Old 11-11-2008, 04:51 PM
Scott Berry

Default need some help to find three packages

hello there,

I visited the packages repository to look for these packages through a
keyword search using their exact name but I didn't see any packages. I
am looking for:

1. xlibs-dev

2. libmysqlclient12-dev

3. magick6-dev

if some body could please tell me what packages these are in I would
appreciate it.

I use the apt-get command line utility.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:10 PM
Tom Rausner

tir, 11 11 2008 kl. 11:51 -0600, skrev Scott Berry:

> I visited the packages repository to look for these packages through a
> keyword search using their exact name but I didn't see any packages. I
> am looking for:
>
> 1. xlibs-dev
>

> 2. libmysqlclient12-dev
>
> 3. magick6-dev
>
> if some body could please tell me what packages these are in I would
> appreciate it.
>
> I use the apt-get command line utility.

Try using synaptic.
--
Tom Rausner
tom@tomtech.dk

Old 11-11-2008, 05:30 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 1:10 PM, Tom Rausner <tom@rausner.dk> wrote:
> tir, 11 11 2008 kl. 11:51 -0600, skrev Scott Berry:
>
>> I visited the packages repository to look for these packages through a
>> keyword search using their exact name but I didn't see any packages. I
>> am looking for:
>>
>> 1. xlibs-dev
>> 2. libmysqlclient12-dev
>> 3. magick6-dev

Try aptitude search xxx

e.g.
==> aptitude search xlibs
p xlibs-data - transitional package for X11 client data
p xlibs-static-dev - transitional metapackage

==> aptitude search libmysql
p libmysql++-dev - mysql C++ library bindings (development)
p libmysql++2c2a - mysql C++ library bindings (runtime)
p libmysql-java - Java database (JDBC) driver for MySQL
p libmysql-ocaml - OCaml bindings for MySql
p libmysql-ocaml-dev - OCaml bindings for MySql
p libmysql-ruby - MySQL module for Ruby
p libmysql-ruby1.8 - MySQL module for Ruby 1.8
p libmysql5.0-cil - MySQL database connector for CLI
v libmysqlclient-dev -
p libmysqlclient15-dev - MySQL database development files
i A libmysqlclient15off - MySQL database client library

Old 11-11-2008, 08:06 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 11:51:17 -0600
Scott Berry <n7zib@northlc.com> wrote:

> hello there,
>
> I visited the packages repository to look for these packages through a
> keyword search using their exact name but I didn't see any packages.
> I am looking for:
>
> 1. xlibs-dev
>

> 2. libmysqlclient12-dev
>
> 3. magick6-dev
>
> if some body could please tell me what packages these are in I would
> appreciate it.
>
> I use the apt-get command line utility.

These appear to be superceded, maybe. Using rmadison :

charlie@wecan:~$ rmadison xlibs-dev
xlibs-dev | 7.0.0-0ubuntu45 | dapper | all
xlibs-dev | 1:7.2-0ubuntu11 | feisty | all

charlie@wecan:~$ rmadison libmysqlclient12-dev
libmysqlclient12-dev | 4.0.24-10ubuntu2 | dapper/universe | amd64,
i386, powerpc

charlie@wecan:~$ rmadison magick6-dev
charlie@wecan:~$

magick6-dev came up empty, as you see.

good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 11-20-2008, 03:00 AM
"Amit Joshi"

I visited the packages repository to look for these packages through a

keyword search using their exact name but I didn't see any packages. *I

am looking for:

1. *xlibs-dev

2. *libmysqlclient12-dev

3. *magick6-dev

if some body could please tell me what packages these are in I would

appreciate it.

I use the apt-get command line utility.

You can search using
apt-cache search <searchterm>

But this tool is not as efficient as the
aptitude search <searchterm>

Amit Joshi

Old 11-20-2008, 01:59 PM
Derek Broughton

Amit Joshi wrote:

>> You can search using
> apt-cache search <searchterm>
>
> But this tool is not as efficient as the
> aptitude search <searchterm>

It rather depends what you mean by efficient - aptitude is certainly
faster, but apt-cache is more likely to find an answer when you aren't
already certain of the name (and if you know the name, do you really
need to search?).

apt-cache takes a much looser approach to matching the search term. I
generally use apt-cache, and if it returns a huge number of results, I
might retry with aptitude.
--
derek

Old 11-20-2008, 03:31 PM
"Amit Joshi"

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 8:29 PM, Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:

Amit Joshi wrote:

>> You can search using

> apt-cache search <searchterm>

> But this tool is not as efficient as the

> aptitude search <searchterm>

It rather depends what you mean by efficient - aptitude is certainly

faster, but apt-cache is more likely to find an answer when you aren't

already certain of the name (and if you know the name, do you really

need to search?).

apt-cache takes a much looser approach to matching the search term. *I

generally use apt-cache, and if it returns a huge number of results, I

might retry with aptitude.

--

Actually the opposite. Its more like if you aren't able to find something in aptitude, you go for apt-cache which searches with a looser approach. By efficient I meant that aptitude search <searchterm>* flags the search results with i, p, v or whatever (making the OP realize whether the software is installed and stuff like that in a jiffy).

*--
Regards,
Amit Joshi