Old 11-12-2008, 03:54 PM
Bill Taylor

Default xVM VirtualBox & Intrepid

I have copied mny string from the Ubuntu Forums and included the read
out. I just am lost to resolve this issue and I understand that it is
likely mo own fault.

xVM VirtualBox
I made the mistake of upgrading to 8.10 and I can no longer use my XP
Virtual box.When I go Apps.>System Tools>Sun xVM VirtualBox>Start it
tells me VirtualBox kernal driver not installed. Is there any way to fix
this?

Re: xVM VirtualBox
Upgrading to 8.10 was no mistake, my friend. This is a simple
incompatibility issue that is easy to resolve. There are two ways:

First and foremost, I would be sure to download and (re)install the
latest version of Virtualbox, ver 2.0.4, as it has been improved for use
with Intrepid. During the (re)install it will remove any old kernel
modules and compile a new one for you, automatically.

Secondly, in the event that you cannot, or choose not to (re)install the
latest version, you may simply open up the terminal application and
enter the following:
Code:

sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

The kernel module could take a few minutes to recompile, depending on
your system specs, so be patient. Once it's finished, you should have a
fully functioning VirtualBox... Wooowhoooo! Enjoy
__________________

Re: xVM VirtualBox
I went to the terminal and pasted thecommand line and recieved a message
to check the log. The log reads as follows;
Quote:
Attempting to install using DKMS
info: No menu item ` removing old DKMS module vboxdrv version ' in node
`(dir)Top'.

Error! Invalid number of parameters passed.
Usage: remove -m <module> -v <module-version> --all
or: remove -m <module> -v <module-version> -k <kernel-version>

- ------------------------------
Deleting module version: 1.6.2
completely from the DKMS tree.
- ------------------------------
Done.

Creating symlink /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/1.6.2/source ->
/usr/src/vboxdrv-1.6.2

DKMS: add Completed.

Error! Your kernel source for kernel 2.6.24-19-generic cannot be found at
/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/build or
/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/source.
You can use the --kernelsourcedir option to tell DKMS where it's located.
Failed to install using DKMS, attempting to install without
Makefile:127: *** Error: unable to find the sources of your current
Linux kernel. Specify KERN_DIR=<directory> and run Make again. Stop.
I will next go to Sun and see if I can find the latest version for Intrepid.

Re: xVM VirtualBox
I went to Sun/Downloads and elected to install using gdebi package
installer and recieved the following;

Quote:
VirtualBox will not start until this problem is fixed. Please consult
/var/log/vbox-install.log to find out why the kernel module does not
compile. Most probably the kernel sources were not found. Install them
(the package name is probably linux-headers-<version> whereby <version>
can be determined by 'uname -r') and execute

/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

as root.
I will ex4ecut the command in the terminal next.

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: xVM VirtualBox
I cut and pasted the command line and it returned;
I cut and pasted and returned the following;
Quote:
root@spare:/home/th1bill# /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
* Stopping VirtualBox kernel module * done.
* Recompiling VirtualBox kernel module
* Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong
Quote:
Attempting to install using DKMS
removing old DKMS module vboxdrv version

Error! Invalid number of parameters passed.
Usage: remove -m <module> -v <module-version> --all
or: remove -m <module> -v <module-version> -k <kernel-version>
removing old DKMS module vboxdrv version

Error! Invalid number of parameters passed.
Usage: remove -m <module> -v <module-version> --all
or: remove -m <module> -v <module-version> -k <kernel-version>

- ------------------------------
Deleting module version: 2.0.4
completely from the DKMS tree.
- ------------------------------
Done.

Creating symlink /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/2.0.4/source ->
/usr/src/vboxdrv-2.0.4

DKMS: add Completed.

Error! Your kernel source for kernel 2.6.24-19-generic cannot be found at
/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/build or
/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/source.
You can use the --kernelsourcedir option to tell DKMS where it's located.
Failed to install using DKMS, attempting to install without
Makefile:142: *** Error: unable to find the sources of your current
Linux kernel. Specify KERN_DIR=<directory> and run Make again. Stop.
It looks to me like I loaded Intrepid and somehow kept the old kernel. I
have no idea how to fix it either, being a newbie.
th1bill is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message Reply With Q
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Re: xVM VirtualBox
Run the following command from the terminal to find out what kernel you
are actually running:
Code:

uname -r

__________________

Re: xVM VirtualBox
2.6.24-19-generic

I do not know how that can be but that is the read out. I opened the
synaptio manager and found the latest kernal listed and I clicked it for
reinstall but no change.

Re: xVM VirtualBox
Since at start up I see Ubuntu 8.04 and the ....19 generac kernel and
since the Synaptic manager lists the headers for 2.6.27-7 is it possible
to just edit my grub menu and maybe fix this?
th1bill is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message Reply With

Re: xVM VirtualBox
I don't believe that's the proper way to go about this. Use synaptic to
(re)install these two packages:

linux-headers-generic
linux-image-generic
__________________
Skillllllz,
... You have a great sense of patients and I really do thank you for
hanging in here with me.
... Using Synaptic I did a fresh install on both packages and rebooted
before attempting tp install the latest version of xVM VBox but I still
get the same message and at the terminal, uname -r still returns the
wrong kernel.
- --

Old 11-12-2008, 05:50 PM
Derek Broughton

Bill Taylor wrote:

Please don't do this. If you _must_ copy a discussion from a web page,
it's your responsibility to format it in a way that makes sense.

> Error! Your kernel source for kernel 2.6.24-19-generic cannot be found
> at /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/build or
> /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/source.

Interesting, because that says you're trying to compile with a Hardy
kernel...

> I went to Sun/Downloads and elected to install using gdebi package
> installer and recieved the following;

Ugh. gdebi has always been unreliable for me, but you should have
mentioned _which_ VirtualBox you tried to install

> It looks to me like I loaded Intrepid and somehow kept the old kernel.

Reboot with the new kernel. It's right there in Grub . Installs don't
delete the old kernel, just in case you can't boot the new one for some
reason.

> ... Using Synaptic I did a fresh install on both packages and rebooted
> before attempting tp install the latest version of xVM VBox but I
> still get the same message and at the terminal, uname -r still returns
> the wrong kernel.

Grub contains a menu of available kernels - and for you to be booting
into 2.6.24 you have to be telling it to do so. Post your
/boot/grub/menu.lst.
--

derek

Old 11-12-2008, 06:49 PM
Bill Taylor

Old 11-13-2008, 02:19 AM
Derek Broughton

Bill Taylor wrote:

> Thanks Derek, here is my Grub menu.lst.
> ## ## End Default Options ##

OK, so there's definitely no 2.6.27 :-(

What does this do:

$ sudo update-grub
Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
Searching for default file ... found: /boot/grub/default
Testing for an existing GRUB menu.lst file ... found: /boot/grub/menu.lst
Searching for splash image ... none found, skipping ...
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic

If you don't see that "Found kernel" line for 2.6.27, there's your
problem (you don't actually have it installed). If you _do_, then you
should be able to immediately reboot into 2.6.27
--
derek

Old 11-13-2008, 04:29 AM
Bill Taylor

th1bill@spare:~$ sudo update-grub
[sudo] password for th1bill:
Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
Searching for default file ... found: /boot/grub/default
Testing for an existing GRUB menu.lst file ... found: /boot/grub/menu.lst
Searching for splash image ... none found, skipping ...
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-19-generic
Found kernel: /boot/memtest86+.bin
Updating /boot/grub/menu.lst ... done

As you can see, I did the update-grub and when I rebooted it was not
with the new kernel option. In /root I find /boot/abi-2.6.27-7-generic
but in /boot/grub/menu.lst it reads;

title Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-19-generic
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-19-generic
root=UUID=d0357aa7-0f56-456b-8ce9-2b6fe6d8e429 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic
quiet

title Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-19-generic (recovery mode)
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-19-generic
root=UUID=d0357aa7-0f56-456b-8ce9-2b6fe6d8e429 ro single
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

# This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the Debian
# ones.
title Other operating systems:
root

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
# on /dev/sda1
title Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
root (hd0,0)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader +1

title Ubuntu 8.04.1, memtest86+
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
quiet

- --
Bond servant,
Bill Taylor
Killer Spade 806 CE
1968-'69
Visit me @ Basic Christianity
http://th1ll.blogspot.com

Old 11-13-2008, 01:48 PM
Derek Broughton

Bill Taylor wrote:

> Thanks Derek, here is my Grub menu.lst.
> ## ## End Default Options ##

Sorry, I seem to have missed the obvious - was that REALLY the first
line? If so, no wonder update-grub doesn't work - you're missing ALL
of the important lines.

My menu.lst is attached. If you want to have the alternative boot
stanzas, change "# alternative=false" to "# alternative=true"
--
derek# menu.lst - See: grub(8), info grub, update-grub(8)
# grub-install(8), grub-floppy(8),

## default num
# Set the default entry to the entry number NUM. Numbering starts from 0, and
# the entry number 0 is the default if the command is not used.
#
# You can specify 'saved' instead of a number. In this case, the default entry
# is the entry saved with the command 'savedefault'.
# WARNING: If you are using dmraid do not change this entry to 'saved' or your
# array will desync and will not let you boot your system.
default saved

## timeout sec
# Set a timeout, in SEC seconds, before automatically booting the default entry
# (normally the first entry defined).
timeout 10

## hiddenmenu
# Hides the menu by default (press ESC to see the menu)
#hiddenmenu

# Pretty colours
#color cyan/blue white/blue

## password ['--md5'] passwd
# If used in the first section of a menu file, disable all interactive editing
# control (menu entry editor and command-line) and entries protected by the
# command 'lock'
# e.g. password topsecret
# password --md5 $1$gLhU0/$aW78kHK1QfV3P2b2znUoe/
# password topsecret

#
# examples
#
# title Windows 95/98/NT/2000
# root (hd0,0)
# makeactive
# chainloader +1
#
# title Linux
# root (hd0,1)
# kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 ro
#

#
# Put static boot stanzas before and/or after AUTOMAGIC KERNEL LIST

### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
## lines between the AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST markers will be modified
## by the debian update-grub script except for the default options below

## DO NOT UNCOMMENT THEM, Just edit them to your needs

## ## Start Default Options ##
## default kernel options
## default kernel options for automagic boot options
## If you want special options for specific kernels use kopt_x_y_z
## where x.y.z is kernel version. Minor versions can be omitted.
## e.g. kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro
## kopt_2_6_8=root=/dev/hdc1 ro
## kopt_2_6_8_2_686=root=/dev/hdc2 ro
# kopt=root=UUID=9ed67955-1660-41cc-bae1-be8277b3c626 ro

## default grub root device
## e.g. groot=(hd0,0)
# groot=(hd0,5)

## should update-grub create alternative automagic boot options
## e.g. alternative=true
## alternative=false
# alternative=false

## should update-grub lock alternative automagic boot options
## e.g. lockalternative=true
## lockalternative=false
# lockalternative=false

## additional options to use with the default boot option, but not with the
## alternatives
## e.g. defoptions=vga=791 resume=/dev/hda5
# defoptions=quiet splash

## should update-grub lock old automagic boot options
## e.g. lockold=false
## lockold=true
# lockold=false

## Xen hypervisor options to use with the default Xen boot option
# xenhopt=

## Xen Linux kernel options to use with the default Xen boot option
# xenkopt=console=tty0

## altoption boot targets option
## multiple altoptions lines are allowed
## e.g. altoptions=(extra menu suffix) extra boot options
## altoptions=(recovery) single
# altoptions=(recovery mode) single

## controls how many kernels should be put into the menu.lst
## only counts the first occurence of a kernel, not the
## alternative kernel options
## e.g. howmany=all
## howmany=7
# howmany=all

## should update-grub create memtest86 boot option
## e.g. memtest86=true
## memtest86=false
# memtest86=true

## should update-grub adjust the value of the default booted system
## can be true or false
# updatedefaultentry=false

## should update-grub add savedefault to the default options
## can be true or false
# savedefault=true

## ## End Default Options ##

title Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-7-generic
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic root=UUID=9ed67955-1660-41cc-bae1-be8277b3c626 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-7-generic
quiet
savedefault

title Ubuntu 8.10, memtest86+
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
quiet

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

# This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the Debian
# ones.
title Other operating systems:
root

# boot from external drive
title External drive (loader)
root (hd1)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader +1

title Gnome (Ubuntu 8.04), kernel 2.6.24-16-generic
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic root=UUID=b66d168a-9df1-422d-aa26-96a0c0b0831b ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-16-generic
quiet

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
# on /dev/sda1
#title Windows Vista/Longhorn (loader)
#root (hd0,0)
#savedefault
#makeactive
#chainloader +1

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
# on /dev/sda2
title HP restore partition (loader)
root (hd0,1)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader +1

Old 11-14-2008, 04:22 AM
Ray Parrish

Wouldn't he also have to remove the # [comment mark] from the beginning
of the line so the setting is actually used?

Later, Ray Parrish

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Bill Taylor wrote:

>> Thanks Derek, here is my Grub menu.lst.
>> ## ## End Default Options ##
>>

> Sorry, I seem to have missed the obvious - was that REALLY the first
> line? If so, no wonder update-grub doesn't work - you're missing ALL
> of the important lines.
>
> My menu.lst is attached. If you want to have the alternative boot
> stanzas, change "# alternative=false" to "# alternative=true"

Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows

Old 11-14-2008, 11:04 AM
Derek Broughton

Ray Parrish wrote:

> Wouldn't he also have to remove the # [comment mark] from the
> beginning of the line so the setting is actually used?

ABSOLUTELY NOT! All of those comments are vital. They're meta-commands
to update-grub, not parameters in the menu.lst.
--
derek