Old 11-11-2008, 08:58 AM
Stephan Schöffel

Default Postfix question (mailman)

I fixed the relay thing by simply putting relayhost = mx1... into main.cf

But now I'm facing a new problem. Is there a way to configure the fqdn
which ist used in the sender address? I set the following line in
/etc/postfix/main.cf

myhostname = lists.myhostname.de

Yet it seems as postfix looks up its own domain name via dns entry and
therefore attaches the domainname delivered by the dns to emails.
Unfortunately the dns entry differs from lists.myhostname.de.

Stephan

--

Dipl.-Inf. (FH) Stephan Schöffel

c/o Fachhochschhule Bingen / University of applied sciences Bingen
Fachbereich 2 - Technik, Informatik und Wirtschaft

Berlinstraße 109
55411 Bingen

Tel: +49 (0) 6721 / 409-250
Fax: +49 (0) 6721 / 409-158
email: schoeffel@fh-bingen.de
Internet: www.fh-bingen.de

Old 11-11-2008, 09:37 AM
Erik Christiansen

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 10:58:49AM +0100, Stephan Schöffel wrote:
> I fixed the relay thing by simply putting relayhost = mx1... into main.cf

Directly editing /etc/postfix/main.cf is an alternative way of doing:

sudo postconf -ev relayhost=[your.isp.mail.host.goes_here]

as described. You are welcome.

> But now I'm facing a new problem. Is there a way to configure the fqdn
> which ist used in the sender address? I set the following line in
> /etc/postfix/main.cf
>
> myhostname = lists.myhostname.de

Did you run:

$ sudo postfix reload

after making the change?

Erik

--
The world is full of willing people, some willing to work, the rest
willing to let them.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:49 AM
Stephan Schöffel

Erik Christiansen schrieb:
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 10:58:49AM +0100, Stephan Schöffel wrote:
>
>> I fixed the relay thing by simply putting relayhost = mx1... into main.cf
>>

> Directly editing /etc/postfix/main.cf is an alternative way of doing:
>
> sudo postconf -ev relayhost=[your.isp.mail.host.goes_here]
>
> as described. You are welcome.
>

>> But now I'm facing a new problem. Is there a way to configure the fqdn
>> which ist used in the sender address? I set the following line in
>> /etc/postfix/main.cf
>>
>> myhostname = lists.myhostname.de
>>

> Did you run:
>
> $ sudo postfix reload

Yes I did. I even rebooted the whole machine. Additionally, I changed
the entry in /etc/mailname. Without effect. Still the wrong domain name
is attached to outbound emails.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:10 AM
Erik Christiansen

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 11:49:56AM +0100, Stephan Schöffel wrote:

> Yes I did. I even rebooted the whole machine. Additionally, I changed
> the entry in /etc/mailname. Without effect. Still the wrong domain name
> is attached to outbound emails.

What does "postconf | grep myorigin" show?
If my guessing is good tonight, what's in /etc/mailname?

--
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
- Ralf Hildebrandt, on postfix-users ML.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:26 AM
Hal Burgiss

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 11:49:56AM +0100, Stephan Sch?ffel wrote:
> >> But now I'm facing a new problem. Is there a way to configure the fqdn
> >> which ist used in the sender address? I set the following line in
> >> /etc/postfix/main.cf
> >>
> >> myhostname = lists.myhostname.de

Look at the $myorigin directive in main.cf. That will probably do it.
If not, most mail sending applications have a way to force the FROM header
to override the system defaults.

'postfix reload' is all that is needed. Restarting, rebooting, etc is
superfluous.

--
Hal

Old 11-11-2008, 10:43 AM
Stephan Schöffel

Erik Christiansen schrieb:
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 11:49:56AM +0100, Stephan Schöffel wrote:
>
>> Yes I did. I even rebooted the whole machine. Additionally, I changed
>> the entry in /etc/mailname. Without effect. Still the wrong domain name
>> is attached to outbound emails.
>>

> What does "postconf | grep myorigin" show?
> If my guessing is good tonight, what's in /etc/mailname?

mailmanadmin@lists:~$ postconf | grep myorigin
append_at_myorigin = yes
myorigin = /etc/mailname
mailmanadmin@lists:~$ cat /etc/mailname
lists.fh-bingen.de

lists.fh-bingen.de is the desired domainname.

Yet the emails sender domain is mailman.inf.fh-bingen.de (as is the
hosts dns entry)

Old 11-11-2008, 11:16 AM
Stephan Schöffel

Stephan Schöffel schrieb:
> Erik Christiansen schrieb:
>
>> On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 11:49:56AM +0100, Stephan Schöffel wrote:
>>

>>> Yes I did. I even rebooted the whole machine. Additionally, I changed
>>> the entry in /etc/mailname. Without effect. Still the wrong domain name
>>> is attached to outbound emails.
>>>

>> What does "postconf | grep myorigin" show?
>> If my guessing is good tonight, what's in /etc/mailname?
>>

> mailmanadmin@lists:~$ postconf | grep myorigin
> append_at_myorigin = yes
> myorigin = /etc/mailname
> mailmanadmin@lists:~$ cat /etc/mailname
> lists.fh-bingen.de
>

> lists.fh-bingen.de is the desired domainname.
>
> Yet the emails sender domain is mailman.inf.fh-bingen.de (as is the
> hosts dns entry)

I figured there is an entry in /etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py:

# Default domain for email addresses of newly created MLs
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'lists.fh-bingen.de'