Old 11-13-2008, 01:43 AM
Bill Taylor

Default Intrepid problem

Old 11-13-2008, 03:51 AM
Steven Davies-Morris

Bill Taylor wrote:

> I downloaded the i386 image to upgrade my dual core AMD that is running
> Hardy, i386. I wrote the image to disk and put in to my running
> computer and chose Upgrade. When I uname -r it reports that I'm running
> 2.6.24-19 and when I boot the menu lists Hardy with kernel 2.6.24-19.
> The system Monitor reports that I am running Intrepid with the older
> kernel. When I attempt to upgrade my xVM VirtualBox I'm ibnformed there
> is a kernel error and it seems to be searching for the kernel I should
> be running but I am not.

You need to upgrade the kernel to the latest 2.6.27.x version. In
Synaptic look for linux-image-2.6.27 and associated files. Then do
the vBox upgrade to 2.0.4.
NP: nothing

Old 11-13-2008, 04:40 AM
Bill Taylor

Old 11-13-2008, 05:17 AM
Steven Davies-Morris

Bill Taylor wrote:

> You need to upgrade the kernel to the latest 2.6.27.x version. In
> Synaptic look for linux-image-2.6.27 and associated files. Then do
> the vBox upgrade to 2.0.4.
>
> Cheers, SDM
> - ------------
> Steven, sudo update-grub returns;
>
> Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
> Searching for default file ... found: /boot/grub/default
> Testing for an existing GRUB menu.lst file ... found: /boot/grub/menu.lst
> Searching for splash image ... none found, skipping ...
> Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic
> Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-19-generic
> Found kernel: /boot/memtest86+.bin
> Updating /boot/grub/menu.lst ... done
>
> but when rebooted it is not there.

Ooooh. Not nice. Have you tried a recovery boot and told it to fix
broken packages? Or you could boot of the 2.6.24-19 kernel, then go
into Synaptic and uninstall the 2.6.27-7 kernel. Then reinstall it.
Or alternatively go to a shell and use apt-get to remove and then do
a reinstall of the 2.6.27-7 kernel. Or wait until somebody here that
knows a lot more than I do suggests something else.
NP: nothing

Old 11-13-2008, 05:40 AM
Ray Parrish

I'm a compete noob, and even I know all he has to do now is edit the
menu.lst file to add the new kernel to one of the boot options. I had
the same thing happen to me when Hardy updated it's kernel but didn't
update grub to point at the new one.

gksu gedit & will open your editor in administrative mode so you can
open and edit the menu.lst file.

Later, Ray Parrish

Steven Davies-Morris wrote:
> Bill Taylor wrote:

>> You need to upgrade the kernel to the latest 2.6.27.x version. In
>> Synaptic look for linux-image-2.6.27 and associated files. Then do
>> the vBox upgrade to 2.0.4.
>>
>> Cheers, SDM
>> - ------------
>> Steven, sudo update-grub returns;
>>
>> Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
>> Searching for default file ... found: /boot/grub/default
>> Testing for an existing GRUB menu.lst file ... found: /boot/grub/menu.lst
>> Searching for splash image ... none found, skipping ...
>> Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic
>> Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-19-generic
>> Found kernel: /boot/memtest86+.bin
>> Updating /boot/grub/menu.lst ... done
>>
>> but when rebooted it is not there.
>>

> Ooooh. Not nice. Have you tried a recovery boot and told it to fix
> broken packages? Or you could boot of the 2.6.24-19 kernel, then go
> into Synaptic and uninstall the 2.6.27-7 kernel. Then reinstall it.
> Or alternatively go to a shell and use apt-get to remove and then do
> a reinstall of the 2.6.27-7 kernel. Or wait until somebody here that
> knows a lot more than I do suggests something else.

Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows

Old 11-13-2008, 01:35 PM
Derek Broughton

Bill Taylor wrote:

> Steven, sudo update-grub returns;
>
> Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
> Searching for default file ... found: /boot/grub/default
> Testing for an existing GRUB menu.lst file ... found:
> /boot/grub/menu.lst Searching for splash image ... none found,
> skipping ... Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic
> Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-19-generic
> Found kernel: /boot/memtest86+.bin
> Updating /boot/grub/menu.lst ... done
>
> but when rebooted it is not there.

Did you check /boot/grub/menu.lst immediately after running update-grub?
Two possibilities come to mind - neither very likely :-(

Either, /boot/grub/menu.lst is unwriteable (for a number of possible
reasons) - so try manually adding a comment line.

Or, if it looks correct after running update-grub, then grub is actually
looking for a menu.lst file on a different partition (which would require
running grub-install).

Did you, at some point, switch to or from a separate boot partition?
--
derek

Old 11-13-2008, 05:13 PM
Bill Taylor

Old 11-13-2008, 05:24 PM
Bill Taylor

Old 11-13-2008, 05:34 PM
Bill Taylor

## ## End Default Options ##

Sorry if I've missed something as I've not followed this thread closely.
However, you should only have to do:

sudo update-grub to add any missing kernels that has been installed
correctly on the version you are running. My output of the command
includes all the kernels installed on Hardy as below:
I ran the command once again and the output to menu.lst is as follows;

title Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-19-generic
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-19-generic
root=UUID=d0357aa7-0f56-456b-8ce9-2b6fe6d8e429 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic
quiet

title Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-19-generic (recovery mode)
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-19-generic
root=UUID=d0357aa7-0f56-456b-8ce9-2b6fe6d8e429 ro single
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

# This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the Debian
# ones.
title Other operating systems:
root

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
# on /dev/sda1
title Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
root (hd0,0)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader +1

title Ubuntu 8.04.1, memtest86+
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
quiet

I honestly feel that if I knew the proper syntax for the entry I would
type it in and it would fix the problem.
- --
Bond servant,
Bill Taylor
Killer Spade 806 CE