Old 11-10-2008, 10:51 PM
hippie dream

Default Remote Desktop File Transfer

Hello,

Is there any way to setup a remote desktop so that files from the remote
desktop are easily moved to my main computer (running 8.10)? I use rdesktop
and then connect to my school's server. It would be really nice to transfer
files from their server to my computer without having to email them back and
forth. Is this even possible?

For the record, I think Intrepid is quite good and all the little features
added are actually useful. Thanks!

Sam

Old 11-10-2008, 11:14 PM
"Owen Townend"

2008/11/11 hippie dream <tonightsthenight@gmail.com>:

> Hello,
>
> Is there any way to setup a remote desktop so that files from the remote
> desktop are easily moved to my main computer (running 8.10)? I use rdesktop
> and then connect to my school's server. It would be really nice to transfer
> files from their server to my computer without having to email them back and
> forth. Is this even possible?
>
> For the record, I think Intrepid is quite good and all the little features
> added are actually useful. Thanks!
>
> Sam

Hey,
Making a few assumptions (correct me if I'm wrong)
You're using rdesktop from your Ubuntu machine to connect to your
school's Windows server.

From your Ubuntu box use `rdesktop -u sam -r disk:samtmp=/home/sam/tmp 1.2.3.4`
Where 1.2.3.4 would be substituted for your school server address and
'/home/sam/tmp' is the local directory you want access to from the
rdesktop session and 'sam' is your remote username.
You'd then type ' sclientsamtmp' into the address bar in your
remote session to get access.

cheers,
Owen.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:09 AM
Derek Broughton

Owen Townend wrote:

> From your Ubuntu box use `rdesktop -u sam -r
> disk:samtmp=/home/sam/tmp 1.2.3.4` Where 1.2.3.4 would be substituted
> for your school server address and
> '/home/sam/tmp' is the local directory you want access to from the
> rdesktop session and 'sam' is your remote username.
> You'd then type ' sclientsamtmp' into the address bar in your
> remote session to get access.

You know, I've been using rdp for at least 3 years, and haven't seen this - thanks!
--
derek

Old 11-11-2008, 12:39 AM
"Owen Townend"

2008/11/11 Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca>:
> Owen Townend wrote:
>
>> From your Ubuntu box use `rdesktop -u sam -r
>> disk:samtmp=/home/sam/tmp 1.2.3.4` Where 1.2.3.4 would be substituted
>> for your school server address and
>> '/home/sam/tmp' is the local directory you want access to from the
>> rdesktop session and 'sam' is your remote username.
>> You'd then type ' sclientsamtmp' into the address bar in your
>> remote session to get access.
>
> You know, I've been using rdp for at least 3 years, and haven't seen this - thanks!
> --
> derek

Heh, no worries.
I found it a while back while exploring: the windows remote desktop
client has an option to share local drives to the remote session and I
wondered if the linux client had it implemented. Comes in handy.

cheers,
Owen.

--
`apt-cache search 'kitchen sink'` returns emacs...

Old 11-11-2008, 12:56 AM
NoOp

On 11/10/2008 05:09 PM, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Owen Townend wrote:
>
>> From your Ubuntu box use `rdesktop -u sam -r
>> disk:samtmp=/home/sam/tmp 1.2.3.4` Where 1.2.3.4 would be substituted
>> for your school server address and
>> '/home/sam/tmp' is the local directory you want access to from the
>> rdesktop session and 'sam' is your remote username.
>> You'd then type ' sclientsamtmp' into the address bar in your
>> remote session to get access.
>
> You know, I've been using rdp for at least 3 years, and haven't seen this - thanks!

If you use the Terminal Server client (gnome) and set for RDP, all you
need to do is select the Local Resources|Remotely map your disk
drive|check the box > add my local drive to the remote computer. Log
into the remote Windows machine.

You can then tranfer to/from as long as the directories have sharing r/w
enabled. That's it - just log into the Win machine & you'll see your
ubuntu drive listed. As always, just be _very_ careful on what you
transfer back & forth :-)