Old 11-13-2008, 09:09 AM
"Farzad Farahaninia"

Default kubuntu and ubuntu

hi; i want to have both kubuntu and ubuntu on my computer;
should i install both cds? or just one is enough? how can i install them both and switch between theme?
tnx.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:12 AM
Knapp

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 11:09 AM, Farzad Farahaninia
<farzad.farahaninia@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi; i want to have both kubuntu and ubuntu on my computer;
> should i install both cds? or just one is enough? how can i install them
> both and switch between theme?
> tnx.

Install just one, say Ubuntu because Kubuntu 8.10 has some problems
but 8.04 kubuntu does not.
Then to add KDE4 (8.10)
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

There is also xubuntu-desktop, ubuntu-desktop and edubuntu-desktop.
You might wish to try the others also.
If you are using kubuntu 8.04 then you might want to try kde4 too. If
you are using 8.10 then you have no choice and must use kde4 and it is
said to be buggy so watch out! It is predicted that kde4 will be worth
using for a newbie in a year. We will see.

You can pick which one to use at sign in time. You can then sign out
and sign in again with a different system without rebooting the
computer. You can use KDE software in Gnome and vies verse if you have
the libs installed (this is no problem if you have extra HD space and
most of us do.). Just install the program and the libs will be taken
care of automatically.

Have fun!
--
Douglas E Knapp