I want to be
> able to see his
> monitor screen whilst we are talking on the telephone so
> that I can see
> what is happening as he follows my instruction.
>
> Norman

Yep, I kinda missed that- In any case, I would have recommended using Remote Desktop as others have in that case.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 11-13-2008, 06:15 PM
Derek Broughton

Leif Gregory wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 18:19:56 +0000
> norman <norman@littletank.org> wrote:
>
>> Perhaps I did not explain myself very well. I want to be able to see
>> his monitor screen whilst we are talking on the telephone so that I
>> can see what is happening as he follows my instruction.
>
> Remote Desktop is the easiest way. It's even built in. Here's a
> how-to.
>
> http://www.ubuntugeek.com/share-your-ubuntu-desktop-using-remote-desktop.html

Strictly, "Destop sharing" is what he wants (krfb). Remote desktop
(krdc/rdesktop) is used to connect to another machine in a separate
session, but krfb allows two users to see the same display (and to
control it, too, if so desired).
--
derek

Old 11-13-2008, 06:18 PM
NoOp

On 11/13/2008 09:34 AM, norman wrote:
> My brother is in the process of converting from Windows to Ubuntu and is
> quite computerate. However, I am expected to be the fount of all
> knowledge about Ubuntu whereas I am really pretty ignorant. The
> difficulty is that we are several hundred kilometres apart and sometimes
> it is quite difficult to visualise what he is seeing on his monitor from
> his descriptions. It would be most useful if I were able to see his
> monitor screen and I wondered if this were possible for a relative
> rookie like me.
>
> There must be lots of you who have had similar problems and I would
> welcome any useful advice you can pass to me. Who knows, if I am
> successful in converting my brother to Ubuntu others in the family may
> follow.
>
> Norman

Have him enable 'Remote Desktop': System|Preferences|Remote Desktop

Set/check as follows:

- Allow other users to view your desktop
- Allow other users to control your desktop
- Ask you for confirmation
- Require the user to enter this password

Make sure that he sets a good password (8 or more characters w/mixed
upper & lower case + numerals). I would also recommend that he change
the default VNC port from 5900 to something else - perhaps 105900 (it's
under the 'Advanced' tab.

He will also need to ensure that his firewall settings allow the connection.

On your system:

sudo apt-get install xtightvncviewer xvnc4viewer

From your side to log in:

1. Have him open up a browser and go to http://whatsmyip.org and then
tell you the IP address that shows at the top of the screen.

2. Open the terminal server client: Applications|Internet|Terminal
Server Client

- Computer: his IP address & port number, example
222.222.222.222:10590
- Protocol: VNC

3. Click the 'Connect' button. You should then get a password prompt:
enter the password that he set.

4. A popup will now appear on _his_ desktop saying:

Another user is trying to view your desktop
etc.
Do you want to allow them to do so?

Once he clicks "Allow", you should be in.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:07 PM
norman

Thanks to all of you for lots of useful help.

Norman