Old 11-13-2008, 02:45 AM
Linda

Default procmail question

I've been playing with delivering mail to the proper mail directory with
no luck. No matter what I do it delivers the mail to /var/mail/$USER
instead of to /var/mail/$USER/new or /var/mail/$USER/cur
I even tried making the address explicit instead of $USER putting in a
users name to no avail. I can then move the message files to the
subdirectory and it works for the mail client to pick it up from the
dovecot IMAP server

Here is what I have in the procmailrc file so what am I doing wrong?

# .procmailrc
# routes incoming mail to appropriate mailboxes
PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
MAILDIR=/var/mail/$USER/
Default=/var/mail/$USER/new/

Thanks
Linda

Old 11-13-2008, 03:54 AM
Christopher Chan

Linda wrote:
> I've been playing with delivering mail to the proper mail directory with
> no luck. No matter what I do it delivers the mail to /var/mail/$USER
> instead of to /var/mail/$USER/new or /var/mail/$USER/cur
> I even tried making the address explicit instead of $USER putting in a
> users name to no avail. I can then move the message files to the
> subdirectory and it works for the mail client to pick it up from the
> dovecot IMAP server
>
> Here is what I have in the procmailrc file so what am I doing wrong?
>
> # .procmailrc
> # routes incoming mail to appropriate mailboxes
> PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
> MAILDIR=/var/mail/$USER/
> Default=/var/mail/$USER/new/

DEFAULT should be /var/mail/$USER/

Assuming procmail follows .procmailrc...

Old 11-13-2008, 06:39 AM
Erik Christiansen

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 09:45:41PM -0600, Linda wrote:
> No matter what I do it delivers the mail to /var/mail/$USER
> instead of to /var/mail/$USER/new or /var/mail/$USER/cur
> # .procmailrc
> # routes incoming mail to appropriate mailboxes
> PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
> MAILDIR=/var/mail/$USER/
> Default=/var/mail/$USER/new/

Is it because you're setting "Default", leaving "DEFAULT" undefined?

Erik

Old 11-13-2008, 08:14 PM
Robert Holtzman

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008, Christopher Chan wrote:

> Linda wrote:
>> Here is what I have in the procmailrc file so what am I doing wrong?
>>
>> # .procmailrc
>> # routes incoming mail to appropriate mailboxes
>> PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
>> MAILDIR=/var/mail/$USER/
>> Default=/var/mail/$USER/new/
>
> DEFAULT should be /var/mail/$USER/
>
> Assuming procmail follows .procmailrc...

Since .procmailrc states:

# Messages that fall through all your procmail recipes are delivered
# to your default INBOX. To find out yours, run 'procmail -v'

I would assume that using /var/mail/$USER/ as default would assure mail
never gets delivered to /var/mail/$USER/new/. What am I missing?

--
Bob Holtzman
Your mail is being read by tight lipped

Old 11-13-2008, 09:02 PM
John Masters

On 21:45 Wed 12 Nov , Linda wrote:
> I've been playing with delivering mail to the proper mail directory with
> no luck. No matter what I do it delivers the mail to /var/mail/$USER
> instead of to /var/mail/$USER/new or /var/mail/$USER/cur
> I even tried making the address explicit instead of $USER putting in a
> users name to no avail. I can then move the message files to the
> subdirectory and it works for the mail client to pick it up from the
> dovecot IMAP server

You do not need to specify the new/cur/tmp dirs as these are created as
needed: /new for unread and new messages, /cur for read messages and
/tmp for, you guessed it.

If you do somthing like

:0
* ^TO_ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
.Ubuntu/

the .Ubuntu dir will be created the first time a message is received that
contains 'ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com' in the To or Cc headers, and
the cur/new/tmp directories will be created also.

--
Regards, John

Old 11-16-2008, 11:15 PM
Christopher Chan

Robert Holtzman wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Nov 2008, Christopher Chan wrote:
>
>> Linda wrote:
>>> Here is what I have in the procmailrc file so what am I doing wrong?
>>>
>>> # .procmailrc
>>> # routes incoming mail to appropriate mailboxes
>>> PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
>>> MAILDIR=/var/mail/$USER/
>>> Default=/var/mail/$USER/new/
>> DEFAULT should be /var/mail/$USER/
>>
>> Assuming procmail follows .procmailrc...
>
> Since .procmailrc states:
>
> # Messages that fall through all your procmail recipes are delivered
> # to your default INBOX. To find out yours, run 'procmail -v'
>
> I would assume that using /var/mail/$USER/ as default would assure mail
> never gets delivered to /var/mail/$USER/new/. What am I missing?

Knowledge of maildir? Setting DEFAULT to /var/mail/$user/new/ will make
procmail attempt to deliver to /var/mail/$user/new/new/

Old 11-17-2008, 04:16 AM
Robert Holtzman

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008, Christopher Chan wrote:

> Robert Holtzman wrote:

>>> DEFAULT should be /var/mail/$USER/
>>>
>>> Assuming procmail follows .procmailrc...
>>
>> Since .procmailrc states:
>>
>> # Messages that fall through all your procmail recipes are delivered
>> # to your default INBOX. To find out yours, run 'procmail -v'
>>
>> I would assume that using /var/mail/$USER/ as default would assure mail
>> never gets delivered to /var/mail/$USER/new/. What am I missing?
>>

> Knowledge of maildir? Setting DEFAULT to /var/mail/$user/new/ will make
> procmail attempt to deliver to /var/mail/$user/new/new/

You're right. Knowledge of maildir! I forgot that mailboxes are created
on the fly, at least they are in my Alpine app.

--
Bob Holtzman
check the price of the beer"

Old 11-17-2008, 06:50 PM
Linda

Robert Holtzman wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Nov 2008, Christopher Chan wrote:
>

>> Robert Holtzman wrote:

>>> Since .procmailrc states:
>>>
>>> # Messages that fall through all your procmail recipes are delivered
>>> # to your default INBOX. To find out yours, run 'procmail -v'
>>>
>>> I would assume that using /var/mail/$USER/ as default would assure mail
>>> never gets delivered to /var/mail/$USER/new/. What am I missing?
>>>

>> Knowledge of maildir? Setting DEFAULT to /var/mail/$user/new/ will make
>> procmail attempt to deliver to /var/mail/$user/new/new/
>>

> You're right. Knowledge of maildir! I forgot that mailboxes are created
> on the fly, at least they are in my Alpine app.

I've tried all the suggestions but nothing is working. I have everything
as simple as possible to try to get it working before I move forward. I
suspect the problem is that maybe the .procmailrc is not really being
consulted. At first I thought it must be since I could change from mbox
to maildir. However it seems if /var/mail/$USER is there fetchmail
places the messages in maildir form even without the .procmailrc in place

Here is what I have for .fetchmailrc

poll isp.address protocol POP3 user username with password userpassword
mda "procmail -d username"
fetchall

So is something in this the cause of the problem?
Thanks
Linda

Old 11-17-2008, 09:00 PM
Robert Holtzman

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008, Linda wrote:

> Robert Holtzman wrote:

>>> Knowledge of maildir? Setting DEFAULT to /var/mail/$user/new/ will make
>>> procmail attempt to deliver to /var/mail/$user/new/new/
>>>

>> You're right. Knowledge of maildir! I forgot that mailboxes are created
>> on the fly, at least they are in my Alpine app.
>>

> I've tried all the suggestions but nothing is working. I have everything
> as simple as possible to try to get it working before I move forward. I
> suspect the problem is that maybe the .procmailrc is not really being
> consulted. At first I thought it must be since I could change from mbox
> to maildir. However it seems if /var/mail/$USER is there fetchmail
> places the messages in maildir form even without the .procmailrc in place
>
> Here is what I have for .fetchmailrc
>
> poll isp.address protocol POP3 user username with password userpassword
> mda "procmail -d username"
> fetchall

In my .fetchmailrc file I have: mda "/usr/bin/procmail -f -" *with* the
quotes.

--
Bob Holtzman
To enjoy life take big bites. Moderation is for monks.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:38 PM
Christopher Chan

Robert Holtzman wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Nov 2008, Christopher Chan wrote:
>
>> Robert Holtzman wrote:

>>> Since .procmailrc states:
>>>
>>> # Messages that fall through all your procmail recipes are delivered
>>> # to your default INBOX. To find out yours, run 'procmail -v'
>>>
>>> I would assume that using /var/mail/$USER/ as default would assure mail
>>> never gets delivered to /var/mail/$USER/new/. What am I missing?
>>>
>> Knowledge of maildir? Setting DEFAULT to /var/mail/$user/new/ will make
>> procmail attempt to deliver to /var/mail/$user/new/new/
>
> You're right. Knowledge of maildir! I forgot that mailboxes are created
> on the fly, at least they are in my Alpine app.

Well my excuse would be that I have not touched procmail in years (last
version, patched 3.15 or something) and nor did I know that it created
maildirs automatically. I do not use this resource sucking delivery agent.

I only pointed out that the recipe does not look like it would do what
seemed to be intended by the MAILDIR variable. I am not about to start
guessing whether there are correct permissions set or whatever when the
OP could very well find that out from the logs.