Old 11-11-2008, 06:50 AM

Default Installing Acroread on 64 bit Linux

How do you install acroread on a 64 bit ubuntu?

Thanks

Get a FREE AOL Email account with unlimited storage. Experience Email and instant messaging together - chat while you mail and mail while you chat! Register for your free email account at http://free.aol.com.au

Old 11-13-2008, 01:22 AM
"David Fox"

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 11:50 PM, <vafa@aol.com.au> wrote:
> How do you install acroread on a 64 bit ubuntu?

First if you haven't done so, enable the medibuntu repository. Now,
what version are you running? Hardy or Intrepid?

I'm using http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2008/06/23/install-adobe-acrobat-reader-812-on-ubuntu-804/
as a reference.

So it's for hardy, but substitute intrepid if you're using that.

First of all, add the medibuntu repository. This is for programs that
can't be included in the main ubuntu tree.

$ sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/hardy.list -O
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list

Next, add the medibuntu key ring - that is for security purposes:

$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring &&
sudo apt-get update

Now you can install acroread:

sudo apt-get install acroread

Old 11-13-2008, 01:25 AM
Arman Tarkhanian

I'm not sure, I haven't used Ubuntu lately.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:35 AM
NoOp

On 11/12/2008 06:22 PM, David Fox wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 11:50 PM, <vafa@aol.com.au> wrote:
>> How do you install acroread on a 64 bit ubuntu?
>
> First if you haven't done so, enable the medibuntu repository. Now,
> what version are you running? Hardy or Intrepid?
>
> I'm using http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2008/06/23/install-adobe-acrobat-reader-812-on-ubuntu-804/
> as a reference.
>
> So it's for hardy, but substitute intrepid if you're using that.
>
> First of all, add the medibuntu repository. This is for programs that
> can't be included in the main ubuntu tree.
>
> $ sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/hardy.list -O
> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list
>
> Next, add the medibuntu key ring - that is for security purposes:
>
> $ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring &&
> sudo apt-get update
>
> Now you can install acroread:
>
> sudo apt-get install acroread

And afterwards, once you've verified it's working, have a look at my
prior post regarding AR 8.1.3 and install that version.

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user/164749

The initial install of the medibuntu 8.1.2 version will have pulled in
and installed all of the necessary 32 bit drivers for you. However, be
aware that AR 8.1.x only runs in _emulation mode_ on 64bit machines, so
it will run slower than on 32 bit machines... sort of like running an
app in Wine vs running it directly. And as in the case of many non-64bit
applications, 64bit actually is at a disavantage to 32 bit for the
application.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:36 AM
NoOp

On 11/12/2008 06:25 PM, Arman Tarkhanian wrote:
> I'm not sure, I haven't used Ubuntu lately.

So why are you posting here at all?

Old 11-13-2008, 01:42 AM
Arman Tarkhanian

I'm not.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:44 AM
"David Fox"

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 6:35 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> The initial install of the medibuntu 8.1.2 version will have pulled in
> and installed all of the necessary 32 bit drivers for you. However, be
> aware that AR 8.1.x only runs in _emulation mode_ on 64bit machines, so

So that's a side effect of having 32 bit libraries on a 64 bit box, right?

Old 11-13-2008, 01:46 AM
NoOp

On 11/12/2008 06:42 PM, Arman Tarkhanian wrote:
> I'm not.

Plonk.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:47 AM
NoOp

On 11/12/2008 06:44 PM, David Fox wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 6:35 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> The initial install of the medibuntu 8.1.2 version will have pulled in
>> and installed all of the necessary 32 bit drivers for you. However, be
>> aware that AR 8.1.x only runs in _emulation mode_ on 64bit machines, so
>
> So that's a side effect of having 32 bit libraries on a 64 bit box, right?

Well, more like a side effect of Adobe not providing a 64bit version of
AR despite thousands of requests to do so.