Old 11-12-2008, 07:38 PM
EL

Default emacs22-nox and terminal app

In ubuntu desktop 8.10, i insstallled emacs22-nox. Hoping to use it in a
traditional way: in a shall.
Since the terminal app's menubar uses alt prefixed hotkeys, the metakey of
emacs stopping work.
So I have to turn teh menubar off everytime I use emacs. I wonder if there
is a way to config my terminal defaulting to no menubar?

Even if the menubar is turned off, I think c-w is not working. So I really
need to know how to make emacs22-nox work correctly, or I have to use emacs
gui?

Thanks for any help,
el.debian@gmail.com

Old 11-13-2008, 04:11 PM
Florian Diesch

EL <elim@elinkage.net> wrote:

> In ubuntu desktop 8.10, i insstallled emacs22-nox. Hoping to use it in a
> traditional way: in a shall.
> Since the terminal app's menubar uses alt prefixed hotkeys, the metakey of
> emacs stopping work.
> So I have to turn teh menubar off everytime I use emacs. I wonder if there
> is a way to config my terminal defaulting to no menubar?
>
> Even if the menubar is turned off, I think c-w is not working. So I really
> need to know how to make emacs22-nox work correctly, or I have to use emacs
> gui?

gnome-terminal defines a lot of key bindings that may interfere with
emacs. The easiest way is to use a simpler terminal like xterm to
start emacs in.

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>

Old 11-14-2008, 09:34 AM
Christoph Bier

EL schrieb:
> In ubuntu desktop 8.10, i insstallled emacs22-nox. Hoping to use it in a
> traditional way: in a shall.
> Since the terminal app's menubar uses alt prefixed hotkeys, the metakey of
> emacs stopping work.
> So I have to turn teh menubar off everytime I use emacs. I wonder if there
> is a way to config my terminal defaulting to no menubar?
>
> Even if the menubar is turned off, I think c-w is not working. So I really
> need to know how to make emacs22-nox work correctly, or I have to use emacs
> gui?

I created a default profile for Emacs in gnome-terminal called emacs.

Best
Christoph
--
+++ Typografie-Regeln: http://zvisionwelt.de/downloads.html (1.6)