Old 11-11-2008, 03:46 AM
Job Evers

Default Mount points for external hard drive

I have an external hard drive connected via firewire. I'm running 8.04.
I'd like to have my disk mount somewhere besides /media/disk/ and I
also don't need it to show up on my desktop. Does ubuntu use hald? How
do I configure that? What actually mounts the drive? (I thought I read
something about pmount - but I don't have pmount installed)

Thanks,

Old 11-11-2008, 04:17 AM
Matthew Flaschen

Job Evers wrote:
> I have an external hard drive connected via firewire. I'm running 8.04.
> I'd like to have my disk mount somewhere besides /media/disk/ and I
> also don't need it to show up on my desktop. Does ubuntu use hald? How
> do I configure that? What actually mounts the drive? (I thought I read
> something about pmount - but I don't have pmount installed)
>
> Thanks,

I don't know about appearing on the desktop, but you need to label the
disk to keep it from mounting at /media/disk.

Matt Flaschen

Old 11-11-2008, 07:28 AM
Florian Diesch

Job Evers <jobevers@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have an external hard drive connected via firewire. I'm running 8.04.
> I'd like to have my disk mount somewhere besides /media/disk/ and I
> also don't need it to show up on my desktop.

Create an entry in /etc/fstab. It should look like
UUID=20269b52-6c69-47da-9954-dc6954d9638d /home ext3 user,noauto 0 0

You can get the UUID by running
sudo vol_id DEVICE
where DEVICE is your drive's device file (/dev/sdb1 or similar)

Replace ext3 with whatever file system you are using or use auto to
tell Linux to guess. 'man mount' and 'man fstab' will tell you some
more details.

> Does ubuntu use hald? How
> do I configure that? What actually mounts the drive? (I thought I read
> something about pmount - but I don't have pmount installed)

HAL uses /usr/lib/hal/hal-storage-mount.
AFAIK pmount only uses mount points in /media.

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>

Old 11-11-2008, 07:19 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 22:46 -0600, Job Evers wrote:
> also don't need it to show up on my desktop

Press Alt+F2
Enter "gconf-editor" and run it.
In the tree view on the left, navigate to /apps/nautilus/desktop
Uncheck "volumes_visible"