Old 11-12-2008, 10:06 PM
Karl Larsen

Default WiFi types

I have a windows that found the WiFi from my Belcon 54G source. It
works and it says this:

Security Type WPA-Personal
Encription Type TKIP

The password is simple.

On Ubuntu Hardy I can find neither WPA or TKIP as choices on their
WiFi setup page.

The actual hardware for WiFi is an Atheros Com Inc. AR242x which seems
to be very popular on Lap Tops.

Has anyone got a way to change the Ubuntu setup to use the actual
method used by Windows? Since it works I would like to use it :-)

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-13-2008, 09:31 AM
"Diogo Böhm"

Well, if you get into network manager, it lists WEP, LEAP, personal WPA & WPA2 and enterprise WPA & WPA2. TKIP is basically talking, a 128 bits WEP, which Ubuntu supports.

Are you sure you looked at the right place? I've seen this working since... 7.10? Although I only used 64-WEP, those other protocols might work aswell.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:19 PM
Karl Larsen

Diogo Böhm wrote:
> Well, if you get into network manager, it lists WEP, LEAP, personal WPA &
> WPA2 and enterprise WPA & WPA2. TKIP is basically talking, a 128 bits WEP,
> which Ubuntu supports.
>
> Are you sure you looked at the right place? I've seen this working since...
> 7.10? Although I only used 64-WEP, those other protocols might work aswell.

Well I think maybe I have never found Network Manager. What I have
done is click on the two little computers and it says it can detect a
802.1 Protected Wired Network and if I click on that I get a panel that
does not include WPA - Personal.

Can someone explain How to get to Network Manager? I looked at all
the Network GUI things and even put it into a terminal but no joy :-)

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-13-2008, 12:43 PM
Knapp

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 2:19 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:
> Diogo Böhm wrote:
>> Well, if you get into network manager, it lists WEP, LEAP, personal WPA &
>> WPA2 and enterprise WPA & WPA2. TKIP is basically talking, a 128 bits WEP,
>> which Ubuntu supports.
>>
>> Are you sure you looked at the right place? I've seen this working since...
>> 7.10? Although I only used 64-WEP, those other protocols might work aswell.
>>

> Well I think maybe I have never found Network Manager. What I have
> done is click on the two little computers and it says it can detect a
> 802.1 Protected Wired Network and if I click on that I get a panel that
> does not include WPA - Personal.
>
> Can someone explain How to get to Network Manager? I looked at all
> the Network GUI things and even put it into a terminal but no joy :-)
>

> Karl

I might be wrong because I use KDE but did you try right clicking it?
This is the key to a lot of stuff like that.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Old 11-13-2008, 12:53 PM
Karl Larsen

Knapp wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 2:19 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:
>
>> Diogo Böhm wrote:
>>
>>> Well, if you get into network manager, it lists WEP, LEAP, personal WPA &
>>> WPA2 and enterprise WPA & WPA2. TKIP is basically talking, a 128 bits WEP,
>>> which Ubuntu supports.
>>>
>>> Are you sure you looked at the right place? I've seen this working since...
>>> 7.10? Although I only used 64-WEP, those other protocols might work aswell.
>>>

>> Well I think maybe I have never found Network Manager. What I have
>> done is click on the two little computers and it says it can detect a
>> 802.1 Protected Wired Network and if I click on that I get a panel that
>> does not include WPA - Personal.
>>
>> Can someone explain How to get to Network Manager? I looked at all
>> the Network GUI things and even put it into a terminal but no joy :-)
>>

>> Karl
>>

> I might be wrong because I use KDE but did you try right clicking it?
> This is the key to a lot of stuff like that.

I get a lot of information about the wired connection :-)

In fact I can turn off the wired connection. There is a panel that comes
up if you click on "Edit Wireless Connections" but I do not now HAVE a
Wireless connection.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-14-2008, 03:42 AM
Ray Parrish

On my Ubuntu Hardy all I have to do is click the two little computers,
and select "Manual Configuration" from the drop down menu.

Later, Ray Parrish

Knapp wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 2:19 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:
>
>> Diogo Böhm wrote:
>>
>>> Well, if you get into network manager, it lists WEP, LEAP, personal WPA &
>>> WPA2 and enterprise WPA & WPA2. TKIP is basically talking, a 128 bits WEP,
>>> which Ubuntu supports.
>>>
>>> Are you sure you looked at the right place? I've seen this working since...
>>> 7.10? Although I only used 64-WEP, those other protocols might work aswell.
>>>

>> Well I think maybe I have never found Network Manager. What I have
>> done is click on the two little computers and it says it can detect a
>> 802.1 Protected Wired Network and if I click on that I get a panel that
>> does not include WPA - Personal.
>>
>> Can someone explain How to get to Network Manager? I looked at all
>> the Network GUI things and even put it into a terminal but no joy :-)
>>

>> Karl
>>

> I might be wrong because I use KDE but did you try right clicking it?
> This is the key to a lot of stuff like that.

Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows