Old 11-11-2008, 07:16 AM
Stephan Schöffel

Default Postfix question (mailman)

Hello,

I just set up mailman and postfix following this howto:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mailman

Now I need postfix to send outbound mails to a different server using it
as a relay and not to the emails' domains' respective smtp servers (as
it tries to right now). Can someone point me to the right configuration
or manual?

Stephan

Old 11-11-2008, 08:27 AM
Erik Christiansen

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 09:16:40AM +0100, Stephan Schöffel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just set up mailman and postfix following this howto:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mailman

Hmm, that doesn't appear to use a relayhost, if a 20 second glance is
any guide.

> Now I need postfix to send outbound mails to a different server using it
> as a relay and not to the emails' domains' respective smtp servers (as
> it tries to right now). Can someone point me to the right configuration
> or manual?

I found that:

sudo postconf -ev relayhost=[your.isp.mail.host.goes_here]

did it for me. If you enjoy chasing apparently arbitrary silent delivery
failures, then try omitting the square brackets. [1] I found help in the
BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README (see below).

Have you tried:

$ $ postconf readme_directory
readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix

$ postconf html_directory
html_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix/html

If they're not there, then:

$ sudo apt-get install postfix-doc

There is overwhelming expertise on the postfix mailing list, if this one
doesn't suffice. (I'm still migrating my brain from sendmail) There,
though, no advice is offered until you've posted the output of
"postconf -n".

Before posting to the postfix ML, there's no harm in lurking for a day,
to get used to the "Voice From Mount Olympus" contrast to this list.
Wietse Venema is the author of postfix, and doesn't muck about. If his
answer is seven words long, that's all you need to know. Sometimes the
answer is no more than the name of which file in
/usr/share/doc/postfix/html to read.

Good luck.

Erik

[1] The install script for the postfix package had done:

setting relayhost: mail.internode.on.net

which is wrong.

--
A computer is like an air conditioner, it works poorly when you open Windows.