Old 11-12-2008, 03:32 AM
"Anthony M. Rasat"

Default New Firefox Problem

> Today Firefox began exhibiting >some odd and unwanted >behavior. When it
>is started it completely fills the >screen, covering up the Gnome >Panels
>and its own Title Bar. Thus I am >unable to resize the Firefox >window or
>switch desktops with the chooser.
This sounds like maximus running. Did you tried Ubuntu Netbook Remix earlier?

To disable maximus from automatically running, uncheck tick mark over maximus in menu System > Preferences > Sessions.

Anthony M. Rasat
Manager - Technical, Network and Support Division
PT. Jawa Pos National Network
Graha Pena Jawa Pos Group Building, 5th floor
Jln. Raya Kebayoran Lama 12, Jakarta Barat 12210
Indonesia.-
Phone 02132185562
Phone 081574217035
Fax 02153651465
Web http://www.jpnn.com

Old 11-12-2008, 04:08 AM
Jim Smith

Anthony M. Rasat wrote:
>> Today Firefox began exhibiting >some odd and unwanted >behavior. When it
>> is started it completely fills the >screen, covering up the Gnome >Panels
>> and its own Title Bar. Thus I am >unable to resize the Firefox >window or
>> switch desktops with the chooser.
>>
> This sounds like maximus running. Did you tried Ubuntu Netbook Remix earlier?
>
> To disable maximus from automatically running, uncheck tick mark over maximus in menu System > Preferences > Sessions.

Did not exist when I checked. Thank you anyway, gave me something else
to look at.

Jim

--
Its only a hobby, only a hobby, only a hobby, only a ho............

Old 11-12-2008, 04:41 AM
Jim Smith

Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
> re:
>
> Today Firefox began exhibiting some odd and unwanted behavior. When it
> is started it completely fills the screen, covering up the Gnome Panels
> and its own Title Bar. Thus I am unable to resize the Firefox window or
> switch desktops with the chooser. (Or for that matter "spin the cube" by
> rolling the mouse wheel on a free portion of the desktop.) This is an
> aggravation as I am used to having more than one thing on separate
> desktops. This did not begin to occur until today after the latest round
> of updates, which included the newest 2.6.27-8-generic kernel.
>

> Please check these intructions taken from:
>
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6120769
>
> "How to fix it:
>
> 1- close any firefox instance you have opened.
> 2- go to /home/<your_user>/.mozilla/firefox/ (type CTRL+H to see hidden
> files and folders, you all know... ).
> 3- get into your "XXXX.default" directory.
> 4- search for a file called "localstore.rdf" and delete it."
>
> Regards,
>
> L.

That worked, hopefully the gurus will fix it soon. Thank you very much,
I didn't think I was all alone in this.

Jim

--
Its only a hobby, only a hobby, only a hobby, only a ho............

Old 11-13-2008, 07:49 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

Jim Smith wrote:
> Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
>
>> Jim Smith wrote:
>>
>>> That worked, hopefully the gurus will fix it soon. Thank you very much,
>>> I didn't think I was all alone in this.
>>>
>>> Jim
>>>
>> You are welcome, Jim.
>>
>> I find reassuring to know that in this environment, for good or evil,
>> we are not alone at all.
>>
>> L.
>>

> And that is appreciated by all of us who toil out here. Further
> reflections and experiments seem to indicate a possible cause of the
> problem of Firefox initializing in full screen mode. If you open with a
> saved tab that contains a lot of video material, such as YouTube it is
> very likely that you will get a full screen opening. I am running
> Intrepid with kernel 2.6.27-8-generic and Firefox 3.0.3.
>
> Thanks again
>
> Jim

I wasn't able to duplicate this here, with Hardy, Kernel
2.6.24-19-generic and Firefox 3.0.3. Full screen didn't return yet since
old localstore.rdf was deleted a couple of weeks ago. Probably Firefox
is to blame.

Regards,

L.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:36 AM
Jim Smith

Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:

> I wasn't able to duplicate this here, with Hardy, Kernel
> 2.6.24-19-generic and Firefox 3.0.3. Full screen didn't return yet since
> old localstore.rdf was deleted a couple of weeks ago. Probably Firefox
> is to blame.
>
> Regards,
>
> L.

You can look up bug #297484 on Launchpad, I opened it last night, we
shall see now.

Thanks

Jim

--
Its only a hobby, only a hobby, only a hobby, only a ho............

Old 11-14-2008, 02:00 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

Jim Smith wrote:
> Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
>
>> I wasn't able to duplicate this here, with Hardy, Kernel
>> 2.6.24-19-generic and Firefox 3.0.3. Full screen didn't return yet since
>> old localstore.rdf was deleted a couple of weeks ago. Probably Firefox
>> is to blame.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> L.
>>
> You can look up bug #297484 on Launchpad, I opened it last night, we
> shall see now.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jim

Jim,

Similar bugs were reported. I marked yours as a duplicate of Bug #276640.

Regards,

L.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:15 AM
Jim Smith

Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
> Jim Smith wrote:
>
>> Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
>>

>>> I wasn't able to duplicate this here, with Hardy, Kernel
>>> 2.6.24-19-generic and Firefox 3.0.3. Full screen didn't return yet since
>>> old localstore.rdf was deleted a couple of weeks ago. Probably Firefox
>>> is to blame.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> L.
>>>

>> You can look up bug #297484 on Launchpad, I opened it last night, we
>> shall see now.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Jim
>>

> Jim,
>
> Similar bugs were reported. I marked yours as a duplicate of Bug #276640.
>
> Regards,
>
> L.

Thank you, I figured that would be the case. I usually come late to
parties as well.

Jim

--
Its only a hobby, only a hobby, only a hobby, only a ho............

Old 11-20-2008, 03:13 AM
"Amit Joshi"

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 8:40 AM, Jim Smith <jim@oz.net> wrote:

*Today Firefox began exhibiting some odd and unwanted behavior. When it

is started it completely fills the screen, covering up the Gnome Panels

and its own Title Bar. Thus I am unable to resize the Firefox window or

switch desktops with the chooser. (Or for that matter "spin the cube" by

rolling the mouse wheel on a free portion of the desktop.) This is an

aggravation as I am used to having more than one thing on separate

desktops. This did not begin to occur until today after the latest round

of updates, which included the newest 2.6.27-8-generic kernel.

Any ideas? Thank you........

Seems like you have enabled the FullScreen option in Firefox. Have you tried pressing F11 (to disable FullScreen) ?

Amit Joshi

Old 11-20-2008, 04:10 AM
Jim Smith

Amit Joshi wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 8:40 AM, Jim Smith <jim@oz.net
> <mailto:jim@oz.net>> wrote:
>
> Today Firefox began exhibiting some odd and unwanted behavior.
> When it
> is started it completely fills the screen, covering up the Gnome
> Panels
> and its own Title Bar. Thus I am unable to resize the Firefox
> window or
> switch desktops with the chooser. (Or for that matter "spin the
> cube" by
> rolling the mouse wheel on a free portion of the desktop.) This is an
> aggravation as I am used to having more than one thing on separate
> desktops. This did not begin to occur until today after the latest
> round
> of updates, which included the newest 2.6.27-8-generic kernel.
>
> Any ideas? Thank you........
>

> Seems like you have enabled the FullScreen option in Firefox. Have you
> tried pressing F11 (to disable FullScreen) ?
>

> --
> Regards,
> Amit Joshi
Check out Bug 276640 on Launchpad. Pretty well covers it all.

Thank you for the reply

Jim

--
Its only a hobby, only a hobby, only a hobby, only a ho............