Old 11-11-2008, 08:47 PM
"Barton Phillips"

Default gdm resolution still having a problem

I tried the suggested fix but it didn't seem to do anything. The font in the gdm is so small that I can't read it and therefore have no idea what to do. When I made the following change:
Section "ServerLayout"

*** Identifier*** "Default Layout"
* screen 0 "aticonfig-Screen[0]" 0 0
# <blp 11/11/2008 set virtual so gdm will come up in lower
# resolution>
* SubSection "Display"
************** Virtual 800 600

* EndSubSection
# </blp>
EndSection

and rebooted I got a screen with something asking question which was so small I had no idea what it was saying. I had to Alt-Ctrl-F1 to a console and reedit the xorg.conf script to remove the "fix".

I really don't need the gdm that often as I have the system boot right into my desktop and only on rare occasions do I need to return the the gdm login, but still I would like it to be at a readable font size -- please help.

--
Barton Phillips
Applitec Inc.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:52 AM
NoOp

On 11/11/2008 01:47 PM, Barton Phillips wrote:
> I tried the suggested fix but it didn't seem to do anything. The font in the
> gdm is so small that I can't read it and therefore have no idea what to do.
> When I made the following change:
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
> Identifier "Default Layout"
> screen 0 "aticonfig-Screen[0]" 0 0
> # <blp 11/11/2008 set virtual so gdm will come up in lower
> # resolution>
> SubSection "Display"
> Virtual 800 600
> EndSubSection
> # </blp>
> EndSection
>
> and rebooted I got a screen with something asking question which was so
> small I had no idea what it was saying. I had to Alt-Ctrl-F1 to a console
> and reedit the xorg.conf script to remove the "fix".
>
> I really don't need the gdm that often as I have the system boot right into
> my desktop and only on rare occasions do I need to return the the gdm login,
> but still I would like it to be at a readable font size -- please help.

You didn't continue in whatever thread you refering to so it's not
possible to know what "suggested fix" you tried. However, open xorg.conf
in gedit: gksu gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
and search for all lines with 'virtual'. Change the settings to whatever
is standard for your screen. So, for example:

Virtual 800 600
cahange to 1024 768
etc. Log out & see how that affects your gdm.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:32 PM
"Barton Phillips"

On 11/11/2008 01:47 PM, Barton Phillips wrote:

> I tried the suggested fix but it didn't seem to do anything. The font in the

> gdm is so small that I can't read it and therefore have no idea what to do.

> When I made the following change:

> Section "ServerLayout"

> * * Identifier * *"Default Layout"

> * screen 0 "aticonfig-Screen[0]" 0 0

> # <blp 11/11/2008 set virtual so gdm will come up in lower

> # resolution>

> * SubSection "Display"

> * * * * * * * *Virtual 800 600

> * EndSubSection

> # </blp>

> EndSection

> and rebooted I got a screen with something asking question which was so

> small I had no idea what it was saying. I had to Alt-Ctrl-F1 to a console

> and reedit the xorg.conf script to remove the "fix".

> I really don't need the gdm that often as I have the system boot right into

> my desktop and only on rare occasions do I need to return the the gdm login,

> but still I would like it to be at a readable font size -- please help.

You didn't continue in whatever thread you refering to so it's not

possible to know what "suggested fix" you tried. However, open xorg.conf

in gedit: gksu gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

and search for all lines with 'virtual'. Change the settings to whatever

is standard for your screen. So, for example:

Virtual 800 600

cahange to 1024 768

etc. Log out & see how that affects your gdm.

I am getting the batched version of the emails so it is a little harder to follow threads etc. That is why I explained in my post what the fix was! If you read the post again you will see that I did put Virtual 800 600 in the ServerLayout section which is what the first responder suggested. That didn't seem to work or change the font/resolution at all.

If you know a good way to "follow the thread" when getting the batched emails please let me know. Because there are so many batched emails per day I delete them after I read them. I will however keep this one so I can remember what the thread was called.

--
Barton Phillips
Applitec Inc.