-   -   VLC or Totem under WUBI 8.10 fail (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/192778-vlc-totem-under-wubi-8-10-fail.html)

Mark H. Nichols 11-13-2008 12:54 PM

VLC or Totem under WUBI 8.10 fail

I am experimenting with 8.10 via Wubi on a ThinkPad Z60m prior to backing up my personal data, formatting the drive, and installing Ubuntu as the sole operating system on that machine.
So far I have been unable to get DVD playback to work. *I've tried multiple movies using Totem, and always get the same error, "unable to read source." *Last evening I installed VLC (sudo apt-get install vlc) and also libdvdcss2, but was unable to view any DVD I tried. *VLC just doesn't work, no error messages are displayed.
Is there a "feature" in Wubi that prevents DVD playback? *I really want to convert this machine from XP to Ubuntu, but from time to time it is pressed into service as a DVD player, and I want some assurance I'll be able to use it that way.
tia,Mark

--mark nicholsRegistered Linux User # 458073

Karl Larsen 11-13-2008 01:07 PM

Mark H. Nichols wrote:
> I am experimenting with 8.10 via Wubi on a ThinkPad Z60m prior to
> backing up my personal data, formatting the drive, and installing
> Ubuntu as the sole operating system on that machine.
>
> So far I have been unable to get DVD playback to work. I've tried
> multiple movies using Totem, and always get the same error, "unable to
> read source." Last evening I installed VLC (sudo apt-get install vlc)
> and also libdvdcss2, but was unable to view any DVD I tried. VLC just
> doesn't work, no error messages are displayed.
>
> Is there a "feature" in Wubi that prevents DVD playback? I really
> want to convert this machine from XP to Ubuntu, but from time to time
> it is pressed into service as a DVD player, and I want some assurance
> I'll be able to use it that way.
>
> tia,
> Mark
>
> --
> mark nichols
> Registered Linux User # 458073

Well I think your operating Ubuntu from within Windows. This may be
the problem. But I too am having trouble even with Hardy! When I try to
get libdvdcss2 it doesn't work for some reason. I have it on this Hardy
but not on my lap-top.

Due to the legal problems the method for getting Multimedia to work
on Linux is weird.

Are you sure you got the lib?

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Nils Kassube 11-13-2008 02:00 PM

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Well I think your operating Ubuntu from within Windows.

Nope, the Wubi installer is just that, an installer. It helps install
Linux to a file within the Windows partition which is used as a virtual
disk for Linux. Then when you run Linux it is not within Windows but run
natively.

And sorry, I don't know what's going wrong either.

Nils

Karl Larsen 11-13-2008 02:50 PM

Nils Kassube wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> Well I think your operating Ubuntu from within Windows.
>>

> Nope, the Wubi installer is just that, an installer. It helps install
> Linux to a file within the Windows partition which is used as a virtual
> disk for Linux. Then when you run Linux it is not within Windows but run
> natively.
>
> And sorry, I don't know what's going wrong either.
>

> Nils

Well I find that this happens now for two days running:

karl@karl-hardy:~$ sudo wget
http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/hardy.list--output-document=etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list
--08:46:41--
http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/hardy.list--output-document=etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list
=> `medibuntu.list'
Resolving www.medibuntu.org... 87.98.242.110
Connecting to www.medibuntu.org|87.98.242.110|:80... connected.
08:46:42 ERROR 404: Not Found.

It appears you can no longer get the medibuntu.list any more due to
some problem at the web page.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Kim Goldenberg 11-13-2008 03:02 PM

Karl Larsen wrote:
>> Nils
>>

> Well I find that this happens now for two days running:
>
> karl@karl-hardy:~$ sudo wget
> http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/hardy.list--output-document=etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list
> --08:46:41--
> http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/hardy.list--output-document=etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list
> => `medibuntu.list'
> Resolving www.medibuntu.org... 87.98.242.110
> Connecting to www.medibuntu.org|87.98.242.110|:80... connected.
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
> 08:46:42 ERROR 404: Not Found.
>
> It appears you can no longer get the medibuntu.list any more due to
> some problem at the web page.
>

> Karl

Karl -
There needs to be a space before the --output-document part of the line.

Kim

Karl Larsen 11-13-2008 03:20 PM

Kim Goldenberg wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>>> Nils
>>>

>> Well I find that this happens now for two days running:
>>
>> karl@karl-hardy:~$ sudo wget
>> http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/hardy.list--output-document=etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list
>> --08:46:41--
>> http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/hardy.list--output-document=etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list
>> => `medibuntu.list'
>> Resolving www.medibuntu.org... 87.98.242.110
>> Connecting to www.medibuntu.org|87.98.242.110|:80... connected.
>> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
>> 08:46:42 ERROR 404: Not Found.
>>
>> It appears you can no longer get the medibuntu.list any more due to
>> some problem at the web page.
>>

>> Karl
>>

> Karl -
> There needs to be a space before the --output-document part of the line.
>
> Kim

Your right! It now works...

karl@karl-hardy:~$ sudo wget
http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/hardy.list
--output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list
[sudo] password for karl:
--09:18:11-- http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/hardy.list
=> `/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list'
Resolving www.medibuntu.org... 87.98.242.110
Connecting to www.medibuntu.org|87.98.242.110|:80... connected.
Length: 226 [text/plain]

100%[====================================>] 226
--.--K/s

09:18:12 (14.84 MB/s) - `/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list' saved
[226/226]

karl@karl-hardy:~$

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Nils Kassube 11-13-2008 03:22 PM

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Karl Larsen wrote:
> >> Well I think your operating Ubuntu from within Windows.
> >
> > Nope, the Wubi installer is just that, an installer. It helps install
> > Linux to a file within the Windows partition which is used as a
> > virtual disk for Linux. Then when you run Linux it is not within
> > Windows but run natively.
>
> Well I find that this happens now for two days running:

And it has nothing to do with Wubi BTW.

> karl@karl-hardy:~$ sudo wget
> http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/hardy.list--output-document=etc
>/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list --08:46:41--

To me it looks like you messed up the URL (unless you just wrote it wrong
here). There are options added to the URL and then it is no wonder the
server doesn't know where to find the file.

Try this, it should be fairly safe to copy and paste the individual lines
one after the other:

URL="http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/hardy.list"
FILE="/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list"
sudo wget $URL --output-document=$FILE
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring
sudo apt-get update

Nils

"Mark Nichols" 11-14-2008 12:51 AM

URL="" href="http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/hardy.list" target="_blank">http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/hardy.list"

FILE="/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list"

sudo wget $URL --output-document=$FILE

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring

sudo apt-get update

I ran the above commands and tried VLC again with no luck.* Next I uninstalled VLC (sudo apt-get remove vlc), noted that a bunch of libraries were now "orphaned," so I then ran sudo apt-get autoremove.* Once that complete I installed VLC once again.*

Now the player briefly shows the title of the DVD, but then nothing happens.

Totem still doesn't work either.*

Perhaps the loopback setup under wubi is interferring with this working cleanly?*

Help me Obi-wan, you're my only hope.
Mark

Nils Kassube 11-14-2008 05:24 AM

Mark Nichols wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 10:22 AM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
> > Try this, it should be fairly safe to copy and paste the individual
> > lines one after the other:
> >
> > URL="http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/hardy.list"
> > FILE="/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list"
> > sudo wget $URL --output-document=$FILE
> > sudo apt-get update
> > sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring
> > sudo apt-get update
>
> I ran the above commands and tried VLC again with no luck. Next I
> uninstalled VLC (sudo apt-get remove vlc), noted that a bunch of
> libraries were now "orphaned," so I then ran sudo apt-get autoremove.
> Once that complete I installed VLC once again.

OK, with the commands above you have added the medibuntu repository. That
was the problem Karl had, so I only wrote that part. Now you still need
to install the libdvdcss2 package. I should have added this command in
the previous mail:

sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2

> Now the player briefly shows the title of the DVD, but then nothing
> happens.

It can't show more because the DVD is encrypted. I think it should work
after installing libdvdcss2.

Nils

"Mark H. Nichols" 11-14-2008 10:42 PM

On Nov 14, 2008, at 12:24 AM, Nils Kassube wrote:

> Mark Nichols wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 10:22 AM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net>
>> wrote:
>>> Try this, it should be fairly safe to copy and paste the individual
>>> lines one after the other:
>>>
>>> URL="http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/hardy.list"
>>> FILE="/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list"
>>> sudo wget $URL --output-document=$FILE
>>> sudo apt-get update
>>> sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring
>>> sudo apt-get update
>>
>> I ran the above commands and tried VLC again with no luck. Next I
>> uninstalled VLC (sudo apt-get remove vlc), noted that a bunch of
>> libraries were now "orphaned," so I then ran sudo apt-get autoremove.
>> Once that complete I installed VLC once again.
>
> OK, with the commands above you have added the medibuntu
> repository. That
> was the problem Karl had, so I only wrote that part. Now you still
> need
> to install the libdvdcss2 package. I should have added this command in
> the previous mail:
>
> sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2
>
>> Now the player briefly shows the title of the DVD, but then nothing
>> happens.
>
> It can't show more because the DVD is encrypted. I think it should
> work
> after installing libdvdcss2.

(slaps forehead) D'oh! VLC and Totem are working perfectly now that
I've installed libdvdcss2. Thanks for all your help.

Mark