Old 11-11-2008, 10:35 PM
NoOp

Default Adobe Reader 8.1.3 (Linux / Sparc Solaris) Released

For those using Adobe Reader 8.1.2 you should update to 8.1.3 as 8.1.2
has several critcal security issues [1]. You can easily do this on Hardy
(I don't have intrepid installed to test on) by downloading the .deb
version from:

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2_allversions.html
or better yet, use gwget or wget to get it from the ftp site:
ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/unix/8.x/8.1.3/enu/

Once downloaded, use Synaptic to remove the Ubuntu/Medibuntu version of
acroread, then open Nautilus & double-click on the
AdobeReader_enu-8.1.3-1.i386.deb file to install. You can of course use
dpkg from the terminal (sudo dpkg -i AdobeReader_enu-8.1.3-1.i386.deb),
but it's just as easy to use Nautilus.

That's it. Added note: the first thing that I generally do w/AR is turn
off internet access & javascript etc., but your mileage may vary.

[1] References:
http://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb08-19.html
[Security Bulletin]
http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb407016
[Release notes]
http://blogs.adobe.com/acroread/
[Announcement]

Old 11-11-2008, 11:06 PM
"Garry Burgess"

Thanks for pointing this out.* I followed your advice.* I'm using it on Intrepid, so I'll know if there are any problems.

[...]

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")-(")