-   -   System Freezes (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/191532-system-freezes.html)

"Cybe R. Wizard" 11-11-2008 12:46 PM

System Freezes

Jesse Brent Coats <jbcoats@cablespeed.com> said:
> Occasionally my system freezes where the only thing that seems to work
> is to power-off the system. Ctl-Alt delete doesn't work. Ctl-Alt
> PF(1 through 7) doesn't work. Any suggestions?

Ctl-Alt_Backspace to kill the X server.
If that fails see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

"Steve Flynn" 11-11-2008 12:59 PM

System Freezes

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 1:24 PM, Jesse Brent Coats
<jbcoats@cablespeed.com> wrote:
> Occasionally my system freezes where the only thing that seems to work
> is to power-off the system. Ctl-Alt delete doesn't work. Ctl-Alt PF(1
> through 7) doesn't work. Any suggestions?

Does Ctrl-Alt-Backspace have any effect?
Do you have another machine with which you can ssh/telnet into the
"frozen" box with?

If not, given that you can't swap to another session you're not going
to be able to see any messags in the syslog so you're going to want to
attempt to persuade the kernel to close down and flush as much data as
possible to the logs. You can do this with the Alt-SysReq and R, E, I,
S, U B to perform as much of a clean shutdown as possible. This should
(if the Kernel is still remotely responsive) flush logs, free
file-handles and initiate a system reboot. Upion reboot you can take a
look at the syslog and attempt diagnosis of the issue.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key for more info and
other SysReq commands.
--
Steve

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Karl Larsen 11-11-2008 01:21 PM

System Freezes

Jesse Brent Coats wrote:
> Occasionally my system freezes where the only thing that seems to work
> is to power-off the system. Ctl-Alt delete doesn't work. Ctl-Alt PF(1
> through 7) doesn't work. Any suggestions?

Sounds like my hot Video failure with nVidia. I have a motherboard
with this and when it gets too hot it puts a pattern on the screen and
nothing works. You need to power off.

The only fix is keep it cool.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

"Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk" 11-11-2008 04:07 PM

System Freezes

2008/11/11 Jesse Brent Coats <jbcoats@cablespeed.com>:

> Occasionally my system freezes where the only thing that seems to work
> is to power-off the system. Ctl-Alt delete doesn't work. Ctl-Alt PF(1
> through 7) doesn't work. Any suggestions?

I had issues with iwl4965 wireless driver. But this could be something
completely different, and you did not give any details (hardware,
Ubuntu version).

--
Marcin Kowalczyk
qrczak@knm.org.pl