-   -   How to show hidden files/directories in Firefox file chooser? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/192306-how-show-hidden-files-directories-firefox-file-chooser.html)

Chris G 11-12-2008 04:01 PM

How to show hidden files/directories in Firefox file chooser?

How do you get to see hidden files in the Firefox 3.x file chooser?

This is a really silly default (not showing hidden files) particularly
when importing bookmarks as bookmarks are almost inevitably below a
hidden directory!

--
Chris Green

Mario Vukelic 11-12-2008 04:10 PM

On Wed, 2008-11-12 at 17:01 +0000, Chris G wrote:
> How do you get to see hidden files in the Firefox 3.x file chooser?

Rightclick the file list or type a dot into the locations bar.

> This is a really silly default (not showing hidden files) particularly
> when importing bookmarks as bookmarks are almost inevitably below a
> hidden directory!

Dunno, seems perfectly logical to me

Mario Vukelic 11-12-2008 04:12 PM

How to show hidden files/directories in Firefox file chooser?

On Wed, 2008-11-12 at 17:01 +0000, Chris G wrote:
> How do you get to see hidden files in the Firefox 3.x file chooser?

In addition to my other reply just now, there is a third one:
Type a dot in the location bar and press the Tab key. Pressing tab after
entering an incomplete filename (or command) has been standard behavior
for decades and is really helpful also in other situations (also works
in the command line shell)

Chris G 11-12-2008 04:27 PM

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 06:10:15PM +0100, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-11-12 at 17:01 +0000, Chris G wrote:
> > How do you get to see hidden files in the Firefox 3.x file chooser?
>
> Rightclick the file list or type a dot into the locations bar.

Ah, thank you! :-)

> > This is a really silly default (not showing hidden files) particularly
> > when importing bookmarks as bookmarks are almost inevitably below a
> > hidden directory!
>
> Dunno, seems perfectly logical to me

It always used to be a visible option didn't it?

--
Chris Green

Mario Vukelic 11-12-2008 04:38 PM

On Wed, 2008-11-12 at 17:27 +0000, Chris G wrote:
> It always used to be a visible option didn't it?

Was it? I can't really remember, but don't think so. It is a visible
option in file manager windows (under view).

One more: you can press Ctrl+H, too