Old 11-12-2008, 09:30 AM
"Carl Friis-Hansen"

Default XFS data recovery

> So, a friend of mine did an accidental rm on ALL of /var on a system.
> We're wondering what our options are for getting that data back. He
> ctrl-Cd the deletion partway through when he realized what happened,
> and shut off the system. /var was its own partition, formatted as XFS
> on top of LVM2 spanning two drives. Each drive is 250GB, for 500GB
> total system capacity. /var was half of that, 250GB (but using both
> drives via LVM). Only about 500MB was used space. Ideas?
>
> --
> Tony Yarusso

Hi Tony,
As there is no undelete utility for the XFS file system and the actual
deletion has been taking partly place, my guess is that your only option
is to restore a backup :-(
--
---------=oOOo=---------
Carl Friis-Hansen

Old 11-12-2008, 12:11 PM
Eric F Crist

On Nov 12, 2008, at 3:52 AM, Tony Yarusso wrote:

> So, a friend of mine did an accidental rm on ALL of /var on a system.
> We're wondering what our options are for getting that data back. He
> ctrl-Cd the deletion partway through when he realized what happened,
> and shut off the system. /var was its own partition, formatted as XFS
> on top of LVM2 spanning two drives. Each drive is 250GB, for 500GB
> total system capacity. /var was half of that, 250GB (but using both
> drives via LVM). Only about 500MB was used space. Ideas?

If it were me, I'd just do a restore from my backups.
---
Eric Crist

Old 11-20-2008, 10:26 AM
"Amit Joshi"

So, a friend of mine did an accidental rm on ALL of /var on a system.

We're wondering what our options are for getting that data back. *He

ctrl-Cd the deletion partway through when he realized what happened,

and shut off the system. */var was its own partition, formatted as XFS

on top of LVM2 spanning two drives. *Each drive is 250GB, for 500GB

total system capacity. */var was half of that, 250GB (but using both

drives via LVM). *Only about 500MB was used space. *Ideas?
Have you installed xfsprogs?
There might be a very small chance of recovering your data (Even though you have deleted it, using rm). I think that on Linux file-systems, data is only overwritten (that sector of the hard disk is not zeroed until you expressly do it). Please look for a recovery process (search google) using xfsprogs. Might work. (You would care about this only if you don't have a backup -- cuz if you have one, you have an easier and a faster option).

Amit Joshi