Old 11-18-2008, 08:33 AM
"Francisco Borges"

Default procmail question

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 8:50 PM, Linda <haniganwork@earthlink.net> wrote:

> You're right. Knowledge of maildir! I forgot that mailboxes are created

> on the fly, at least they are in my Alpine app.

I've tried all the suggestions but nothing is working. I have everything

as simple as possible to try to get it working before I move forward. I

suspect the problem is that maybe the .procmailrc is not really being

consulted. At first I thought it must be since I coduld change from mbox

to maildir. However it seems if /var/mail/$USER is there fetchmail

places the messages in maildir form even without the .procmailrc in place

Here is what I have for .fetchmailrc

poll isp.address protocol POP3 user username with password userpassword

mda "procmail -d username"

fetchall

So is something in this the cause of the problem?
I haven't had to work directly with procmail in years. The hints I would give you are:

- Consider using maildrop. While I haven't used myself, it seems like a reasonable alternative to procmail's madness.

- Use fetchmail's logging ("--logfile <filename> ") to discover what is going on with fetchmail.

If using procmail:

- Do create the maildir sub-dirs yourself, the person who said these are created for you seemed to be talking about *Alpine*. AFAIK procmail does not create the maildir sub-dirs.

- Check the permissions of the .procmailrc file, if the file is deemed insecure, it won't be used.

- Go to this page: http://lipas.uwasa.fi/~ts/info/proctips.html this is
the best page of procmail tips there is. There you'll find a shell script to
test your procmailrc file
http://lipas.uwasa.fi/~ts/info/proctips.html#testbench if you are
really going to use procmail, you'll need something like this.

- Get procmail to log what it does as well. Timo's page should show you how to do that.

HTH,
--
Francisco

Old 11-18-2008, 07:16 PM
Linda

Francisco Borges wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 8:50 PM, Linda <haniganwork@earthlink.net
> <mailto:haniganwork@earthlink.net>> wrote:
>

> > You're right. Knowledge of maildir! I forgot that mailboxes are
> created
> > on the fly, at least they are in my Alpine app.
> >

> I've tried all the suggestions but nothing is working. I have
> everything
> as simple as possible to try to get it working before I move
> forward. I
> suspect the problem is that maybe the .procmailrc is not really being
> consulted. At first I thought it must be since I coduld change
> from mbox
> to maildir. However it seems if /var/mail/$USER is there fetchmail
> places the messages in maildir form even without the .procmailrc
> in place
>
> Here is what I have for .fetchmailrc
>
> poll isp.address protocol POP3 user username with password
> userpassword
> mda "procmail -d username"
> fetchall
>
> So is something in this the cause of the problem?
>

> I haven't had to work directly with procmail in years. The hints I
> would give you are:
>
> - Consider using maildrop. While I haven't used myself, it seems like
> a reasonable alternative to procmail's madness.
>
> - Use fetchmail's logging ("--logfile <filename> ") to discover what
> is going on with fetchmail.
>
> If using procmail:
>
> - Do create the maildir sub-dirs yourself, the person who said these
> are created for you seemed to be talking about *Alpine*. AFAIK
> procmail does not create the maildir sub-dirs.
>
> - Check the permissions of the .procmailrc file, if the file is deemed
> insecure, it won't be used.
>
> - Go to this page: http://lipas.uwasa.fi/~ts/info/proctips.html
> <http://lipas.uwasa.fi/%7Ets/info/proctips.html> this is the best page
> of procmail tips there is. There you'll find a shell script to test
> your procmailrc file
> http://lipas.uwasa.fi/~ts/info/proctips.html#testbench
> <http://lipas.uwasa.fi/%7Ets/info/proctips.html#testbench> if you are
> really going to use procmail, you'll need something like this.
>
> - Get procmail to log what it does as well. Timo's page should show
> you how to do that.
>
> HTH,
> --
> Francisco
Thanks the links look helpful. I decided to try using $HOME/Mail/new as
the default directory in .procmailrc and it works I guess I will quit
fighting it and use $HOME/Mail instead of /var/mail/$USER, it doesn't
really matter. Now I'll play with some of the procmail recipes. I used
to use procmail combined with pine and fetchmail when I ran Red Hat on
my machines so I thought I would stick to it, but if it keeps being this
crazy I may try maildrop.
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions
Linda

Old 11-19-2008, 03:20 AM
Christopher Chan

Linda wrote:
> Francisco Borges wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 8:50 PM, Linda <haniganwork@earthlink.net
>> <mailto:haniganwork@earthlink.net>> wrote:
>>

>> > You're right. Knowledge of maildir! I forgot that mailboxes are
>> created
>> > on the fly, at least they are in my Alpine app.
>> >

>> I've tried all the suggestions but nothing is working. I have
>> everything
>> as simple as possible to try to get it working before I move
>> forward. I
>> suspect the problem is that maybe the .procmailrc is not really being
>> consulted. At first I thought it must be since I coduld change
>> from mbox
>> to maildir. However it seems if /var/mail/$USER is there fetchmail
>> places the messages in maildir form even without the .procmailrc
>> in place
>>
>> Here is what I have for .fetchmailrc
>>
>> poll isp.address protocol POP3 user username with password
>> userpassword
>> mda "procmail -d username"
>> fetchall
>>
>> So is something in this the cause of the problem?
>>

>> I haven't had to work directly with procmail in years. The hints I
>> would give you are:
>>
>> - Consider using maildrop. While I haven't used myself, it seems like
>> a reasonable alternative to procmail's madness.
>>
>> - Use fetchmail's logging ("--logfile <filename> ") to discover what
>> is going on with fetchmail.
>>
>> If using procmail:
>>
>> - Do create the maildir sub-dirs yourself, the person who said these
>> are created for you seemed to be talking about *Alpine*. AFAIK
>> procmail does not create the maildir sub-dirs.
>>
>> - Check the permissions of the .procmailrc file, if the file is deemed
>> insecure, it won't be used.
>>
>> - Go to this page: http://lipas.uwasa.fi/~ts/info/proctips.html
>> <http://lipas.uwasa.fi/%7Ets/info/proctips.html> this is the best page
>> of procmail tips there is. There you'll find a shell script to test
>> your procmailrc file
>> http://lipas.uwasa.fi/~ts/info/proctips.html#testbench
>> <http://lipas.uwasa.fi/%7Ets/info/proctips.html#testbench> if you are
>> really going to use procmail, you'll need something like this.
>>
>> - Get procmail to log what it does as well. Timo's page should show
>> you how to do that.
>>
>> HTH,
>> --
>> Francisco
> Thanks the links look helpful. I decided to try using $HOME/Mail/new as

If there is no trailing slash, that becomes mbox format.

> the default directory in .procmailrc and it works I guess I will quit
> fighting it and use $HOME/Mail instead of /var/mail/$USER, it doesn't
> really matter. Now I'll play with some of the procmail recipes. I used
> to use procmail combined with pine and fetchmail when I ran Red Hat on
> my machines so I thought I would stick to it, but if it keeps being this
> crazy I may try maildrop.

Now that I think of it...you cannot use /var/mail/$USER/ if there is a
/var/mail/$USER mbox file in place. Then there is the question of
whether procmail is run with the necessary uid to create /var/mail/$USER/.

procmail can created maildirs on the fly...if those are specified in the
recipe and procmail has the permissions. So if you wanted the maildirs
in /var/mail...maybe you best precreate them and assign them the
necessary owners/permissions.