Old 11-12-2008, 09:56 AM
"Mace tex"

Default Problems with my Raid 1

Hello,

I've installed Ubuntu 8.10 for the first time native. I'm very happy with this desicion. But there is one problem with my raid 1. The controller bios shows it works, on windows it works too. But on Ubuntu I'm not able to get it running. I read many how2s about installing fakeraids on Ubuntu. After installing dmraid, i used this command:
RAID set "jmicron_GRaid" already active
RAID set "jmicron_GRaid1" already active

I found another command, that says the raid is broken ;(.Now I don't know what to do.Can anybody help me.

My System
Board: Gigabyte P35 DS3P
Raidcontroller: JMicron Technologies, Inc. JMicron 20360/20363

Please cc me since i am currently not subscribed to the list.Excuse me for my bad english!

_________________________________

LOVE@LYCOS ist jetzt ganz neu - melde dich kostenlos an, lerne neue Leute kennen und finde deinen Flirt!

Jetzt flirten!

Old 11-14-2008, 01:44 PM
"Mace tex"

Well, Ubuntu uses fakeraid terminology (sett https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FakeRaidHowto) As I wrote I set up a raid in my onboard raid-controller.

_________________________________

Old 11-14-2008, 03:22 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 9:30 PM, Paige Thompson <erratic@devel.ws> wrote:
> Dmraid is unknown to me, by fake raids are you referring to software raid
> and how is that fake? Alo I can help you setup mdadm if you like.

dmraid (fake raid) is used when a motherboard has an inexpensive
controller that uses the CPU and software to emulate a 'real' hardware
raid disk controller. It has a somewhat bad reputation (I have no
personal experience). I don't know of a good reason to use it,
unless you are dual booting with a Windows box and want to use the
same array for both.

Brian

Old 11-15-2008, 10:05 AM
Neil

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 5:22 PM, Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 9:30 PM, Paige Thompson <erratic@devel.ws> wrote:
>> Dmraid is unknown to me, by fake raids are you referring to software raid
>> and how is that fake? Alo I can help you setup mdadm if you like.
>
> dmraid (fake raid) is used when a motherboard has an inexpensive
> controller that uses the CPU and software to emulate a 'real' hardware
> raid disk controller. It has a somewhat bad reputation (I have no
> personal experience). I don't know of a good reason to use it,
> unless you are dual booting with a Windows box and want to use the
> same array for both.
>
> Brian

Hi

Or if you would like to boot from the raid. This is quite difficult in
soft raid, but relatively easy under fake raid. I have had it running
for a couple of years, no sweat, althought Ubuntu didn't like it back
then.

Neil

--
While working towards the future one should be ensuring that there is
a future to work to.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:32 AM
"Mace tex"

"
> dmraid (fake raid) is used when a motherboard has an inexpensive
> controller that uses the CPU and software to emulate a 'real' hardware
> raid disk controller. It has a somewhat bad reputation (I have no
> personal experience). I don't know of a good reason to use it,
> unless you are dual booting with a Windows box and want to use the
> same array for both.
>
> Brian"

That's correct.I'm using dualboot. But I installed ubuntu not on this raid1.
The raid 1 is only a storage drive. Ubuntu and Windows are on different drives.
I just want to use the raid in ubuntu also as a storage drive.

I'm using the onboard raid controller, because it's cheap.

_________________________________

Old 06-04-2010, 12:59 AM
Christopher Chan

On Friday, November 14, 2008 10:44 PM, Mace tex wrote:
> Well, Ubuntu uses fakeraid terminology (sett
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FakeRaidHowto) As I wrote I set up a
> raid in my onboard raid-controller.

And? What is the problem? Maybe you are better off using Linux software
raid instead for portability in future? You might want to think about
that one before spending the effort on getting whatever onboard raid you
have working.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:12 AM
Christopher Chan

On Friday, June 04, 2010 08:59 AM, Christopher Chan wrote:
> On Friday, November 14, 2008 10:44 PM, Mace tex wrote:
>> Well, Ubuntu uses fakeraid terminology (sett
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FakeRaidHowto) As I wrote I set up a
>> raid in my onboard raid-controller.
>
> And? What is the problem? Maybe you are better off using Linux software
> raid instead for portability in future? You might want to think about
> that one before spending the effort on getting whatever onboard raid you
> have working.

Sorry, sorting on thunderbird was changed and I responded to post from
over half a year ago. Sorry for the noise.