Old 11-12-2008, 01:14 PM
John Botscharow

Default Need help setting up OCR scanning with HP F2110 ScanJet

Because of vision issues, I used wite text on black background. I also,
for the same reason, need to be able to scan lots of printed texts -
books, magaize articles. I am currently using 8.04 on an HP Pavilioh
with lots of RAM, a 2.1 GHx AMD triple core processor and a 500 Gig HD,
sp space and power is not an issue. I have an HP F2110 ScanJet hooked to
this machine and it scans pics perfectly, but have real problems doing
OCR scanning. The onts don't work right I installed gocr but still have
problems I tried doing the scans as PDF files, but they come out black
text on white background which is very hard on my eyes. I installed the
medibuntu repository and installed acroread, which has preferences to
allow changing the color scheme, but that program says it cannot do that
with my scans. Any help in resolving this problem would be greatly
appreciated. I am willing to exchange telephone numbers with anyone in
the USA that can help, if that would make things easier.

Thanks!

John Botscharow

Old 11-12-2008, 06:30 PM
NoOp

On 11/12/2008 06:14 AM, John Botscharow wrote:
> Because of vision issues, I used wite text on black background. I also,
> for the same reason, need to be able to scan lots of printed texts -
> books, magaize articles. I am currently using 8.04 on an HP Pavilioh
> with lots of RAM, a 2.1 GHx AMD triple core processor and a 500 Gig HD,
> sp space and power is not an issue. I have an HP F2110 ScanJet hooked to
> this machine and it scans pics perfectly, but have real problems doing
> OCR scanning. The onts don't work right I installed gocr but still have
> problems I tried doing the scans as PDF files, but they come out black
> text on white background which is very hard on my eyes. I installed the
> medibuntu repository and installed acroread, which has preferences to
> allow changing the color scheme, but that program says it cannot do that
> with my scans. Any help in resolving this problem would be greatly
> appreciated. I am willing to exchange telephone numbers with anyone in
> the USA that can help, if that would make things easier.

John, I think that you might want to subscribe to the accessibility list
(https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-accessibility), see:

http://www.mail-archive.com/ubuntu-accessibility@lists.ubuntu.com/info.html

You'll find a great deal of help on that list with your accessibility
issues. An example of postings:

http://www.mail-archive.com/ubuntu-accessibility@lists.ubuntu.com/

There is also a section in the Ubuntu Forums dedicated to accessibility:
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=145
[Threads in Forum : Assistive Technology & Accessibility]

You of course are more than welcome here, not trying to run you off :-)
But you may find more help with your particular issues from the above.

Added note: if you can't find help there, then I'd be more than willing
to try and assist you off-list if you drop me a note directly.

That said; I think that the problem you are experiencing in Adobe Reader
is that your scans are images & AR accessibility features won't convert
the image to a negative. For that you'll need to use something like Gimp
to reverse the image first. I reckon that is why you are attempting to
use OCR instead?

You can of course open the pdf in Gimp and reverse the image, but that's
a pain to do + you can only do it one page at a time. So instead do this:

1. Open Gimp and then File|Aquire|Xsane|Device Dialog - then select your
HP scanner.

2. When Xsane opens, you'll have multiple setup boxes:

- number of pages
- flatbed
- color
- Full color range

Change the 'Full color range' to 'Standard Negative', and the 'Color' to
Monochrome if you have that option, and then 'Scan'. The image (I tested
on a letter from my bank telling me I'm broke :-) will then scan into
Gimp as a negative image. You can then easily use Colors|Desaturate in
Gimp to turn the print to flat white. Now, from there you can print to a
PDF using your cups-pdf printer. Again, it's a bit of a slow process,
but it is workable.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:11 PM
John Botscharow

Thanks for all the info, NoOp. That's alot to digest:-) but I will work
on doing so ths weekend. And, not to worry, I don't feel like ou are
trying to un me off this list LOL I was not even aware there is a list
strictly for accessibility issues, but since there is, maing that my
primary resource for help makes a lot of sense, so I willjoin that list
today. Sorry I am a little slow in showing my appreciation. Been a
couple razy days around here. and yesterday I spent a good three hours
downloading and installing 8.10, which raised some new issues, most of
which I figured out on my own, but one I will ask for help here later in
a new post. Again, thanks for the help. Very grateful. Will let you know
off-;ist how things turn out with the scanner issue.

Peace!

John

Old 11-15-2008, 01:15 AM
NoOp

On 11/14/2008 05:11 AM, John Botscharow wrote:
> Thanks for all the info, NoOp. That's alot to digest:-) but I will work
> on doing so ths weekend. And, not to worry, I don't feel like ou are
> trying to un me off this list LOL I was not even aware there is a list
> strictly for accessibility issues, but since there is, maing that my
> primary resource for help makes a lot of sense, so I willjoin that list
> today. Sorry I am a little slow in showing my appreciation. Been a
> couple razy days around here. and yesterday I spent a good three hours
> downloading and installing 8.10, which raised some new issues, most of
> which I figured out on my own, but one I will ask for help here later in
> a new post. Again, thanks for the help. Very grateful. Will let you know
> off-;ist how things turn out with the scanner issue.
>
> Peace!
>
> John

You are more than welcome. Can't help you with 8.10 (I won't install for
at least another week or more) so you'll need to ask on the list
regarding that version.