-   -   Messed up Grub (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/191927-messed-up-grub.html)

douglas Pollard 11-12-2008 12:10 AM

Messed up Grub

I decided to use my sda and sdb drives as one drive. I tried to
reformat my sdb drive using G-parted screwed up and started
partitioning my first hard drive. I stopped it, but I guess messed up
Grub in the process.
I get, ( Grub loading please wait error 22 ) message on attempting
to load the original ubuntu program. I needed online help with this so
I installed ubnuntu from a cd on my second drive to get access to
Ubuntu users group. I believe my original Ubuntu is still on my first
hard drive along with pictures and video but I don't know how to get
back to it. I would like to get my original Ubuntu up and running or
failing that bring the pictures and video to my new instillation.
I tried to send this e-mail using the live Ubuntu Cd but
Mail.Verizon.net would not let me send one for some reason??
I am using Ubuntu 8.04 on a Hp dual processor AMD64 computer.

Samuel Rohde 11-12-2008 12:40 AM

Messed up Grub

Good news, it's very simple to restore GRUB! Just a few lines in the terminal! I had the same problem when I uninstalled a dual boot. You didn't need to install Ubuntu on the other hard drive to do this, in the future just do this from an Ubuntu Live CD. Just follow this script.

Script:

When you get to
the desktop open a terminal and enter. (I am going to give you the
commands and then I will explain them later)
Code:
sudo grub
This will get you a "grub>" prompt (i.e. the grub
shell). At grub>. enter these commands
Code:
find /boot/grub/stage1
This will return a location. If you have more than one, select the
installation that you want to provide the grub files.
Next, THIS
IS IMPORTANT, whatever was returned for the find command use it in
the next line (you are still at grub>. when you enter the next 3
commands)
Code:
root (hd?,?)
Again use the value from the find command i.e. if find returned
(hd0,1) then you would enter root (hd0,1)

Next enter the
command to install grub to the mbr
Code:
setup (hd0)
Finally exit the grub shell
Code:
quit

douglas Pollard 11-12-2008 06:44 PM

Messed up Grub

Samuel Rohde wrote:
> Good news, it's very simple to restore GRUB! Just a few lines in the terminal! I had the same problem when I uninstalled a dual boot. You didn't need to install Ubuntu on the other hard drive to do this, in the future just do this from an Ubuntu Live CD. Just follow this script.
>

> Script:

> When you get to
> the desktop open a terminal and enter. (I am going to give you the
> commands and then I will explain them later)
> Code:
> sudo grub
> This will get you a "grub>" prompt (i.e. the grub
> shell). At grub>. enter these commands
> Code:
> find /boot/grub/stage1
> This will return a location. If you have more than one, select the
> installation that you want to provide the grub files.
> Next, THIS
> IS IMPORTANT, whatever was returned for the find command use it in
> the next line (you are still at grub>. when you enter the next 3
> commands)
> Code:
> root (hd?,?)
> Again use the value from the find command i.e. if find returned
> (hd0,1) then you would enter root (hd0,1)
>
> Next enter the
> command to install grub to the mbr
> Code:
> setup (hd0)
> Finally exit the grub shell
> Code:
> quit

Ok, I think I got grub installed as per your directions though I have
not seen any proof of it yet. I expected to have a choice between
opening up ubuntu on the first drive or ubuntu on the second drive?
Ubuntu just opened on the second drive. How can I open the first
instance of ubuntu on drive 1 before I reformat the second drive to get
rid of ubuntu there?
If I erase Ubuntu on the second drive I will not be able to get on
line for help as my provider ( verizon) will not let me send E-mail by
evolution mail and I cannot send it on the providers email page unless I
have Ubuntu installed. Pretty strange I know but that seems to be the case.

Thanks Doug

steve 11-12-2008 07:19 PM

Messed up Grub

douglas Pollard wrote:
> Samuel Rohde wrote:
>> Good news, it's very simple to restore GRUB! Just a few lines in the terminal! I had the same problem when I uninstalled a dual boot. You didn't need to install Ubuntu on the other hard drive to do this, in the future just do this from an Ubuntu Live CD. Just follow this script.
>>

>> Script:

>> When you get to
>> the desktop open a terminal and enter. (I am going to give you the
>> commands and then I will explain them later)
>> Code:
>> sudo grub
>> This will get you a "grub>" prompt (i.e. the grub
>> shell). At grub>. enter these commands
>> Code:
>> find /boot/grub/stage1
>> This will return a location. If you have more than one, select the
>> installation that you want to provide the grub files.
>> Next, THIS
>> IS IMPORTANT, whatever was returned for the find command use it in
>> the next line (you are still at grub>. when you enter the next 3
>> commands)
>> Code:
>> root (hd?,?)
>> Again use the value from the find command i.e. if find returned
>> (hd0,1) then you would enter root (hd0,1)
>>
>> Next enter the
>> command to install grub to the mbr
>> Code:
>> setup (hd0)
>> Finally exit the grub shell
>> Code:
>> quit

just a thought, cant you unplug the drive 2 and install grub on the
first, then unplug the first and then install grub on second? boot and
repair each separately?

--
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com

"Any people anywhere, being inclined, and having the power, have the
right to rise up and shake off the existing government, and form a new
one that suits them better." Abraham Lincoln 1848

douglas Pollard 11-12-2008 08:07 PM

Messed up Grub

steve wrote:
> douglas Pollard wrote:
>
>> Samuel Rohde wrote:
>>
>>> Good news, it's very simple to restore GRUB! Just a few lines in the terminal! I had the same problem when I uninstalled a dual boot. You didn't need to install Ubuntu on the other hard drive to do this, in the future just do this from an Ubuntu Live CD. Just follow this script.
>>>

>>> Script:
>>>
>>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351
>>>
>>> When you get to
>>> the desktop open a terminal and enter. (I am going to give you the
>>> commands and then I will explain them later)
>>> Code:
>>> sudo grub
>>> This will get you a "grub>" prompt (i.e. the grub
>>> shell). At grub>. enter these commands
>>> Code:
>>> find /boot/grub/stage1
>>> This will return a location. If you have more than one, select the
>>> installation that you want to provide the grub files.
>>> Next, THIS
>>> IS IMPORTANT, whatever was returned for the find command use it in
>>> the next line (you are still at grub>. when you enter the next 3
>>> commands)
>>> Code:
>>> root (hd?,?)
>>> Again use the value from the find command i.e. if find returned
>>> (hd0,1) then you would enter root (hd0,1)
>>>
>>> Next enter the
>>> command to install grub to the mbr
>>> Code:
>>> setup (hd0)
>>> Finally exit the grub shell
>>> Code:
>>> quit

Thanks Doug

Samuel Rohde 11-12-2008 11:04 PM

Messed up Grub

Steve has a really good idea, it sounds like it should work, it's definitely worth a try. But from my experience GRUB is installed with the last Linux distro. installed on the computer, even when GRUB was already on the computer. So if you uninstall the second Ubuntu, GRUB will be uninstalled too. But then again you installed Ubuntu on two hard drives. My only experience with this problem was with one partitioned hard drive. I think Steves idea might work.