Old 11-12-2008, 12:49 PM
Chris Jeffries

Default MYSQL update

Hi
I am on Hardy Heron (do not want to be a guinea pig, I want to USE
Ubuntu rather than play with it). I just had an update of MySQL which
failed because it could not close MySQL. I presume that was because it
needed a password and did not have it.

Anyway, I closed it myself using

mysqladmin -uroot -p stop

(Respose was
root@chris-u:/etc/init.d# mysqladmin -uroot -p stop
Enter password:
Slave stopped
)

However, even having closed it the update would still not run.

I checked on the web for problems with MySQL updates and saw a bug
raised that might be the same problem, but no comment on it.

Has anyone else experienced/got around this?

The error message was:

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/mysql-server_5.0.51a-3ubuntu5.3_all.deb:
subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/mysql-server-5.0_5.0.51a-3ubuntu5.3_i386.deb:
subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 1

Old 11-12-2008, 12:51 PM
Chris Jeffries

Sorry. I overlooked to include the install log.....

Preconfiguring packages ...
(Reading database ... 156891 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace mysql-server 5.0.51a-3ubuntu5.1
(using .../mysql-server_5.0.51a-3ubuntu5.3_all.deb) ...
* Stopping MySQL database server mysqld
...fail!
invoke-rc.d: initscript mysql, action "stop" failed.
invoke-rc.d returned 1
There is a MySQL server running, but we failed in our attempts to stop
it.
Stop it yourself and try again!
dpkg: error
processing /var/cache/apt/archives/mysql-server_5.0.51a-3ubuntu5.3_all.deb (--unpack):
subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
dpkg: considering removing mysql-server in favour of
mysql-server-5.0 ...
dpkg: yes, will remove mysql-server in favour of mysql-server-5.0.
Preparing to replace mysql-server-5.0 5.0.51a-3ubuntu5.1
(using .../mysql-server-5.0_5.0.51a-3ubuntu5.3_i386.deb) ...
* Stopping MySQL database server mysqld
...fail!
invoke-rc.d: initscript mysql, action "stop" failed.
dpkg: warning - old pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
* Stopping MySQL database server mysqld
...fail!
invoke-rc.d: initscript mysql, action "stop" failed.
dpkg: error
processing /var/cache/apt/archives/mysql-server-5.0_5.0.51a-3ubuntu5.3_i386.deb (--unpack):
subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
* Stopping MySQL database server mysqld
...fail!
invoke-rc.d: initscript mysql, action "stop" failed.
* Starting MySQL database server mysqld
...done.
/usr/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user 'debian-sys-maint'@'localhost' (using
password: YES)'
/var/cache/apt/archives/mysql-server_5.0.51a-3ubuntu5.3_all.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/mysql-server-5.0_5.0.51a-3ubuntu5.3_i386.deb
A package failed to install. Trying to recover:

Old 11-12-2008, 09:54 PM
"Hal Burgiss"

I am on Hardy Heron (do not want to be a guinea pig, I want to USE

Ubuntu rather than play with it). I just had an update of MySQL which

failed because it could not close MySQL. I presume that was because it

needed a password and did not have it.
It almost sounds like the mysql system user is gone missing. Do you still have a mysql account like 'debian-sys-maint', and does it have the password it needs? Also, have you checked syslog for a better error message?

--
Hal

Old 11-13-2008, 01:13 PM
Chris Jeffries

On Thu, 2008-11-13 at 10:50 +0000, ubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com
wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 8:49 AM, Chris Jeffries <chris@candm.org.uk>
> wrote:
> Hi
> I am on Hardy Heron (do not want to be a guinea pig, I want to
> USE
> Ubuntu rather than play with it). I just had an update of
> MySQL which
> failed because it could not close MySQL. I presume that was
> because it
> needed a password and did not have it.
>
> It almost sounds like the mysql system user is gone missing. Do you
> still have a mysql account like 'debian-sys-maint', and does it have
> the password it needs? Also, have you checked syslog for a better
> error message?
>
> --
> Hal

Spot on. Thank you. I had hacked the user file to transfer users over
from a Windows system (not all that successfully) and trashed the debian
maint. user (I did not realise there was one) in the process.

Since I rarely use mysqladmin, I had also used the stop command instead
of the shutdown command. I shall really have to learn what I am doing
before doing it!!!

Chris.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:10 PM
Hal Burgiss

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 10:13:40PM +0800, Chris Jeffries wrote:

> > It almost sounds like the mysql system user is gone missing. Do you
> > still have a mysql account like 'debian-sys-maint', and does it have
> > the password it needs? Also, have you checked syslog for a better
> > error message?
>
> Spot on. Thank you. I had hacked the user file to transfer users
> over from a Windows system (not all that successfully) and trashed
> the debian maint. user (I did not realise there was one) in the
> process.
>
> Since I rarely use mysqladmin, I had also used the stop command
> instead of the shutdown command. I shall really have to learn what I
> am doing before doing it!!!

AFAIK, this is a debian convention. I learned mysql elsewhere and got
bit by this right off the bat with Ubuntu.

It is one serious gotcha about moving databases around from one system
to another.

--
Hal

Old 03-24-2009, 10:28 AM
Douglas Soares de Andrade

Hi guys,

Finnaly i took some time and updated mysql to testing. I did almost all the
needed rebuilds - i did not rebuilt dovecot as it needs the new libpcap, can
someone build it for me ? - Im also uploading mysql-gui-tools 5.0r14 for my
public page.

Thanks all =)

Old 03-24-2009, 10:32 AM
Pierre Schmitz

Am Dienstag, 24. März 2009 12:28:25 schrieb Douglas Soares de Andrade:
> Hi guys,
>
> Finnaly i took some time and updated mysql to testing. I did almost all the
> needed rebuilds - i did not rebuilt dovecot as it needs the new libpcap,
> can someone build it for me ? - Im also uploading mysql-gui-tools 5.0r14
> for my public page.
>
> Thanks all =)

Just a little question about this. You compiled with "--with-charset=latin1 --
with-collation=latin1_general_ci" Is there a reason for doing so? I wonder if
utf8 might be better but I am not sure if that would break compatibility.

--

Pierre Schmitz

Clemens-August-Straße 76
53115 Bonn

Telefon 0228 9716608
Mobil 0160 95269831
Jabber pierre@jabber.archlinux.de
WWW http://www.archlinux.de

Old 03-24-2009, 10:35 AM
Pierre Schmitz

Am Dienstag, 24. März 2009 12:32:34 schrieb Pierre Schmitz:
> Am Dienstag, 24. März 2009 12:28:25 schrieb Douglas Soares de Andrade:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > Finnaly i took some time and updated mysql to testing. I did almost all
> > the needed rebuilds - i did not rebuilt dovecot as it needs the new
> > libpcap, can someone build it for me ? - Im also uploading
> > mysql-gui-tools 5.0r14 for my public page.
> >
> > Thanks all =)
>
> Just a little question about this. You compiled with "--with-charset=latin1
> -- with-collation=latin1_general_ci" Is there a reason for doing so? I
> wonder if utf8 might be better but I am not sure if that would break
> compatibility.

Ah, and I forgot: Is it compatible with previous mysql? If not there are some
packages that have to be rebuild (qt, qt3, php and others).

Old 03-24-2009, 11:05 AM
Thomas Bächler

Douglas Soares de Andrade schrieb:
i did not rebuilt dovecot as it needs the new libpcap, can
someone build it for me ?

I cannot see a new libpcap. According to the homepage, libpcap 1.0.0 is
the most recent version.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:09 AM
Allan McRae

Thomas Bächler wrote:

Douglas Soares de Andrade schrieb:
i did not rebuilt dovecot as it needs the new libpcap, can someone
build it for me ?

I cannot see a new libpcap. According to the homepage, libpcap 1.0.0
is the most recent version.

I think he means libcap.

Allan