Old 11-12-2008, 07:06 PM
"Allen Meyers"

Default Boot sequence

What must one do when xp is sda1 and you are about to install 2 additional linux OS to a pre existing* partition and you want XP hda1 to be last in the boot sequence.
Below is how it looks now and I will make any suggested changes as long as the outcome is XP last.
For those wondering I am not a nut I have very valid reason.
*
hda1 NTFS
hda2*** (intended for linus OS)
hda3 swap
hda4** (intended Linux OS}
Thanks in advance

Allen Meyers
texas.chef94@gmail.com

Old 11-12-2008, 08:15 PM
"Allan Xavier Aguilar Castillo"

**** °Hello there! I am having trouble trying to undenstard you... Do you mean in the GRUB menu? If this is the case, you just have to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst.
--
Allan Xavier Aguilar Castillo

Comunidad de GNU y de Linux
pokerom84@gmail.com

Old 11-12-2008, 09:36 PM
"Paige Thompson"

For future reference, if you like to have various linux operating systems on the same harddrive its easier to manage if you use lvm. I accomplished this with ubuntu desktop by booting a ubuntu thumb drive, apt-get installing lvm2 then insmod something (forget what) from /lib/modules/linux/drivers/md/ then vgchange -a y to detect volume groups, then installing to the logical volume that I wanted to install to using the ubuntu installer (manually selected the partition to install to) then after it was installed chrooted into the new install and apt get installed lvm2 (installing this package automatically updates your initramfs too.) Oh and by the way before I installed ubuntu to the logical volume I had to resize other volumes to make free space, be sure to resize the filesystem before resizing the logical volume, and I backed up my grub.conf and merged the changes with the grub.conf that ubuntu installed (my two linux installs use the same boot partition because the boot partition should be an actual physical partition-- I don't think grub supports lvm.)

Here's my part layout

/dev/hda1 boot

/dev/hda2 linux lvm

/dev/system/root gentoo root

/dev/system/ubuntu ubuntu /

Since you use windows you'd want to make /boot hda2

It really is a shame that ubuntu desktop doesn't support lvm this wasn't exactly difficult for me but god what a pain.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:09 AM
Derek Broughton

Allan Xavier Aguilar Castillo wrote:

> On 11/12/2008, Allen Meyers <texas.chef94@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> What must one do when xp is sda1 and you are about to install 2
>> additional
>> linux OS to a pre existing partition and you want XP hda1 to be last
>> in the boot sequence.
>> Below is how it looks now and I will make any suggested changes as
>> long as the outcome is XP last.
>> For those wondering I am not a nut I have very valid reason.
>>
>> hda1 NTFS
>> hda2 (intended for linus OS)
>> hda3 swap
>> hda4 (intended Linux OS}
>> Thanks in advance
>>
> ¬°Hello there! I am having trouble trying to undenstard you... Do
> you
> mean in the GRUB menu? If this is the case, you just have to edit
> /boot/grub/menu.lst.

As Allan says, just edit the menu.lst - nobody thinks you're a nut for
wanting Windows last :-)

fwiw, it appears you haven't actually installed Linux yet. If you
install Ubuntu after Windows it will set itself up to be first on the
boot menu, then Windows. ime (though limited) it usually finds other
Linux distros too, and they may be placed before or after Windows. In
any case, I'd install Windows, then the "other" linux distro, then
Ubuntu and edit menu.lst if required.
--
derek

Old 11-13-2008, 02:12 AM
Derek Broughton

Paige Thompson wrote:

> It really is a shame that ubuntu desktop doesn't support lvm this
> wasn't exactly difficult for me but god what a pain.

Sure it does - I've been using it for years. Do you mean you wish there
was a GUI configurator?
--
derek

Old 11-13-2008, 03:00 AM
"Allen Meyers"

To all who contributed to my concerns about booting sequence I offer my heartfelt thanks and appreciation. Believe it or not Ubuntu resides first in my boot sequence, Mepis second and Xp third. As I think it was Derek who pointed out that if ubuntu was installed next after windows that windows would go down one and so it was with Mepis as well. So my concern was for nothing, but it is part of this Linux adventure. Ubuntu will remain my # 1 and Mepis will be replaced and that replacement will be replaced as well. Its all part of this adventure. This is a great group, a great resource and I am fortunate to have chosen ubuntu first to explore. Again thank you all

Allen

Old 11-14-2008, 01:50 PM
Derek Broughton

Paige's comments on lvm led me further down the road...

Paige Thompson wrote:

> (my two linux installs use
> the same boot partition because the boot partition should be an actual
> physical partition-- I don't think grub supports lvm.)

aiui, grub can boot off an LVM, but it was too much for me. I don't even
have / on the lvm.

> It really is a shame that ubuntu desktop doesn't support lvm this
> wasn't exactly difficult for me but god what a pain.

I'm still not sure what that means, but I went looking for tools (it
seemed like a good time to update my LVM, anyway, since I have two ex-
windows partitions that should be incorporated).

I'm trying out kvpm, now, but there's system-config-lvm for gnome. So,
yes, the desktop supports LVM.
--
derek